When guests don't like the innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Speaking of strange nuances between innkeepers and guests made me think of this question - perhaps there are situations as innkeepers don't always like a certain guest, that a guest might not like a certain innkeeper?
Maybe they are avoiding the innkeeper. I am sure it happens. I have met an innkeeper (no longer in the business) who was the helo-hoverer we all warn about. She waited eagerly for guests to return from dinner to see what they ordered and how they liked it detail by detail. She called it "Service" I think the guests (majority) called it pestering.
What would you do if you didn't like the innkeeper? Avoid? Present as little conversation as possible? Skip breakfast altogether? Leave?
This is a good question for the NON innkeepers on the forum to chime in. :)

Before I became an Innkeeper, I stayed in several different establishments to get a feel for what I wanted to include in my innkeeping environment and what I didn't. I met a couple of innkeepers that were overbearing and intrusive. I avoided them, didn't partake of breakfast etc.
This was a real learning experience for me as a newbie. My suggestion to anyone wanting to consider Innkeeping, to go and stay at as many different B & B's as possible. Its very illuminating.This is how I learned that I never wanted "Theme Rooms" (I stayed in one place that had a raggedy anne and andy room that was packed floor to ceiling with them. I couldn't even sleep. I felt like I was being watched every second) Too creepy for me.
I am more of a layed back style of Innkeeper. I don't do nature excursions or lead area tours. I let my guests do their own thing. If they want my help, I am happy to give it, but I am pretty much in the background unless someone wants or needs something.

i can tell you what happened with my sister and her husband. they own a property up in maine, have owned it about 25 years.
each summer, they drive up from cape cod to their property. they plan their visit to coincide with the free concert series at ll bean. they had stayed for years at a b&b in the area. they liked it there. had a favorite room there.
the b&b was sold and they checked in, as usual, for their annual stay ... now with the new innkeepers. and they didn't like them! they no longer go back and stay there. they've found someplace new to stay.
i asked if maybe they would give the old place a try again ... that maybe the new innkeepers had mellowed. because the rooms were much the same. the recipes for breakfast continued. no ... they say ... the woman made soap and constantly pestered them about the soap 'did you like the soap?' 'do you want to try the soap?' 'have you looked at our soap?' sounded like nerves to me. she said they felt annoyed and harrassed ... end of story.
those innkeepers didn't last (surprised?) and now there are new innkeepers.
my sister and her husband refuse to go back. what a shame. turns out, a BIG part of their stay at a b&b has to do with the innkeepers.

Before I became an Innkeeper, I stayed in several different establishments to get a feel for what I wanted to include in my innkeeping environment and what I didn't. I met a couple of innkeepers that were overbearing and intrusive. I avoided them, didn't partake of breakfast etc.
This was a real learning experience for me as a newbie. My suggestion to anyone wanting to consider Innkeeping, to go and stay at as many different B & B's as possible. Its very illuminating.This is how I learned that I never wanted "Theme Rooms" (I stayed in one place that had a raggedy anne and andy room that was packed floor to ceiling with them. I couldn't even sleep. I felt like I was being watched every second) Too creepy for me.
I am more of a layed back style of Innkeeper. I don't do nature excursions or lead area tours. I let my guests do their own thing. If they want my help, I am happy to give it, but I am pretty much in the background unless someone wants or needs something..
I second that suggestion. Aspirings should stay in as many different B & B's as possible.
  • Keep a notebook of what you liked
  • what you didn't like
  • things you might do when you own an inn
  • things you would never do if you open an inn
This will all come in very handy in the future. We too were pretty laid back innkeepers. I did not want to know their life story, or become their new best friend. didn't bother them with any of my life,unless they asked.We stayed out of their way as much as possible but let them know we were glad to help in any way we could if they needed it.

Interestingly enough, I think most of us learned what we did not like from other innkeepers at B&B's. Nothing wrong with that, it takes all types, but that is the first thing I thought of, things I never wanted to do, vs what I wanted to do.
There are good B&B's and bad B&B's. We would like all of them to be good, but that isn't always the case, sadly enough.
We all have stories...like mine - the couple in TN who sat down at the table as we finally were able to get away for our anniversary, they took our hands and prayed without asking us. UGH!

