When a guest asks... (This is a spam email a lot of us got today)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
...what's the weather like in...?
What is it that they want to know? What kind of clothing to bring? The actual temperature and rainfall?
I get that they think I know the answer, but if they could figure out how to find a website for a place in this state what's so hard about doing a query on the weather and getting yearly averages? We all know that as soon as we put it in writing the weather will be exactly the opposite.
Unless someone tells me what they plan to do here (hike, water activities, museums) I have no idea what to tell them to bring for clothes. I do know that the TOP selling item on a whale watch is the $39 sweatshirt sold to whole families who never thought the temp would drop by 30 degrees away from land. Sometimes they make more money on the sweatshirt sales than the ticket sales!

I guess you could answer them with, "I'm sorry, you've obviously confused me with the National Weather Service."
Or tell them that in the winter it's cold. In the summer it's hot. Sometimes it rains. Sometimes it snows. Then ask them if they like surprises.
For those who are making long range plans, like you said, they need to look up the averages. Everyone who booked for this weekend, booked weeks ago and were surprised by a lot of rain. Sucks to be them.
When anyone calls and we're booked, they always ask, "Can your recommend another Bed and Breakfast?" My answer is "No. Why don't you try Google." I'm not their friggin travel agent!

How did you know I just got one of those e-mails today! Sheesh. They didn't even say if they were going to stay here!
"I'm planning a trip to your area in June. What's the weather like?"
Just in case they might end up here, I answered back by sending them the link to our city on weather.com

How did you know I just got one of those e-mails today! Sheesh. They didn't even say if they were going to stay here!
Just in case they might end up here, I answered back by sending them the link to our city on weather.com.
Breakfast Diva said:
Just in case they might end up here, I answered back by sending them the link to our city on weather.com
It's the EXACT same email. A few others of us got it too. I would say don't respond as I think it's a spammer looking for valid email addies. We went thru this a few years back with some weirdo asking for a brochure every month. Everyone was getting the same email, with the same address to mail stuff to.
Actual email in case anyone else gets it:
> Hello:
>
> We are planning a trip and wondering what the weather is like in June?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dianne
>
>

Just in case they might end up here, I answered back by sending them the link to our city on weather.com.
Breakfast Diva said:
It's the EXACT same email. A few others of us got it too. I would say don't respond as I think it's a spammer looking for valid email addies. We went thru this a few years back with some weirdo asking for a brochure every month. Everyone was getting the same email, with the same address to mail stuff to.
> Hello:
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dianne
>
>
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
> Hello:
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dianne
>
>
THAT'S IT EXACTLY!!! Shoot, I responded
cry_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
> Hello:
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dianne
>
>
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
> Hello:
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dianne
>
>
THAT'S IT EXACTLY!!! Shoot, I responded
cry_smile.gif

So did I. But if it comes around again I'm labeling it as spam. I already deleted it after responding.

We had a family here from Florida one May (we can still get frosts in May) and all they had with them was t-shirts and shorts. The first thing they did was ask for a shop where they could buy jumpers.
Local saying: There's no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothing!

Another one that seemed legit, in case anyone is wondering, was from a so-called travel agency in Oz asking what are you room rates? Now IF someone posts this question FROM OUR WEBSITE< I KNOW it is spam. Our room rates are on every photo, room page and reservation page.
Why a travel agency? So it sounds ridgey didge. But you and I know a travel agent would know how to find a room rate on a website.

I guess you could answer them with, "I'm sorry, you've obviously confused me with the National Weather Service."
Or tell them that in the winter it's cold. In the summer it's hot. Sometimes it rains. Sometimes it snows. Then ask them if they like surprises.
For those who are making long range plans, like you said, they need to look up the averages. Everyone who booked for this weekend, booked weeks ago and were surprised by a lot of rain. Sucks to be them.
When anyone calls and we're booked, they always ask, "Can your recommend another Bed and Breakfast?" My answer is "No. Why don't you try Google." I'm not their friggin travel agent!.
We do as we have a lot of BB's nearby who are my friends and neighbours and I know most of the phone numbers off by heart and its part of our trade associations deal - refer to other assocaition bb's. I make more of an effort than most as I believe in supporting my fellow independents and don't want people booking into the faceless holiday inn simply because it is easy.

I think I may have gotten one with a twist today.
Hi There,
How are you doing today ?.. I need to know if this a Horse Motel ?. kindly let me have the price you charge per night with the type of credit card you accept if I have the right email. I hope to read from you soon.

I think I may have gotten one with a twist today.
Hi There,
How are you doing today ?.. I need to know if this a Horse Motel ?. kindly let me have the price you charge per night with the type of credit card you accept if I have the right email. I hope to read from you soon..
I hope you DID NOT respond. Obviously from a non english speaking entity

Back