When Breakfast is over.....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
OK, my breakfast is over at 9 AM.
I told my guests last night BF is at 8, to what they thought was too early.
Well, I am serving until 9....they came down at 9:30
everyone else was down at a good time.
I was debating what to do, leave it, it's only 2 people, food is still on the table, etc....on the other hand, I like to get the dishes in the DW and out of the way...
I ended up clearing the table, putting everything up. When they finally did show, one gal came and shook the coffee pot to see if there was still coffee, and at the same time kind of scanned the kitchen/diningroom area....so they had a cup of coffee.
I could not be harsh and offered them some smoked salmon quiche, the took some. They did not have the full BF, no juice, etc...all was put up.
How do you handle late comers?

Ooooo, sore spot. Because we are it as far as everything, we really need to be done with breakfast by 10 (kitchen cleaned, everything put away). Which means 9:30 is the latest we want anyone sitting down to eat and we'd prefer they were here earlier. We say we serve from 8 to 9:30. If everyone else has eaten and done by 9 and you stroll in at 9:45, it's all cleaned up and put away. You could have cereal.
BUT, if some guests came down at 9:30 and someone else comes a 9:35, it's kinda hard ass to tell them to buzz off.
regular_smile.gif

Today, we had 2 rooms that someone went and woke up to come to eat. They came around 9:20 and then were making like they were going to stand around and shoot the breeze over coffee for awhile. Nope. I herd them to the table at that point. Even if I have to say, 'Kitchen's closing in 5 minutes.'
Half hour, tho? No, sorry. It's all put away, or thrown away, and we're off cleaning.
I stripped 2 rooms during the lull in breakfast this morning. That's helps us stay on track.
Really, tho, it's up to you. Will they be there multiple nights? If yes, then don't serve them a half hour after breakfast is done because they'll sleep in again tomorrow! If no, and they haven't annoyed you in other ways, then why not. (Other than you've set a precedent for them and the other guests who see you serving them late.)
However, I would not expect to have any breakfast if I showed up a half hour late. We assume that guests who do not make it down for breakfast on time do not want breakfast. If they assume differently, that's their problem.

Yeah, I am a one person show here, do everything from cooking to cleaning toilets....
They only stayed one night, so that's good in a way. But they thought they could come down late, have bf and have a lengthy conversation with me. I stayed for a few minutes, then I started cleaning and they got the hint. I don't want to be here all day....
I am surprised by myself thou...started at 7:00 Am cooking, now it is 2:00 PM sharp. Did 3 check outs, 2 lay overs, cleaned the whole place, did laundry (towels are still drying) , ironed sheets and took care of grand baby inbetween.
Wonder when I'm gonna get burned out? haha

Yeah, I am a one person show here, do everything from cooking to cleaning toilets....
They only stayed one night, so that's good in a way. But they thought they could come down late, have bf and have a lengthy conversation with me. I stayed for a few minutes, then I started cleaning and they got the hint. I don't want to be here all day....
I am surprised by myself thou...started at 7:00 Am cooking, now it is 2:00 PM sharp. Did 3 check outs, 2 lay overs, cleaned the whole place, did laundry (towels are still drying) , ironed sheets and took care of grand baby inbetween.
Wonder when I'm gonna get burned out? haha.
Wow! Good going!

I figure if others are still at the table then you have do or look like a Duff. If everyone has left the table then you can clear it all up and say "Hey breakfast was at 8am." and then they will say..."I thought it STARTED at 8?!" You reply "No, it is served AT EIGHT."
Oh wait you said serving until 9...uh oh, there ya go. You gave them a way to sneak in late...

We have a range - 7:30-9 am weekdays, 8-9:30 am weekends. We ask when they want breakfast. Have not had any late shows so far. I did have to push a group of 4 back to 10am on a Sunday because of the other group that wanted 9 am breakfast. It worked out OK because the later group had been at a wedding until the wee hours. Usually, I don't want to serve breakfast that late because it pushes us too late. But in that case everyone was checking out & no new arrivals so it was all good.
I guess if the food was made & they were there within a half hour or so, I'd just serve them. I'm a pushover.....

I figure if others are still at the table then you have do or look like a Duff. If everyone has left the table then you can clear it all up and say "Hey breakfast was at 8am." and then they will say..."I thought it STARTED at 8?!" You reply "No, it is served AT EIGHT."
Oh wait you said serving until 9...uh oh, there ya go. You gave them a way to sneak in late....
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Oh wait you said serving until 9...uh oh, there ya go. You gave them a way to sneak in late...
They still showed up a half hour after she said breakfast was over. 'Until 9' could not possibly be construed as '9:30 is perfectly acceptable'.

Oh wait you said serving until 9...uh oh, there ya go. You gave them a way to sneak in late....
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
They still showed up a half hour after she said breakfast was over. 'Until 9' could not possibly be construed as '9:30 is perfectly acceptable'.
I think people like a later breakfast on the weekends. At least they do here....

Yep, everyone had left the table by 8:45. Then I waited. While cleaning the room across from them, I heard them taking showers, watching TV and sitting on the deck. They never even came for some coffee or at least to tell me that they will be down shortly. I think that could have been the least they could have done.
Serving until nine....yep, if you're not here at nine, then that should be it. Restaurants serve breakfast fro 6 til 11, then no more. I go 10 minutes late and they will only serve me lunch.
But they are all gone now, so I will make it a point to tell people that 9 is the cutoff, at least if everyone else is gone by then and there is no sign of them.

