When adults wet the bed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
What do you do regarding the situation of adult incontinence? Have you ever had this happen and if so, how did you handle it?

I have water proof mattress protectors on my guest beds. They aren't cheap - $50 or $60, I think I paid for each on QVC. But they have paid for themselves many times over, once when a guest spilled a whole glass of RED WINE on my bed. It's one thing to eat the cost of the sheets, quite another for the bed itself!
Maybe it's just my guests (!), but it seems that incontinence is a pretty common problem. There's not much you can do regarding the guest, so protect yourself, your investment, and avoid frustration by buying a good waterproof mattress protector.
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.H83570.desc.ProtectABed-Waterproof-Cotton-Terry-Mattress-Protector-King

The only situtaion I had that came close was an accident of a different kind where the guest tried to clean the mattress and soaked everything clear thru. We just cleaned it up and didn't mention it.
However, a soiled bed is another situation. If the bed is ruined, you can mention it to the guests and let them know the replacement cost and see what happens. I doubt a guest would pay what we pay for good beds, so maybe a compromise.
That said, we did have a guest pay for a new mattress & boxspring because of juvenile incontinence. And immediately, as in the second day in a row it happened, we purchsed mattress protectors for every bed and now don't worry about it.
If you get the right kind, they can do double duty against bugs as well.

Put "Depends" in the amenity basket in the hallway.
poke.gif

You can have mattresses professionally cleaned and they are fine afterwards. When I worked at a big hotel one of the chaps for a busy conference where they knew their colleague was comming in to take that room. So when the colleague came I said I am sorry you cannot check into you room because your colleague has wet the bed and we have to have it professionally cleaned before you can use it. My boss billed them $300 for the cleaning and charged it to the company so everyone at his firm new to. This was a case of drinking himself insensible then not letting anyone know when he checked out so that we could have got it sorted a lot earlier so he got what he deserved. If it was an old person or a child I would be sympathetic (rather than stupid drunk) cleaning only costs about $60 so would charge that. I would also advocate the waterproof mattress protectors but they can't have that awful plastic russling sound.

You can have mattresses professionally cleaned and they are fine afterwards. When I worked at a big hotel one of the chaps for a busy conference where they knew their colleague was comming in to take that room. So when the colleague came I said I am sorry you cannot check into you room because your colleague has wet the bed and we have to have it professionally cleaned before you can use it. My boss billed them $300 for the cleaning and charged it to the company so everyone at his firm new to. This was a case of drinking himself insensible then not letting anyone know when he checked out so that we could have got it sorted a lot earlier so he got what he deserved. If it was an old person or a child I would be sympathetic (rather than stupid drunk) cleaning only costs about $60 so would charge that. I would also advocate the waterproof mattress protectors but they can't have that awful plastic russling sound..
whattha.gif

We also use waterproof mattress pads. It's important to get the kind that don't make that crinkley sound.

Bingo, BD. We have waterproof mattress pads - that don't make noise. We just got back from three nights in a fairly cool hotel (old, being renovated, I think maybe once upon a time it was efficiency apartments - I felt like I had been dropped into A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - in a fun way, that is). ANYway, the beds were comfortable, but I had to adjust to the crinkle-crinkle in my ear.
I guess I'm a little surprised this is a big problem. I suppose alcohol plays some role (per Camberly's story). We are an alcohol free facility. But I know we've had incontinent guests (used depends in the trash). Other than that, I would never have known from the linens.

I had a friend have not one but TWO mattresses ruined by drunken guests. ugh. The first time, they didn't catch the culprit in time to bill them. (Housekeeper didn't discover the problem right away.) The second time, they billed the guest for the mattress (it was brand new!). After that, they got wise and put waterproof protectors on all the mattresses.
I think their problem is that they are a getaway "romantic" place and they also host weddings.
I had them here from the get-go and never had a problem but we hosted children over 12 years of age and our demographic didn't include many Seniors or big party types.

True enough....there are many other medical issues that could affect someone to have incontinence issues and it wouldn't be age-related necessarily. I guess I was just lucky!

Ditto to the waterproof mattress covers. Just gotta have 'em.
In my experience, it's the elderly guests who most often have this problem but regardless it seems to usually be a medical issue. It happens often enough that you've just got to be prepared for it.
Once the deed's been done, though, Anti-icky-poo kills the odor and the underlying bacteria. It's another gotta have, IMHO.

i have a family member who now wears depends to bed at nite ... something about urine being released when lying down. overflow incontinence and nerve damage and she is not elderly.
but i did notice a fair number of depends in the guestroom trash from time to time from my aging guests.
you need the best mattress protection you can get ... i used the pads that were rubberized one side/flannel backing on the other ... i put them on top of the mattress and under the zip around mattress protector. no one needs to know they are there ... they don't make noise. i don't recall where i got them for the inn, but i got a few from this place for my family. i can vouch for how well they work ... someone went into labor and water broke while sleeping. mattress did not get wet. wish i'd had them for my dad before his issues started.
as for your question, do you have a mattress that is stained, soiled and/or has odor?

Back