What's your take on 2 beds in a room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Would you not stay at a B&B where the only rooms they had remaining had 2 beds? Would you always pick the room with one bed vs the room with 2 beds? Even at the same price?
Why? What is the pox associated with 2 beds? Thinking the room is going to be too small? What's the thinking?
Usually what I hear is this, 'Oh, we don't need a room that big.' When I tell them the price is the same it does not change their minds. This is sight unseen. They have not seen the rooms online or in person (altho I get that in person also).

Something I have been noticing lately - parents reserving 2 rooms instead of sharing a room with their teen/young adult child.

When traveling I usually ask for 1 bed but will take a room with two beds rather than having to hang up and call my 2nd choice especially if the price is the same.
Unsure of the thinking there. Here there is a pricing difference in my rooms with 2 beds so I don't have the same arrangement as you.
If you are seeing a shift in the trend like you mentioned you may want to remove those 2nd beds as you have mentioned before on other threads.

Depends on the bed size... tell me the bed size is a full/double and I'm gone. I'm sleeping in a queen or larger. Not staying in a room with anything less.

I have noticed opposite - recently had a coupe of grand parents wanting to share the queen bed with 11 year old granddaughter!!!!!- are you kidding?!

i would definitely take the room with 2 beds if that is what you have left. i only need one bed, i'm fine in a twin bed, but love a bigger bed.
i guess my knee jerk reaction as a would-be guest is that i'd have less room if there are 2 beds in the room so i would want to know the room isn't crowded.
i often said 'the room has a king bed ... full bath ... desk and chair ... fireplace ... wing chair with ottoman ... twin day bed ... you can see pictures at xyz ' i mentioned the additional bed towards the end of the description

Depends on the bed size... tell me the bed size is a full/double and I'm gone. I'm sleeping in a queen or larger. Not staying in a room with anything less..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Depends on the bed size... tell me the bed size is a full/double and I'm gone. I'm sleeping in a queen or larger. Not staying in a room with anything less.
Beds are queen and twin or 2 queen beds. No double beds.

i would definitely take the room with 2 beds if that is what you have left. i only need one bed, i'm fine in a twin bed, but love a bigger bed.
i guess my knee jerk reaction as a would-be guest is that i'd have less room if there are 2 beds in the room so i would want to know the room isn't crowded.
i often said 'the room has a king bed ... full bath ... desk and chair ... fireplace ... wing chair with ottoman ... twin day bed ... you can see pictures at xyz ' i mentioned the additional bed towards the end of the description.
This is why I'm torn - guests call and say, 'Thank goodness! You were clear the room has 2 beds, we need 2 beds! Do you know how hard it is to find a B&B with 2 beds in the room???'
And then the caller who says, '2 beds? What do I need 2 beds for? No thanks!' and they hang up. If they give me a chance I tell them (ha, ha) they don't have to sleep in both beds! Nothing doing.
So, what I have been doing is 'forgetting' to mention the second bed unless they ask for a second bed.
'Yes, I have a queen room on the first floor or second floor, which would work for you?' Bingo! They book and that's that. If they then ask for a room with a second bed, I say, 'Yes, I have a room with 2 beds on the first floor or the second floor, which would work for you?'

And I am getting calls for 2 beds. Not here. This was never a mansion. Rooms are too small for 2 beds.

i often said 'the room has a king bed ... full bath ... desk and chair ... fireplace ... wing chair with ottoman ... twin day bed ... you can see pictures at xyz ' i mentioned the additional bed towards the end of the description.
This is why I'm torn - guests call and say, 'Thank goodness! You were clear the room has 2 beds, we need 2 beds! Do you know how hard it is to find a B&B with 2 beds in the room???'
And then the caller who says, '2 beds? What do I need 2 beds for? No thanks!' and they hang up. If they give me a chance I tell them (ha, ha) they don't have to sleep in both beds! Nothing doing.
So, what I have been doing is 'forgetting' to mention the second bed unless they ask for a second bed.
'Yes, I have a queen room on the first floor or second floor, which would work for you?' Bingo! They book and that's that. If they then ask for a room with a second bed, I say, 'Yes, I have a room with 2 beds on the first floor or the second floor, which would work for you?'
exactly ... if this is a problem you are running into ... if they don't mention the need for a second bed, i wouldn't mention it
i also had bolster pillows with velcro that held them on the ends that made the smaller second bed in one of the rooms look like a daybed even though that one was just a regular twin.
Madeleine said:

