When guests are sick

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as my "day job' I work as a family physician in a 22 doctor medical centre and we obviously have protocols to follow..... hand washing is the most important, as "catlady" says alcohol waterless hand gel when soap and water are not availabe. our nursing staff prefer the hand gel as it is better for their skin than the dermatitis they can acquire with repeated exposure to detergents but studies have shown that the bacterial counts on the hands are the same no matter what procedure is followed. For flat surfaces like benches, tables, sinks ,trolleys and plastic examination coughes we use Hospital Grade Viraclean (which is Benzalkonium chloride 4.255g/L. As far as spills go ......vomitus blood etc we use hypochlorite solution = bleach with appropiate gloves, goggles and aprons. Interestingly we rarely get ill as we are innocuated daily with numerous bugs from a multitude of people which keeps our gamma globulin levels up. We are mostly at risk when we go on long holidays and our immune levels drop rather than improve as you might expect. That's why they found in the more extreme senario of scientists based in Antartica they were not being exposed to ambient infections often enough...... lost their "herd' immunity and became suseptible when on recreational leave . Still love our holidays though .........mostly B and B's and desert travel .JJ

I use Clorox Wipes and wipe down everything for each and every room turnover i.e., light switches, door knobs, remotes and clean and sanitize the filters in the room air conditioners. It's especially important to sanitize in the bathroom around drains and the toilet, which are incredible breeding grounds for germs. On those areas I use the aforementioned bleach solution..
Wow, every turnover? That's diligence!
Pollyanna said:
Wow, every turnover? That's diligence!
Wow! Triple-post! That's diligence too!
teeth_smile.gif

as my "day job' I work as a family physician in a 22 doctor medical centre and we obviously have protocols to follow..... hand washing is the most important, as "catlady" says alcohol waterless hand gel when soap and water are not availabe. our nursing staff prefer the hand gel as it is better for their skin than the dermatitis they can acquire with repeated exposure to detergents but studies have shown that the bacterial counts on the hands are the same no matter what procedure is followed. For flat surfaces like benches, tables, sinks ,trolleys and plastic examination coughes we use Hospital Grade Viraclean (which is Benzalkonium chloride 4.255g/L. As far as spills go ......vomitus blood etc we use hypochlorite solution = bleach with appropiate gloves, goggles and aprons. Interestingly we rarely get ill as we are innocuated daily with numerous bugs from a multitude of people which keeps our gamma globulin levels up. We are mostly at risk when we go on long holidays and our immune levels drop rather than improve as you might expect. That's why they found in the more extreme senario of scientists based in Antartica they were not being exposed to ambient infections often enough...... lost their "herd' immunity and became suseptible when on recreational leave . Still love our holidays though .........mostly B and B's and desert travel .JJ.
I'm not used to 'kid' germs. Whenever we visit the grandkids I get sick. The usual 'adult' germs I seem to have built up a tolerance to. But kid germs are killer.

as my "day job' I work as a family physician in a 22 doctor medical centre and we obviously have protocols to follow..... hand washing is the most important, as "catlady" says alcohol waterless hand gel when soap and water are not availabe. our nursing staff prefer the hand gel as it is better for their skin than the dermatitis they can acquire with repeated exposure to detergents but studies have shown that the bacterial counts on the hands are the same no matter what procedure is followed. For flat surfaces like benches, tables, sinks ,trolleys and plastic examination coughes we use Hospital Grade Viraclean (which is Benzalkonium chloride 4.255g/L. As far as spills go ......vomitus blood etc we use hypochlorite solution = bleach with appropiate gloves, goggles and aprons. Interestingly we rarely get ill as we are innocuated daily with numerous bugs from a multitude of people which keeps our gamma globulin levels up. We are mostly at risk when we go on long holidays and our immune levels drop rather than improve as you might expect. That's why they found in the more extreme senario of scientists based in Antartica they were not being exposed to ambient infections often enough...... lost their "herd' immunity and became suseptible when on recreational leave . Still love our holidays though .........mostly B and B's and desert travel .JJ.
I'm not used to 'kid' germs. Whenever we visit the grandkids I get sick. The usual 'adult' germs I seem to have built up a tolerance to. But kid germs are killer.
I am just about ready to go get a "Shingles" vaccination. Anyone hear of any problems with it?

I am just about ready to go get a "Shingles" vaccination. Anyone hear of any problems with it?
catlady said:
Yes and I can't recall what. Other than the long wait time to get it.

catlady said:
Yes and I can't recall what. Other than the long wait time to get it.
Our health dept. has it and is giving it FREE...no waiting either. I need my annual flu shot and also long overdue for a tetanus one too...but I sure don't want to do them all at once!!!! OUCH!!!! I remember the last tetanus shot. But arm hurt for days!

Back