What's your 'door side' manner like?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
For me it depends. By late afternoon I'm exhausted. Lots of walk ins this time of year. Takes a bit out of me to keep answering the door.
Yesterday I was on.
Had a guy who had just had a rough time at another place come to the door. Looking for A/C and a friendly face. He got both. Plus, we're paisanos. And I didn't pick on his MLB hat from the wrong team. Well, I did, but I'm from there so it was OK.
Previous place the owner yelled at him and said they didn't have A/C (it was wicked humid here) so they left.
I've only yelled at a few people and only one this year.

Oh my....I would NEVER yell at anyone...that is not good PR. Heck that may even get a review from him on TA. He had interaction with an innkeeper, it was not good..so he can post something. But that aside, I don't care what my mood or the weather,
I would always be polite...even if short. "I am sorry, we don't have anything available tonight."

Heat can really play havoc on someone's mood. We don't get very many walk ins or even unexpected stoppers by.

But the first thing I do is have them step in out of the heat. That usually helps everyone's mood.

Always, always put that smile on your face and be pleasant. Every interaction you have with the public reflects on your business. Yes, it's a pain and sometimes I deserve an academy award. When you close the door or hang up the phone you can have attitude.
This time of year we get folks driving in who stayed here maybe 20 years ago. It meant something to them. It's a pain in my neck but I always am kind. It's just part of hospitality.

Oh my....I would NEVER yell at anyone...that is not good PR. Heck that may even get a review from him on TA. He had interaction with an innkeeper, it was not good..so he can post something. But that aside, I don't care what my mood or the weather,
I would always be polite...even if short. "I am sorry, we don't have anything available tonight.".
Funny thing was I knew just where he had been without even asking. They were a really sweet couple so I have no idea what they did to incite the yelling. But I do know where they have gone first when the first question is, 'Do YOU have A/C?'.
(I generally only yell when I find you in my house wandering around in my bedroom.) Altho I did get testy with the couple who were lost and kept hanging up on me and then calling back saying they were lost again. Who were grousing at each other and who are still not speaking. (I'd like to start a whole other thread about guests who were either raised by wolves or who had/have live-in household staff who follow them around picking up after them.)

I once got dinged by a guest in a review because I answered with "We gave at the office" and they didn't have a sense of humour.

I've not yelled at anyone (yet). I generally only get peeved when I find undisclosed damage after the guests leave. Fortunately, that is rare.
We don't get walk-ins here, and rarely need AC. This is one of those rare years. Fortunately on the very hottest days, we didn't have guests. I have a window unit I will put in our small room if needed. I will determine its needed when I won't be able to sleep without it and put one in our bedroom. I havent figured out what to do about our large room. Window units won't work, and even the portables need to be vented out, and no good way to do that either without putting holes in the custom screens.
Now the days are shorter it cools down a bit faster in the evenings, but our hottest days are typically in August, which is just around the corner......
Most of the last-minuters phone. I say "one moment, I'll check", then say all full if that is the case (and this year it often is)
My degree of 'on-ness' depends on how tired I am. This year I'm tired a lot. I'm afraid the years have decided to let me know they're creeping up on me. I'm always good for conversation at breakfast, but in the evening I'm just not bright anymore, but always polite. :)

I've not yelled at anyone (yet). I generally only get peeved when I find undisclosed damage after the guests leave. Fortunately, that is rare.
We don't get walk-ins here, and rarely need AC. This is one of those rare years. Fortunately on the very hottest days, we didn't have guests. I have a window unit I will put in our small room if needed. I will determine its needed when I won't be able to sleep without it and put one in our bedroom. I havent figured out what to do about our large room. Window units won't work, and even the portables need to be vented out, and no good way to do that either without putting holes in the custom screens.
Now the days are shorter it cools down a bit faster in the evenings, but our hottest days are typically in August, which is just around the corner......
Most of the last-minuters phone. I say "one moment, I'll check", then say all full if that is the case (and this year it often is)
My degree of 'on-ness' depends on how tired I am. This year I'm tired a lot. I'm afraid the years have decided to let me know they're creeping up on me. I'm always good for conversation at breakfast, but in the evening I'm just not bright anymore, but always polite. :).
and even the portables need to be vented out,
I have one portable unit - the one on wheels with a hose that I do not have to lift into the window or onto a shelf. What I like about it is my screen stays down - I do not have to stuff the gap where the screen his the A/C unit. The hose fits into a piece of plastic that adjusts to fit into the window and the window comes down on that to hold it in place. There is no ugly unit sticking out the window. It has a drip pan and shuts off automatically when it gets full so no worries about overflow. The hose does take up space - my plumber told me that I can shorten the hose. I have not, but I did scrunch it compact (it is one of those expanding hoses).