Depends on the bed size... tell me the bed size is a full/double and I'm gone. I'm sleeping in a queen or larger. Not staying in a room with anything less..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, then start that way... without mentioning that it has two rooms, say that you have a room with queen sized bed. Forget mentioning the second bed, it's just a place to dump stuff if you are staying in one bed.

I wish I had room to have a two-bed room. I don't, so I don't really track the need for it, but there are some requests, and the other 2 B&B's in town don't have that option either.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, then start that way... without mentioning that it has two rooms, say that you have a room with queen sized bed. Forget mentioning the second bed, it's just a place to dump stuff if you are staying in one bed.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
i agree w this. I have stayed in places without being told there was a day bed. It didn't worry me. Twin beds are frowned upon nowadays. Two beds in a hotel is either two doubles or two queens. I will always choose that over one king, sagging in the middle.
Ask what they are looking for first, I always ask "how many people..."

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
i agree w this. I have stayed in places without being told there was a day bed. It didn't worry me. Twin beds are frowned upon nowadays. Two beds in a hotel is either two doubles or two queens. I will always choose that over one king, sagging in the middle.
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
And yet, the room with the 2 queen beds is the slowest to book. Absolutely could be the price. But without telling the price I get, 'That's too big!'

Madeleine said:
Usually what I hear is this, 'Oh, we don't need a room that big.' When I tell them the price is the same it does not change their minds. This is sight unseen. They have not seen the rooms online or in person (altho I get that in person also).
"Oh, we don't need a room that big" = I don't want to pay that much. It could have 1,2 or 5 beds, they just don't like the price. I get it all the time with our suites...they're looking for a cheaper room.

When we had a bedroom with 2 twin beds it was always the last one to book. Now that bedroom is set up with be king and books all the time and the bedroom looks larger. It was the best change we did - for a few guests that are looking for 2 beds was not worth it.

Our room with the day bed as well as the queen is our best selling room! The other, smaller room, acts as overflow. It has one queen bed.

When we had a bedroom with 2 twin beds it was always the last one to book. Now that bedroom is set up with be king and books all the time and the bedroom looks larger. It was the best change we did - for a few guests that are looking for 2 beds was not worth it..
April said:
When we had a bedroom with 2 twin beds it was always the last one to book. Now that bedroom is set up with be king and books all the time and the bedroom looks larger. It was the best change we did - for a few guests that are looking for 2 beds was not worth it.
that is what we did, took what was called by po's "the twin room" which they told us business travelers preferred , but of course they NEver wanted a twin, one or two of them... Now it is a king and booked more than the queens. Agree April, the time mother and daughter stayed one night only and needed two beds, was not worth it. Girl friend getaways didn't even want it.

Our room with the day bed as well as the queen is our best selling room! The other, smaller room, acts as overflow. It has one queen bed..
Midwest Madam said:
Our room with the day bed as well as the queen is our best selling room! The other, smaller room, acts as overflow. It has one queen bed.
there is no way to accurately compare from my queen bed to yours or maddie's. the room photo online may be a better vantage point than the other rooms, the colors, or real wood vs white wicker... Little things may sway the bookings of all of our rooms.
I don't want anything girlie. I don't want anything velvety and dark, I don't want juvenile college girl decor. On the other hand a tub vs a shower mayb be at play... So many differentials to consider. Then there is location in the house, first floor, second, front or back, looks out on road, or aback yard, price.
I wish there was a way to figure it out, would be kind of fun!

Even after i had a private bathroom, I had several people who called the smallest room with full-size bed and shared bath - MY room. Is MY room vacant this weekend?

Back