When decorating for the Holidays...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
This time of year, I am in the midst of undecorating for the Autumn and decorating for Christmas. I have some rooms complete in full winter holiday regalia, and some still done in fall stuff. Now here is the question.
When its only you doing all the work, do you think guests mind the Inn in this type of 'mid decorating' flux?
Obviously I won't turn paying guests away at this time of year, so I don't really see any way around it...do you?

Guests won't even know it's a flux if you don't tell them!
I'm sure the rooms are lovely, whether they're all dressed for Autumn or prepared for Christmas.

We usually have this Wed & Thurs to get this stuff done. We had a last minute check-in yesterday (out for the day, but still, there is brekkie & room cleaning to do!) and today we have 3 more rooms checking in. The rooms are done, pretty simple what I do, but the tree is still naked and we've just started pulling the lights out.
I think guests have to understand if they show up before 3 PM, but after 3, I like to have everything done. Won't happen today and I've already had calls for early arrivals. So, tough. You get here early, nothing is ready. I don't have elves here to do this!

We usually have this Wed & Thurs to get this stuff done. We had a last minute check-in yesterday (out for the day, but still, there is brekkie & room cleaning to do!) and today we have 3 more rooms checking in. The rooms are done, pretty simple what I do, but the tree is still naked and we've just started pulling the lights out.
I think guests have to understand if they show up before 3 PM, but after 3, I like to have everything done. Won't happen today and I've already had calls for early arrivals. So, tough. You get here early, nothing is ready. I don't have elves here to do this!.
Make the naked tree a statement! They'll never know how many more ornaments it will have on it next week...

I don't think your guests would mind at all, I definitely wouldn't. People seem to be fascinated by the "inner workings" of a B&B, and it's a nice reminder to them that it's a real HOME, not just a place to stay.
But from an innkeeping perspective, I just can't stand to have everything all ripped apart and guests traipsing through. We always block off 2-3 days this week to just get it done in peace. I just finished string the popcorn and cranberries, think this is the prettiest tree we've ever had. With all the rain we had this year it ought to stay fresh for a good long time!

I think guests have to understand if they show up before 3 PM, but after 3, I like to have everything done. Won't happen today and I've already had calls for early arrivals. So, tough. You get here early, nothing is ready. I don't have elves here to do this!.
have a tree-trimming party this evening and invite your guests.

Great idea!

Everything went smoothly from the moment Gomez walked in the door at 1:30 and said, 'This is gonna take me until 5 PM.' He finished the tree at 3:05!
Guests walked in as he was putting stuff away and said, 'Oh, that's nice, are you doing the whole house?'
OK, ME, I spent 3 hours 'doing' the rest of the house before they arrived. I guess all the garland, lights, nutcrackers, etc they didn't notice/

Back