My degree of 'on-ness' depends on how tired I am. This year I'm tired a lot. I'm afraid the years have decided to let me know they're creeping up on me. I'm always good for conversation at breakfast, but in the evening I'm just not bright anymore, but always polite. :).
I have one portable unit - the one on wheels with a hose that I do not have to lift into the window or onto a shelf. What I like about it is my screen stays down - I do not have to stuff the gap where the screen his the A/C unit. The hose fits into a piece of plastic that adjusts to fit into the window and the window comes down on that to hold it in place. There is no ugly unit sticking out the window. It has a drip pan and shuts off automatically when it gets full so no worries about overflow. The hose does take up space - my plumber told me that I can shorten the hose. I have not, but I did scrunch it compact (it is one of those expanding hoses).
gillumhouse said:
All our rooms that face the front have these and they work really well. (Due to the Historic Society that reside four doors down the street)

gillumhouse said:
All our rooms that face the front have these and they work really well. (Due to the Historic Society that reside four doors down the street)
Are you happy with make and model? Care to share?
how do you vent them?

there is no way that I will let a guest feel my bad mood. I always come out to greet them no matter what the weather or the mood. If we had a little tiff at the house (it's difficult to work and live together...) I always have a smile and a friendly welcome on my face. The guest deserves nothing less, right?

gillumhouse said:
how do you vent them?
Each one is a different make and model. Make sure it runs without the timer since we have one that only runs on the timer and when the time done, off it goes..... We get them on sale. (discount store etc.) The leftovers goes on sale in the fall to get rid of them.... Price range $150-300. They all work well. Just checked, Maytag, Whirlpool, and a Haier. Maytag is my favorite since it easy to work and blows icy air.
We raise the windows and it's hose is connected to a piece of plastic which slides to fit the window (ours is too wide of a window so we add plastic onto its own.) So it sits there with the window resting on it with the machine on the floor. Once a week we make the rounds with a cookie sheet with sides. We empty the water from the machine in the tray and a rag soaks up the water.... on to the next one. When summer is over, we raise the window and scrunch up the hose and roll it down the hall to the big closet where it is stored until next year.

gillumhouse said:
how do you vent them?
Each one is a different make and model. Make sure it runs without the timer since we have one that only runs on the timer and when the time done, off it goes..... We get them on sale. (discount store etc.) The leftovers goes on sale in the fall to get rid of them.... Price range $150-300. They all work well. Just checked, Maytag, Whirlpool, and a Haier. Maytag is my favorite since it easy to work and blows icy air.
We raise the windows and it's hose is connected to a piece of plastic which slides to fit the window (ours is too wide of a window so we add plastic onto its own.) So it sits there with the window resting on it with the machine on the floor. Once a week we make the rounds with a cookie sheet with sides. We empty the water from the machine in the tray and a rag soaks up the water.... on to the next one. When summer is over, we raise the window and scrunch up the hose and roll it down the hall to the big closet where it is stored until next year.
Here are photos of my favorite one. Sorry about the quality of the photos. Its an old cell phone.
Picture0730152240_1.jpg

Picture0730152236_1.jpg

gillumhouse said:
how do you vent them?
I will look in the morning for the brand. Mine has a remote so the guest can on/off/up/down the temp without having to get up. I really like not having to carry it, pick it up to put it in the window and take it out again in the Fall. I also do not have to lift it on/off a shelf in the storage room. Still have 2 lifters - maybe next year I can replace them. The utility bills killed replacing them this year - it was a BAD winter.

gillumhouse said:
how do you vent them?
Here are photos of my favorite one. Sorry about the quality of the photos. Its an old cell phone.
Picture0730152240_1.jpg

Picture0730152236_1.jpg

Thank you!

I have never yelled at a guest, but my one irritant, besides damage to a room, is when people do not knock at the door, or ring the bell, but just walk in. Even an hour early! If I have let them in once, they can go in and out as they please. Our house looks like 2-3 others in the neighborhood, fairly modern. We do not have a commercial sign beside our door. Primarily this is my home, secondarily a bnb. (Or did I transpose that?)

When people walk in without a knock or ring, I tend to say in a stern voice, "May I help you?" I lighten up later in the visit. They must not have been too offended. They tipped me. :)

Speaking of which, would you rather have: 1) review on TA; 2) nice comment in guest book, or 3) tip?

I have never yelled at a guest, but my one irritant, besides damage to a room, is when people do not knock at the door, or ring the bell, but just walk in. Even an hour early! If I have let them in once, they can go in and out as they please. Our house looks like 2-3 others in the neighborhood, fairly modern. We do not have a commercial sign beside our door. Primarily this is my home, secondarily a bnb. (Or did I transpose that?)

When people walk in without a knock or ring, I tend to say in a stern voice, "May I help you?" I lighten up later in the visit. They must not have been too offended. They tipped me. :)

Speaking of which, would you rather have: 1) review on TA; 2) nice comment in guest book, or 3) tip?.
TA review all the way. No one can see the room comments until they've actually booked with you and are in the room. The tips all go to the housekeeper. So for me as the business owner, a great TA review is huge.

Speaking of which, would you rather have: 1) review on TA; 2) nice comment in guest book, or 3) tip?.
This is why we have gone to an always locked door. Of course, if a guest lets someone in or a guest leaves the door wide open, then we deal with it.
I'd rather have the tip. We have so few reviews that money in my pocket makes more sense!

How about a great review and a hefty tip!!!!!
wink_smile.gif
Or is that asking too much?

My door is locked. I'm almost to the point of putting up a sign that says "ring once for the innkeeper, twice for the ogre." just to see if that will stop people from ringing TWICE. It's really annoying when they ring twice. Nothing gets me more peeved... right before I answer the door than someone who thinks it is acceptable to ring TWICE. UGH! Maybe I should get a doorbell that engages a zapper for 2 seconds in case you ring twice. One you are fine, the second time, it's like one of those police zappers.

Back