When family visits

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Put this in the 'guest relations' forum, could also be 'relations are guests'!
Anyhoo...got an email from a sib who is coming for 4 days starting Sat. Huh? I talked with him last week and told him M-T-W were good days (2 of them, not all 3 and now he's planning 4 days!), no weekends. I don't know if he's made plane reservations or not. I told him no Saturdays, that won't work, we're too busy. Told him if he's coming anyway, he'll have to stay elsewhere on Sat night. Hubs is already stressing that we won't have any time to visit, they'll expect us to drop everything to go sightseeing with them, etc.
So, had to put that in email as well...be sure you have plenty of things to do while we clean and do our normal tasks. We'll be able to go to dinner on Monday only. Yikes.
I forget that family doesn't get it. They think we just have nothing to do or that someone else is doing the mundane tasks.

We deal with this 2-3 X a year...we told the parents, hope you have plans and a place to stay when you are coming- they always want to come when we are in the middle of our peak... On the one hand they take the kids, but OTOH we don't get to visit and FIL gets frustrated because he has in his mind all the things he thinks we're gonna get done around here...

aw c'mon, you know that innkeeping isn't a 'real' job ...
you can make room in the 'guest bedroom' and you have lots of free time!
wink_smile.gif

when one of my nephews told my sister and her husband that running a b&b doesn't take much work, i was steaming!
angry_smile.gif
they did not disagree, in fact, agreed with him. (he has NEVER tried to run a b&b, but he was told this by friends who do) what?! that sister and her husband have stayed with me and they saw (i thought) how much work i had to do. but, on reflection, i realized that i treated them as guests ... they did not see me 'behind the scenes', i did not ask them to help in any way, i took some time off that i don't usually do so i could spend time with them, and they spent a lot of their own time touring the area and lounging around.

Fun!! Sounds like you already tried to be specific and he didn't get it. Will he be upset about any of this?
Our family has finally realized that if they come during the busy time they get us for dinner and that is that. The in-laws are usually great and actually pitch in to help, but my family always needs to be entertained...they have been relegated to winters only!
Similar problem but in reverse for me...good friend is celebrating her birthday and wants me to travel to NYC this weekend to help celebrate...would love to and DH would be fine with me going but I would be miserable knowing I have ditched him here with a houseful. Will likely not go and friend will not be happy
sad_smile.gif

aw c'mon, you know that innkeeping isn't a 'real' job ...
you can make room in the 'guest bedroom' and you have lots of free time!
wink_smile.gif

when one of my nephews told my sister and her husband that running a b&b doesn't take much work, i was steaming!
angry_smile.gif
they did not disagree, in fact, agreed with him. (he has NEVER tried to run a b&b, but he was told this by friends who do) what?! that sister and her husband have stayed with me and they saw (i thought) how much work i had to do. but, on reflection, i realized that i treated them as guests ... they did not see me 'behind the scenes', i did not ask them to help in any way, i took some time off that i don't usually do so i could spend time with them, and they spent a lot of their own time touring the area and lounging around..
seashanty said:
. . . when one of my nephews told my sister and her husband that running a b&b doesn't take much work, i was steaming!
angry_smile.gif
they did not disagree, in fact, agreed with him. . . .
Take it as a compliment. You do what you do so well, you make it look easy. :)

My kids do understand - finally. Being small, I am able to block off the rooms when they come BUT I have had times that they came that I did have guests and they understood I had to do things with the B & B. I will never forget how my #4 & #5 grandchildren rang the heck out of my doorbell (I understood because I used to do it too) but the minute a guest came in the house, they stopped - and I never said a word to them about it. They got it on their own!
It is rough when they refuse to understand this is how we make our living.

Fun!! Sounds like you already tried to be specific and he didn't get it. Will he be upset about any of this?
Our family has finally realized that if they come during the busy time they get us for dinner and that is that. The in-laws are usually great and actually pitch in to help, but my family always needs to be entertained...they have been relegated to winters only!
Similar problem but in reverse for me...good friend is celebrating her birthday and wants me to travel to NYC this weekend to help celebrate...would love to and DH would be fine with me going but I would be miserable knowing I have ditched him here with a houseful. Will likely not go and friend will not be happy
sad_smile.gif
InnsiderInfo said:
Do I care?

