What's your 'door side' manner like?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never yelled at a guest, but my one irritant, besides damage to a room, is when people do not knock at the door, or ring the bell, but just walk in. Even an hour early! If I have let them in once, they can go in and out as they please. Our house looks like 2-3 others in the neighborhood, fairly modern. We do not have a commercial sign beside our door. Primarily this is my home, secondarily a bnb. (Or did I transpose that?)

When people walk in without a knock or ring, I tend to say in a stern voice, "May I help you?" I lighten up later in the visit. They must not have been too offended. They tipped me. :)

Speaking of which, would you rather have: 1) review on TA; 2) nice comment in guest book, or 3) tip?.
We have an automatic locking front door with a sign pointing to the door bell saying "Please ring for the innkeeper".
I'd rather have a nice comment in the guest book.

I am probably a bit overly friendly as I shake hands with the guests and meet them as I would at a dinner party or other social setting. If my wife comes in, I introduce her semi-formally. Then we sit down in the parlor (where our check in deck is located) and have a friendly chat with some small talk, plans for their stay, suggestions on restaurants and activities, and any thing that might be in common between us. We have developed some lasting relationships with many of our guests. Just in the two months that we've been here, we have already had several guests return!

I have never yelled at a guest, but my one irritant, besides damage to a room, is when people do not knock at the door, or ring the bell, but just walk in. Even an hour early! If I have let them in once, they can go in and out as they please. Our house looks like 2-3 others in the neighborhood, fairly modern. We do not have a commercial sign beside our door. Primarily this is my home, secondarily a bnb. (Or did I transpose that?)

When people walk in without a knock or ring, I tend to say in a stern voice, "May I help you?" I lighten up later in the visit. They must not have been too offended. They tipped me. :)

Speaking of which, would you rather have: 1) review on TA; 2) nice comment in guest book, or 3) tip?.
My door is locked. I'm almost to the point of putting up a sign that says "ring once for the innkeeper, twice for the ogre." just to see if that will stop people from ringing TWICE. It's really annoying when they ring twice. Nothing gets me more peeved... right before I answer the door than someone who thinks it is acceptable to ring TWICE. UGH! Maybe I should get a doorbell that engages a zapper for 2 seconds in case you ring twice. One you are fine, the second time, it's like one of those police zappers.
ROFL!! The zapper is a great idea! It usually takes us a minute or two to stop what we are doing and get to the front door so we usually get the double ring. Now we just expect it.

My door is locked. I'm almost to the point of putting up a sign that says "ring once for the innkeeper, twice for the ogre." just to see if that will stop people from ringing TWICE. It's really annoying when they ring twice. Nothing gets me more peeved... right before I answer the door than someone who thinks it is acceptable to ring TWICE. UGH! Maybe I should get a doorbell that engages a zapper for 2 seconds in case you ring twice. One you are fine, the second time, it's like one of those police zappers.
Funny, although (when I actually get started), I have my eye on the electronic device (doorbell) that does not ring. Instead, it sends a message to your cellphone, so you can talk with them.
I don't want doorbells ringing to annoy other guests. Although door knocking, I don't know how to prevent.

Our door is BIG and HEAVY and from 1800s, so people naturally thinks its locks. So they look around and see two doorbells; one from 1800s and one from late 1900s. So they push one. Wait two seconds. Push the other one. Two more seconds. Push each one again....

ROFL!! The zapper is a great idea! It usually takes us a minute or two to stop what we are doing and get to the front door so we usually get the double ring. Now we just expect it.
No.. I mean they ring the doorbell twice, like they are the damn mailman. They don't wait... they push TWICE. I get so man that one of these days I might actually SLAP someone. It's the one thing that I can't abide. I think it's so RUDE. Ding, ding and then pause. I'm serious.... I want something to stop it. Like a lock out mechanism. The second time you push it says something like "Are you ____ kidding me? This button has a 30 second time-out. Wait patiently, dumb___."
Frankly, maybe I should make out and patent it and sell it. I wonder how many people would buy a doorbell like that.

No.. I mean they ring the doorbell twice, like they are the damn mailman. They don't wait... they push TWICE. I get so man that one of these days I might actually SLAP someone. It's the one thing that I can't abide. I think it's so RUDE. Ding, ding and then pause. I'm serious.... I want something to stop it. Like a lock out mechanism. The second time you push it says something like "Are you ____ kidding me? This button has a 30 second time-out. Wait patiently, dumb___."
Frankly, maybe I should make out and patent it and sell it. I wonder how many people would buy a doorbell like that.
We used to have the front desk bell ringer too close to the front desk so we moved it. It made the people jump and scream! Maybe that's the solution! I can see it in the reviews, don't ring doorbell twice!
Also one dryer buzzer sound very close to the 1800s doorbell. We have gone to answer the door to find out the sheets are now dry instead.

We used to have the front desk bell ringer too close to the front desk so we moved it. It made the people jump and scream! Maybe that's the solution! I can see it in the reviews, don't ring doorbell twice!
Also one dryer buzzer sound very close to the 1800s doorbell. We have gone to answer the door to find out the sheets are now dry instead.
Duff2014 said:
That's funny!

I like the idea of that sign. For us it is mostly a problem in the wee hours of morning during ski season when it is cold out, the second delayed ring comes just about the time my ear is right beside the inside chime as I walk to the door. My idea for a sign is "each additional ring of the doorbell adds $5 to the room rate".
It has been some years, but one young man rang the doorbell repeatedly until I reached the door, this at 1 or 2 AM, my door side manner was lacking, sort of upset his girl friend when I suggested we were not suitable for their needs and they should keep looking.

We have a door bell and a knocker. some take great pride and do both.
I like a holograph with a wizard face that went on and said in a deep deep voice. H e l lo. We will be there shortly.
I like a comment in our book but even more I like when they say it to our face. Then I feel it is the real thing. T..A is for loud mouth people that want to make a statement having a dream of making it to print. And they finally did. LOL Those are just not my words.
If they were serious about how they felt they would tell you in body language and chatting. But to put it on public form . Not sure I can really believe they were serious. A good review or a bad one. If you cannot stand up and face some one then can you really believe !?

I like a holograph with a wizard face that went on and said in a deep deep voice. H e l lo. We will be there shortly.
I like a comment in our book but even more I like when they say it to our face. Then I feel it is the real thing. T..A is for loud mouth people that want to make a statement having a dream of making it to print. And they finally did. LOL Those are just not my words.
If they were serious about how they felt they would tell you in body language and chatting. But to put it on public form . Not sure I can really believe they were serious. A good review or a bad one. If you cannot stand up and face some one then can you really believe !?
I get a TON of compliments to my face and even in our guest book, but very few on TA.

I get a TON of compliments to my face and even in our guest book, but very few on TA.
See I like it that way. You are not asking for a compliment . Or if they are satisfied They did tell you with there heart.
Guest books Well lets just say if I really believe them. I would some times be walking on water. Find some times people go over board just like T A reviews.

Back