When a guest makes an online review 'mistake'

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, I got an email from a guest who says he made a mistake on the review he wrote. What he told me in the email was he thought he clicked one rating, but when he was looking at the review, after submitting it, it was actually the opposite of what he meant. No idea where the review was left and wondering if it was TA how badly is that going to drop my score if he entered 'poor' and if I can send the email from the guest to TA and would it do any good? I really don't need to lose ground because of a 'typo'.
I didn't see it on TA, but I don't know how long it takes them to post.
Poor guest apologized for the mistake.

They usually send an email to confirm your identity or verify the review - he should say no to that one, if he can. Otherwise he should contact TA to try to fix the error - they might listen.

They usually send an email to confirm your identity or verify the review - he should say no to that one, if he can. Otherwise he should contact TA to try to fix the error - they might listen..
muirford said:
They usually send an email to confirm your identity or verify the review - he should say no to that one, if he can. Otherwise he should contact TA to try to fix the error - they might listen.
What they have said here I believe is correct and I also think (but not sure) if the guest who wrote the review was to contact TA, then TA will remove the review at their request. Then the guest could go in and re-submit, but the request to remove it has to come from the person with the TA User account who submitted it. Otherwise, TA may also just go in a fix it themselves if the guest explains to TA what happened.

Thanks! I forgot that TA asks you to verify you submitted the review. I'll let the guest know as he was really upset.

I actually don't think TA asks you to verify...b&b.com does though.

I actually don't think TA asks you to verify...b&b.com does though..
They do, at least sometimes - I don't know what triggers that but I have been asked to verify one or two reviews. And bandb.com only verifies bad ones, I believe.

We had a guest who wrote a wonderful review on bedandbreakfast.com, a lengthy one which elaborated on all the things she liked. Over the top. Yet, the review was rated in the MOR (middle of the road) dots on the little dot matrix at that site. When the guest was notified that her review had been posted, she forwarded it to me (which was interesting, the way bb.com communicates with our guests) with a note telling me how disturbed she was about the rating. Understandable, in light of her written comments. I had no idea if bedandbreakfast.com would change the review ratings, but felt for certain they wouldn't if I requested them to do so. So, I gave the guest the toll free number to bedandbreakfast.com. The rating level was changed sometime after that, but not immediately. That was about 2 - 3 years ago, tho.

We had a guest who wrote a wonderful review on bedandbreakfast.com, a lengthy one which elaborated on all the things she liked. Over the top. Yet, the review was rated in the MOR (middle of the road) dots on the little dot matrix at that site. When the guest was notified that her review had been posted, she forwarded it to me (which was interesting, the way bb.com communicates with our guests) with a note telling me how disturbed she was about the rating. Understandable, in light of her written comments. I had no idea if bedandbreakfast.com would change the review ratings, but felt for certain they wouldn't if I requested them to do so. So, I gave the guest the toll free number to bedandbreakfast.com. The rating level was changed sometime after that, but not immediately. That was about 2 - 3 years ago, tho..
Bb.com helped out a fellow inkeeper friend of mine by changing the dots to reflect what was actually written in the text. In the review, the quest wrote how clean her room and the b&b was, yet marked in the bubble with only an adequate rating for cleanliness. The innkeeper called bb.com to point out that the written word did not match the bubbles and bb.com went ahead and changed the bubble.
bb.com certainly cares more about innkeepers than TA ever will!

TA allows the user to delete their own review within 3 days of posting it. If they're a new TA member, it can also take up to 3 days for the review to show up. They can, though, still delete it before it ever shows up.

As it turns out, the review posted and it wasn't as dire as they made it sound, so I'm not doing anything about it.

As it turns out, the review posted and it wasn't as dire as they made it sound, so I'm not doing anything about it..
Where they'll often make a mistake is in the ratings or in checking off no instead of yes on recommend.
Those ratings and the recommend yes/no really do impact your overall rating, so if the guest wanted to give you a higher rating, I'd sure ask them to try. The impact of that doesn't show up right away but it will eventually.

Back