Hey Bree, When I read "When family visits", that's all I had to read. What comes after that is up to you -- didn't have to read the rest.
We are busy here from April thru October. I told my family that whenever they can come out here, that we couldn't wait to see them. We had a great family reunion out here. I blocked off all the rooms.
I think if you don't have family, you don't have anything.

Hey Bree, When I read "When family visits", that's all I had to read. What comes after that is up to you -- didn't have to read the rest.
We are busy here from April thru October. I told my family that whenever they can come out here, that we couldn't wait to see them. We had a great family reunion out here. I blocked off all the rooms.
I think if you don't have family, you don't have anything..
Actually just heard back from him and he has rescheduled to come in on Sunday instead. At least we only have 4 rooms to clean so we'll be fresh when they arrive. I'll probably have to hop them from room to room each night, but they'll have a place to stay. And they're old enough to figure out how to entertain themselves while we're busy!

Actually just heard back from him and he has rescheduled to come in on Sunday instead. At least we only have 4 rooms to clean so we'll be fresh when they arrive. I'll probably have to hop them from room to room each night, but they'll have a place to stay. And they're old enough to figure out how to entertain themselves while we're busy!
I bet they will help you with the rooms -- if they offer, LET THEM -- I know my family loves helping me -- I think they love being a part of my (B&B) life.
So glad he is coming.

I bet they will help you with the rooms -- if they offer, LET THEM -- I know my family loves helping me -- I think they love being a part of my (B&B) life.
So glad he is coming.
trishany said:
So glad he is coming.
When I get off the floor from laughing...his GF is a princess (a real one, not a fake one). It would take more time to train them than to do it all ourselves and be done with it while they go out shopiing!

So glad he is coming.
trishany said:
So glad he is coming.
When I get off the floor from laughing...his GF is a princess (a real one, not a fake one). It would take more time to train them than to do it all ourselves and be done with it while they go out shopiing!
Lol! okay, gottcha. Well, I tried.

So glad he is coming.
trishany said:
So glad he is coming.
Bree said:
trishany said:
So glad he is coming.
You have a real princess coming? Shock and awe! (And commisseration for the timing...)
=)
Kk.

So glad he is coming.
trishany said:
So glad he is coming.
Bree said:
trishany said:
So glad he is coming.
You have a real princess coming? Shock and awe! (And commisseration for the timing...)
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
trishany said:
So glad he is coming.
=)
Kk.
I've never met her. I've been told she's a real princess. And not in that sarcastic tone of voice, either, 'Oh yeah, she's a real princess.' What little I know of her sounds like she's really a good person. (Cancer doc, specializes in 'female' cancers.) And, heck, if she's going to take on this BIL, she's a saint as well.

So glad he is coming.
trishany said:
So glad he is coming.
Bree said:
trishany said:
So glad he is coming.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
trishany said:
So glad he is coming.
=)
Kk.
I've never met her. I've been told she's a real princess. And not in that sarcastic tone of voice, either, 'Oh yeah, she's a real princess.' What little I know of her sounds like she's really a good person. (Cancer doc, specializes in 'female' cancers.) And, heck, if she's going to take on this BIL, she's a saint as well.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
Well, that's the sign of a true princess, isn't it? Concerned for others, serving, genuine, gracious...
I hope you find time to enjoy the visit!
=)
Kk.

We let our children pick one weekend (not in peak) to come and occupy both cottages. We then block out that weekend for them. We might lose revenue, but our family comes first. Besides, I can give 100% attention to my 3-year-old granddaughter.

We let our children pick one weekend (not in peak) to come and occupy both cottages. We then block out that weekend for them. We might lose revenue, but our family comes first. Besides, I can give 100% attention to my 3-year-old granddaughter..
For tax law reasons you might want to edit your post to not announce what you just announced.

We let our children pick one weekend (not in peak) to come and occupy both cottages. We then block out that weekend for them. We might lose revenue, but our family comes first. Besides, I can give 100% attention to my 3-year-old granddaughter..
They were never there and do not forget it.

Back