Yep, everyone had left the table by 8:45. Then I waited. While cleaning the room across from them, I heard them taking showers, watching TV and sitting on the deck. They never even came for some coffee or at least to tell me that they will be down shortly. I think that could have been the least they could have done.
Serving until nine....yep, if you're not here at nine, then that should be it. Restaurants serve breakfast fro 6 til 11, then no more. I go 10 minutes late and they will only serve me lunch.
But they are all gone now, so I will make it a point to tell people that 9 is the cutoff, at least if everyone else is gone by then and there is no sign of them.
if i heard guests sitting on the deck, etc., i'd go find them and tell them 'breakfast is over at 9 - will you be having breakfast?' or some such.
i serve from 8 to 10, then start cleaning up.
i HAVE gone outside to those sitting on chairs at 9:30 to ask this. also went up to a room at quarter to 10 and knocked to ask ... they were checkouts ... and i worried i'd be waking a late sleeper (checkout at 11) but didn't want to have them arrive late to breakfast. no answer, they had left without saying goodbye. key was on the night stand.
depends on my mood and the attitude of stragglers how i handle late comers. but i start putting it all away at 10. as i've seen first hand, guests don't see or read the large card in their room that says breakfast is available from 8 to 10. they also don't hear the reminder at check-in. their minds are totally elsewhere.

Yeah Baby !!!! As Bree said - that's pretty darn impressive. It's amazing how much you can fit in if you put your mind to it. I will definitely serve breakfast late, my only restriction is that, if you're REALLY late, you're having the special and not short order ..... mind you, I'll break that rule too more often than not
regular_smile.gif

My issue is that I can keep going and going (energizer bunnyish) but if I stop ..... that's when I crash.

I knew this would come back to bite me, just didn't know how soon...full house last night. 2 rooms ate at 8, the other 5 showed up at 9:30. I'm not even done SERVING breakfast and it is almost 10. LONG day ahead of us...

I knew this would come back to bite me, just didn't know how soon...full house last night. 2 rooms ate at 8, the other 5 showed up at 9:30. I'm not even done SERVING breakfast and it is almost 10. LONG day ahead of us....
Bree said:
I knew this would come back to bite me, just didn't know how soon...full house last night. 2 rooms ate at 8, the other 5 showed up at 9:30. I'm not even done SERVING breakfast and it is almost 10. LONG day ahead of us...
That is it right there! I do not know how you do it with the open seatings times, it makes breakfast an all day affair. I am weary just thinking about it. When we do the two seatings it is the same, guests sit and visit after with their coffee and you are spinning your wheels, you just know you have so much work to do.
Which is why we are here - on this forum - as we wait for THEM in there...

I knew this would come back to bite me, just didn't know how soon...full house last night. 2 rooms ate at 8, the other 5 showed up at 9:30. I'm not even done SERVING breakfast and it is almost 10. LONG day ahead of us....
Bree said:
That is it right there! I do not know how you do it with the open seatings times, it makes breakfast an all day affair. I am weary just thinking about it. When we do the two seatings it is the same, guests sit and visit after with their coffee and you are spinning your wheels, you just know you have so much work to do.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
OK, so I don't know how you could seat all 16 of them at one time!
tounge_smile.gif
The 2 rooms at 8 hung around so it wasn't like we were idling for that time. It was just wondering if the other rooms would show or not after their night of festivities.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
tounge_smile.gif
The 2 rooms at 8 hung around so it wasn't like we were idling for that time. It was just wondering if the other rooms would show or not after their night of festivities.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
tounge_smile.gif
No you can't, and if you have an early seating they still sit around and hold up the later seating. It is exhausting.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
tounge_smile.gif
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
tounge_smile.gif
No you can't, and if you have an early seating they still sit around and hold up the later seating. It is exhausting.
They are STILL sitting around talking. 10:30. I'll be cleaning rooms at 3 for Pete's sake. Because you KNOW the suitcases are not packed, the showers are not taken.

We served our guests breakfast at 9 am..unless we have agreed on another time. We don't wait for stragglers. We learned over the years to do breakfasts that would keep a bit. However, your guests are being plan rude to be sitting right out where you can see them and not coming in. I would have just said to them, "we are serving breakfast now, will you please join us?" If they say they want to stay out..then ask if you can serve them breakfast there. I would not be holding it for them for whenever they like. Tell them you have other things that need doing and breakfast will not be available after we finish.
You are not a restaurant.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
tounge_smile.gif
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
tounge_smile.gif
They are STILL sitting around talking. 10:30. I'll be cleaning rooms at 3 for Pete's sake. Because you KNOW the suitcases are not packed, the showers are not taken.
I would be saying, "Folks check out is at 11 am. I need to get in to clean the rooms as other guests will be checking in this afternoon. Thank you"

When we checked into most of the B&B's we were told when we where showed our room what time breakfast was (never if there was an ending time) and several of the Inns had a little write up with the time as well other things you might need to know. We ALWAYS came down for breakfast right away because we didn't want to miss it
teeth_smile.gif
I do not think it would be rude to something such as
"we start breakfast at 8am and stop serving at 9am". I would think MOST people will take that as they need to be down before 9 if they want breakfast! If you have late straglers feel free to say that breakfast is over. If you have cereal and you WANT to you could always say we do have a box of ... and a box of ... if you care for a bowl of cereal or you could offer muffins or toast (but then that leads to butter and assorted jams, peanut butter, honey.....).
Those straglers are probably the same way in life, they expect people to cater to them at their beck and call.

Yeah Baby !!!! As Bree said - that's pretty darn impressive. It's amazing how much you can fit in if you put your mind to it. I will definitely serve breakfast late, my only restriction is that, if you're REALLY late, you're having the special and not short order ..... mind you, I'll break that rule too more often than not
regular_smile.gif

My issue is that I can keep going and going (energizer bunnyish) but if I stop ..... that's when I crash.
Haha, tha sounds like meeeee......don't even think about sitting....

Back