On my recent innkeeper escape, there was an innkeeper that I didn't care for much. Seemed like he was on auto pilot for the inn tour and left to go to their house. I felt like I was a bother or something. There were only 2 rooms there that night, me plus another one. This was a room that was close to $200/night too. There were some things that I needed and didn't know where to find them (wine bottle opener, for one) but I felt like contacting the innkeeper would be an intrusion.
I took away from that experience that I wanted the guests to feel comfortable to find us if they need something and especially if something runs amok in their room. I also learned that it's hard to be interested when you've done the tour a gazillion times, but it's the first time for the guest :)
I've rarely met an innkeeper that I didn't like. :)

On my recent innkeeper escape, there was an innkeeper that I didn't care for much. Seemed like he was on auto pilot for the inn tour and left to go to their house. I felt like I was a bother or something. There were only 2 rooms there that night, me plus another one. This was a room that was close to $200/night too. There were some things that I needed and didn't know where to find them (wine bottle opener, for one) but I felt like contacting the innkeeper would be an intrusion.
I took away from that experience that I wanted the guests to feel comfortable to find us if they need something and especially if something runs amok in their room. I also learned that it's hard to be interested when you've done the tour a gazillion times, but it's the first time for the guest :)
I've rarely met an innkeeper that I didn't like. :).
I have met very friendly inn keepers at my stays in B&B's but sometimes too friendly. At one place I wasn't able to nicely leave until after 11 am each day. When you are on a time budget and in a new area and have a lot to see and do, it can really be a nuisence to have someone constantly asking you questions and keeping the conversation going even after you mention that you really should get going.

The few times I have had innkeepers that I didn't like/felt comfortable with I've just tried to sneak around and avoid them.... I would eat breakfast but then quickly leave for the day asap! It doesn't make for an enjoyable stay though.

i can tell you what happened with my sister and her husband. they own a property up in maine, have owned it about 25 years.
each summer, they drive up from cape cod to their property. they plan their visit to coincide with the free concert series at ll bean. they had stayed for years at a b&b in the area. they liked it there. had a favorite room there.
the b&b was sold and they checked in, as usual, for their annual stay ... now with the new innkeepers. and they didn't like them! they no longer go back and stay there. they've found someplace new to stay.
i asked if maybe they would give the old place a try again ... that maybe the new innkeepers had mellowed. because the rooms were much the same. the recipes for breakfast continued. no ... they say ... the woman made soap and constantly pestered them about the soap 'did you like the soap?' 'do you want to try the soap?' 'have you looked at our soap?' sounded like nerves to me. she said they felt annoyed and harrassed ... end of story.
those innkeepers didn't last (surprised?) and now there are new innkeepers.
my sister and her husband refuse to go back. what a shame. turns out, a BIG part of their stay at a b&b has to do with the innkeepers..
Egads, not here, I hope!

not there bree .... but you might have known the innkeeper ... who made soap? didn't last apparently.

I guess it is all part of our innkeeping psychology 101 - to know exactly how much interaction we need to have and when to leave guests alone to their own devices. One thing I do know, guests book their room and get the full BnB experience. They do not book - this innkeeper. I am not booked for a one night show only, and will not allow guests to manipulate my time.
I say this as on ocassion you will read a review from a guest commenting on an innkeeper not being out and about to 'entertain' the guests.
The guests have no idea how much work it is to run a BnB. The fairies go home and leave the rest to us! Most BnB's don't have fully staffed inns. Most of us are washing and drying and ironing every day, shopping, running errands (like returning guest left behinds), not to mention cooking, cleaning, taking bookings, phone calls, etc. We have much to do and not even time to get sufficient down-time as it is, aka A LIFE.

not there bree .... but you might have known the innkeeper ... who made soap? didn't last apparently..
seashanty said:
not there bree .... but you might have known the innkeeper ... who made soap? didn't last apparently.
That doesn't ring a bell at all.
bree, i'll email you off forum and tell you the name of the place. it's not your place, but near you ~ as you surmised.

not there bree .... but you might have known the innkeeper ... who made soap? didn't last apparently..
seashanty said:
bree, i'll email you off forum and tell you the name of the place. it's not your place, but near you ~ as you surmised.
I SWEAR, I never made soap - honestly :)

seashanty said:
I SWEAR, I never made soap - honestly :)
tipsy! it's not you, either.
heart.gif

these are some folks who tried innkeeping in the area and it didn't work out for whatever reason.
as for my sister and her reaction to the soapmaker, who knows? maybe other guests loved the soap and reacted totally differently.

Back