What's Your Hurricane Policy?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No hurricanes here, but lots of snow. Last winter I had a couple coming from different directions to meet for a romantic week-end. She got here in a blizzard, but the road was closed before he could arrive. He was stuck down in town and had to spend the night alone in a motel. I made dinner for her and we played Scrabble long into the night. I don't think that was quite what she had in mind for that night, but I enjoyed it. I would never charge someone who couldn't get here because of weather conditions, but in the case of these two the room was used, unfortunately by only one, but of course that did require payment. I think charging and giving a rain check for a later date is a good idea; and I'll do that in the future. Even if they do take it on a night when I could have booked to someone else, it beats what I have been doing because it allows me to charge and give something in return. There's no way i want to make a guest or potential guest "the enemy".
Actually I have never charged anyone who hasn't stayed here, no matter what the reason; and I have only had a few people who have "skunked" me. I have a cancellation policy which hopefully keeps most folks honest, and I tell people they can be charged for a last minute cancellation, but I never do it. However, after reading comments on this website for several months I think I will get more serious about how I deal with at least some people. I'm probably still a sucker for a good excuse, but those who irritate me are going to get charged. I've learned a few things from you all, including the fact that up to now I would probably have a hard time making a charge stick it if was protested. So lately when I confirm a reservation I tell the guest to please read the cancellation policy and let me know if they have any questions.

If we get a hurricane here we're in trouble!
Actually, last year we got the tail end of Ike, just a big wind storm but lots of branches down and they closed the county fair on the first day. We had guests from Galveston and we gave them a BIG discount when they extended their stay.
We are trying to make money at this, but we're not trying to make enemies. Technically, a no show or a cancellation with less than 7 days notice would get charged their entire stay. In reality, I'm generous and would have a very hard time charging it. Bad weather here would hit at our slowest season anyway, so while I'd really like the money, it's not the part of the year where we're really earning the bulk of our income.
I like the "if the roads are closed we're closed" policy. Although so far the times the roads were closed (well, or at least you weren't allowed to park on them) we were open and had guests.
Didn't help much, did I?
=)
Kk..
Actually - you sort of brought it all to a head. It really shows how good professional innkeepers are at working with guests. It takes a special set of skills to have solid policies in place and yet have the intuition to know when those rules need to be altered. Nuance and intuitive actions are so important. We should celebrate that!

I think for a trip to Hawaii (esp. during hurricane season) I'd seriously consider trip insurance....
We let you off the hook in a second- of course we would probably be doing an exchange anyway!
knkbnb said:
We let you off the hook in a second- of course we would probably be doing an exchange anyway!
We'd love to have you any time!
=)
Kk.

For a hurricane, or any named storm for that matter, it's my call and on my terms. End of discussion. I will close for a storm no later than the 48 hour warning. If guests have not already arrived yet, I will cancel and refund 100% of any payment made in advance, no penalty. If guests are already onboard, I will close and refund the remainder of their stay without penalty, and they have to leave.
My reasoning: If I choose to weather out a storm, it's too much risk for me to have anyone inexperienced on board. I have found the inexperienced "helpers" get in my way more than they help, and they often hurt themselves (example - some people think they can help fend off a 43 ton vessel from a piling...uhhh, no, you'll get your arm squished, and ripped off, if you put it between the boat and the piling - I have 1,100 ponies in the engine rooms to help with that maneuver). If I don't choose to weather out a storm in my slip, then I will move the vessel to some place to be determined based upon the direction of the storm, or it might be to go up the river, haul her out, and put her on land with tie downs in to the concrete below.
While most of you can't really compare to my situation, you can relate to my policy about refunds. To me, a named storm is just so unfortunate for everyone, ESPECIALLY ME! But, at the same time, I just can't find it in myself to make people pay for stay where I tell them either the can't come or to get out. Hence, my refund policy. I'm just not one of those who simply relies on the statement, "That's what travel insurance is for" when it comes to the wrath of Mother Nature.

Never been near a hurricane other than the aftermath leftover rain/wind - and that was enough thank you. The last tornado here was in 1944 - something I totally appreciate after living 24 years in one of the tornado alleys. We get snow and some areas get flooded out (not me thank you) but even with my "Grandma died" etc I treat them on a case by case - meaning did they wait until they were supposed to be arriving. And if it was truly a weather issue (we do get those annoying sound "neek-neek-neek" weather bulletins on the radio and TV to know) forget it. I do not want anyone to risk life & limb (although I did drive 200 miles @ 25 mph as top speed to watch my brother play basketball - hey, I had taken a vacation day to see him!).

In another line...does anyone have a policy on motorcyclists? Curious if you deal with torrential rains and the bikers not being able to get to you differently from anything else?

In another line...does anyone have a policy on motorcyclists? Curious if you deal with torrential rains and the bikers not being able to get to you differently from anything else?.
Bikers watch the weather reports and "enlightened ones" will either cancel in the cancel period or park the bike and use a car. I have had bikers use the car - BUT I also had bikers who came on bikes on a Thursday after I notified them we had had a freak snowstorm on Tuesday and suggested the use of 4-wheels. As expected the snow was gone by Thursday, but it was not a guarantee. I would probably just cancel with no problem. As a former rider, I would not want someone coming because I was going to charge them anyway.

In another line...does anyone have a policy on motorcyclists? Curious if you deal with torrential rains and the bikers not being able to get to you differently from anything else?.
Bikers watch the weather reports and "enlightened ones" will either cancel in the cancel period or park the bike and use a car. I have had bikers use the car - BUT I also had bikers who came on bikes on a Thursday after I notified them we had had a freak snowstorm on Tuesday and suggested the use of 4-wheels. As expected the snow was gone by Thursday, but it was not a guarantee. I would probably just cancel with no problem. As a former rider, I would not want someone coming because I was going to charge them anyway.
They booked today for tomorrow. But we've had scattered torrential storms today (just got a walk-in bicyclist who was caught and just tired of fighting it) and the same is forecast for tomorrow. It really depends on where they are, what they're going to be hit with. It could be sunny here and hailing where they are. And all they have is the motorcycle.

They booked today for tomorrow. But we've had scattered torrential storms today (just got a walk-in bicyclist who was caught and just tired of fighting it) and the same is forecast for tomorrow. It really depends on where they are, what they're going to be hit with. It could be sunny here and hailing where they are. And all they have is the motorcycle.
If they have rain gear and booked today for tomorrow - they will be there most likely. I have ridden in some powerful rains - not happy with doing it, but I did it.

Back