When French Toast Met Pancakes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Okay... I have a new breakfast recipe to try.... http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/08/when-french-toast-met-pancakes/
6067689011_a1cebe5123_z.jpg

on Brunch with Bobby Flay the other day, he did "when French Toast meets waffle" The usually french toast recipe but he cooked it in the waffle maker then spread it with peanut butter :-( and he made a berry sauce and put on top. His idea of a peanut butter sandwich. I thought it was a neat idea minus the peanut butter

on Brunch with Bobby Flay the other day, he did "when French Toast meets waffle" The usually french toast recipe but he cooked it in the waffle maker then spread it with peanut butter :-( and he made a berry sauce and put on top. His idea of a peanut butter sandwich. I thought it was a neat idea minus the peanut butter.
I've used the Bobby Flay FT meets waffle many times now.... just adjusted it for adult tastes. It's fabulous. I dress it up with macerated strawberries, blueberries etc etc. First time (like many first times) was a nightmare so leave extra time. Once you understand how your waffle iron deals with french toast it's a breeze .... and best of all, the "waffles" hold perfectly in the oven. Looked BEAUTIFUL when plated and even though it's not my thing, every guest has loved it.

Did you try this yet?? Looks good and interesting!.
I did it today and our guests from France said that it was better than regular French Toast. I do agree that you should use thick sliced bread and you should let it soak more. The thickness of the pancake batter makes it take a bit longer to soak in. And wipe off a bit before you put it in the pan. Two halves seemed to be enough for most people with just one man asking for seconds.
While doing it, I realized that it's so easy to adulterate as well... cocoa powder or white chocolate and macadamia nuts, or just add some nutmeg and cloves. OH, I did add a bit of cream to the pancake batter, to add a bit of richness.
I bought stale bread yesterday night... on sale for $1.49 and on the stale clearance for 50% off... I bought all four loaves that were left. So I used Italian bread instead of Brioche.

I did it today and our guests from France said that it was better than regular French Toast. I do agree that you should use thick sliced bread and you should let it soak more. The thickness of the pancake batter makes it take a bit longer to soak in. And wipe off a bit before you put it in the pan. Two halves seemed to be enough for most people with just one man asking for seconds.
While doing it, I realized that it's so easy to adulterate as well... cocoa powder or white chocolate and macadamia nuts, or just add some nutmeg and cloves. OH, I did add a bit of cream to the pancake batter, to add a bit of richness.
I bought stale bread yesterday night... on sale for $1.49 and on the stale clearance for 50% off... I bought all four loaves that were left. So I used Italian bread instead of Brioche.
Dang, our French guests today only wanted whole wheat toast. Easy breakfast, but we get disappointed to not be able to put on the show!

Dang, our French guests today only wanted whole wheat toast. Easy breakfast, but we get disappointed to not be able to put on the show!
Alibi Ike said:
That really is true isn't it! I know I feel let down if they indicate they do not want breakfast and they are "first timeers" here. A room is a room is a rom - some bigger, some smaller, some luxurious, but a bed and a bath. BREAKFAST is where we show our "stuff".

Alibi Ike said:
That really is true isn't it! I know I feel let down if they indicate they do not want breakfast and they are "first timeers" here. A room is a room is a rom - some bigger, some smaller, some luxurious, but a bed and a bath. BREAKFAST is where we show our "stuff".
I wouldn't mind if they would tell us the night before. As it was we were all set to cook when they came down and said they didn't want anything but toast. So, all the veggies cut up, eggs cracked, etc.
Soooo, because they expressed no interest in anything but toast, we're serving the same brekkie tomorrow to the other 6 new rooms that these guests decided they didn't want. My guess is tomorrow will be more of the same...

Alibi Ike said:
I wouldn't mind if they would tell us the night before. As it was we were all set to cook when they came down and said they didn't want anything but toast. So, all the veggies cut up, eggs cracked, etc.
Soooo, because they expressed no interest in anything but toast, we're serving the same brekkie tomorrow to the other 6 new rooms that these guests decided they didn't want. My guess is tomorrow will be more of the same...
Alibi Ike said:
I have breakfast cards printed each afternoon (one for each guest) for the next morning which indicate what will be available (fruit, bread dish, egg dish, sides). Each item has a checkbox AND there is an option for "We will not be eating breakfast or have made other plans...". So, when guests check-in I explain that they must complete the card before turning in each evening so we can be prepared when they come down.
We also have a set breakfast time, but offer to try to accommodate them if their schedule conflicts with ours...provided we know the day before!
I find these cards eliminate alot of confusion or disappointment when breakfast time rolls around!

Back