When do you start decorating for the Holidays?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone decorate for Halloween and welcome trick or treaters?
I will decorate to a point, but don't go overboard. I can't compete with my neighbor anyway. Her house looks like the Adams Familys' and she uses it to her advantage. One year she rented coffins from a theater supply house. She did her front yard like a cemetary with headstones and everything. The coffins were motion senored so when anyone started up the walk, the coffins would spring open and skeletons would jump out. She hid speakers in her shrubbery that played scary music. It was all very professional.
She made the local paper with that set up. My guests thought it was a hoot.

We get no trick or treaters here, ever. In fact the very first time we were here looking at buying was Oct 31st and no one knocked on the door.
I put a sign up with info on a local carnival/festival and we just go to that now or to a show. Last year was a concert on Oct 31st. Not many trick or treat house to house any more - they go to malls or school carnivals now (here), not necessarily other places.

We get no trick or treaters here, ever. In fact the very first time we were here looking at buying was Oct 31st and no one knocked on the door.
I put a sign up with info on a local carnival/festival and we just go to that now or to a show. Last year was a concert on Oct 31st. Not many trick or treat house to house any more - they go to malls or school carnivals now (here), not necessarily other places..
I think it must depend on the community. I have never seen a trick or treater in our 9 years here. Our town holds a family event for everyone in town. They all go to it! Lots of fun along our greenway.

I love to decorate year round. I have a fireplace mantle in the living room that I change seasonally. Right now I still have my red/white/blue summer garland up but in a week or so I'll change all that to my fall decorations. I have a beautiful wagon that I fill with hay bales, mums, and pumpkins in the fall. The day after Thanksgiving I put up my Christmas/winter decorations. I put a wreath and white candles in every window facing the front, and a red sleigh filled with packages in the yard. Inside I decorate the living room and dining room and our family part of the house.

Does anyone decorate while there are guests in the inn or do you wait until there is a free day(s)?

I wait until we have a free day because it's a lot of work taking the boxes down, changing all the decorations, and putting everything away.

My local Costco had a whole display of Christmas trees for sale. My jaws dropped when I saw it last week. I know that Christmas is a lucrative time for retailers, so they want to extend it as much as possible, but who buys their Christmas decor before the Summer is even over?

i
heart.gif
to decorate. it's fun, keeps me 'young' ...
if guests were in residence when i was changing the decor, they often wanted to pitch in and help. fine with me!

Does anyone decorate for Halloween and welcome trick or treaters?
I will decorate to a point, but don't go overboard. I can't compete with my neighbor anyway. Her house looks like the Adams Familys' and she uses it to her advantage. One year she rented coffins from a theater supply house. She did her front yard like a cemetary with headstones and everything. The coffins were motion senored so when anyone started up the walk, the coffins would spring open and skeletons would jump out. She hid speakers in her shrubbery that played scary music. It was all very professional.
She made the local paper with that set up. My guests thought it was a hoot..
I decorate for halloween with little LED orange pumpkin lights in the windows. We get 100s of trick or treaters. I usually have a few other decoration and a carved pumpkin.

Does anyone decorate while there are guests in the inn or do you wait until there is a free day(s)?.
Breakfast Diva said:
Does anyone decorate while there are guests in the inn or do you wait until there is a free day(s)?
I prefer to decorate when there are no guests, but that is not always possible. It takes me about a week to do both houses and all 6 bedrooms. Inside and out. The past couple of years I have hired someone to help me.
It is a LOT of work.

Back