When guests argue...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
...with each other. At high decibels. Heard all over the inn.
What do you do? How soon do you interrupt the screech fest?

I try at first screech. Would walk in with something to offer to the folks - even if it is nothing more than a pitcher of water, just to have them stop to say they did not want any. At that point you can as a question off the subject to try to steer it into safer waters. All you can do is try.Beyond that, it is their problem and you can ask them to take it elsewhere as it is disturbing other guests. At least I would hope that is what I would do. Until I am actually walking in YOUR shoes, think I would is all I can say. If they ignored the suggestion to take it elsewhere, the offer to remove the disturbance of other guests via the local constabulary is your only option. Then do it.

Yikes! While we have had loud guests, it was usually the opposite of an argument
embaressed_smile.gif
so we knew it would quiet down at some point.
With an argument, you never know how long it will continue or if it would escalate to something more. I would have to come up with some reason to interrupt especially if there are others in house.
Once at a hotel we kept hearing an argument in another room. Next thing we know the police are outside knocking on the door. That is how they handle it!
wink_smile.gif
Of course I am sure it was only after several other guests complained.

It's never been so bad before where I could hear every word like they were in the room with me. But only his side. I don't know if she was whispering or ignoring him or hiding in the bathroom.
It went on for about 15 minutes with brief intermissions. Then it was completely quiet. Of course, by then I was on high alert. No sounds of violence and no swearing. Just yelling.
This morning I thought I would check to see if maybe one of them was deaf. No, normal voices for both of them.
I still don't know what it was about because I could only hear one side.

It's never been so bad before where I could hear every word like they were in the room with me. But only his side. I don't know if she was whispering or ignoring him or hiding in the bathroom.
It went on for about 15 minutes with brief intermissions. Then it was completely quiet. Of course, by then I was on high alert. No sounds of violence and no swearing. Just yelling.
This morning I thought I would check to see if maybe one of them was deaf. No, normal voices for both of them.
I still don't know what it was about because I could only hear one side..
I misunderstood. I thought it was a couple of guys in disagreement in Public area. Did not realize it was guests in a room. It is hard to say without knowing what was being said. But if it was loud enough for every word, a knock on the door to ask if all was well "because other guests are listening in" would be in order.

"This morning I thought I would check to see if maybe one of them was deaf. No, normal voices for both of them."
You are a good person.

If they're in their room and it's not during the night I'd let them get on with it.
Has only happened once, they were saying horrible things to each other, next morning they came down to breakfast together, all sweetness and light.

uncomfortable for you - inconsiderate of them. they have to know they can be heard.
after about 3 minutes of continued yelling, i knocked on a guestroom door. asked if something was wrong as we could all hear shouting. both parties totally steamed but stopped. said all was fine. a few more minutes went by - a shout or two. i stayed in the hall making noise, fully prepared to knock again and tell them i was sorry but they would have to lower their voices. but they stopped on their own. i think it helped that they could see other guests hovering in the hall behind me - it wasn't just me, alone.

Back