When guests talk out of both sides of their mouths.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I'm confused. I just saw a couple off who had been here for the past 2 days in an upscale cottage on the property.
They were chatting with me at check out about what a nice time they had, the restaurants they dined at, how nice the cottage was with the jacuzzi and fireplace...etc.
I went to strip the cottage and read what they wrote in the ledger. They felt ripped off, lack of hospitality (?!) , felt like they were all alone (wasn't that the idea?) and how they will tell all their enemies about this place. When they win the lottery they want to buy it so they can bulldoze it into a parking lot.
WTF??? Would you ignor this little rant or address it? I did pull the sheets of paper out of the ledger and toss them.

I would ignore it and would get rid of the pages like you did. They sound like a couple of totally unstable characters to me.

guests are gone, pages are gone. focus on who's there now..
seashanty said:
guests are gone, pages are gone. focus on who's there now.
I'm concerned that they will take their rant to T/A. Ugh! Just another thing to deal with.
Just let it go! They are gone, forget about them. If they were that two faced, then who needs them. If they post at TA, just write a MGT Response and move on.
You cannot mind read and you cannot please everyone no matter what you do.

You are right. None of us is perfect. As much as we would like to be, we just cannot be all things to all people. Sometimes it feels as if being cut by a knife, so it's ok to feel that twinge, but let it go because you are too good to dwell on it.

guests are gone, pages are gone. focus on who's there now..
seashanty said:
guests are gone, pages are gone. focus on who's there now.
I'm concerned that they will take their rant to T/A. Ugh! Just another thing to deal with.
Just let it go! They are gone, forget about them. If they were that two faced, then who needs them. If they post at TA, just write a MGT Response and move on.
catlady said:
Thanks CL. Its exhausting trying to be all things to all people. Of course none of us really are....its just feels that way sometimes.

Yikes.
Make a note in your reserv book/software so you never forget they did that.
Tear it out, yes you did that, and then be a duck and let is rollllllllllllllllll off. Easier said than done.
I have a question, is there a perception issue with your B&B? Is it one thing to some and another to others? I have had episodes of that here, we do not promote ourselves as more than we are, but on ocassion you will get a guest with a stick up their
potty-mouth.gif
and nothing will please them.
So on that note, NOTHING would have pleased them...I am going to make a NYC comment now and then hear about it later, but something about OLDER New Yorkers - complaining is a past time.
I think sometimes they actually complain LESS than others, which meant they had a great time. Does it make sense? There is an entitlement issue where they to elevate themselves put others down where ever they go. I am not saying ALL, I am saying some who travel OUT of their area. Or they put down where they live to somehow out gripe other people "You should see the traffic where WE live!" etc
I typically love our NYC guests, I am INTO their sense of humor and when they voices raise over football talk I just laugh.
I am stereotyping of course. I
heart.gif
NY

The Farmers Daughter said:
.I went to strip the cottage and read what they wrote in the ledger. They felt ripped off, lack of hospitality (?!) , felt like they were all alone (wasn't that the idea?) and how they will tell all their enemies about this place. When they win the lottery they want to buy it so they can bulldoze it into a parking lot.
Let them tell all their enemies...those will be the nice and normal people!
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's not right and it's not fair!
Have you been able to put your finger on why your percentage of PITAs is higher than most? Do the innkeepers around you have the same problems? Have you analyzed if your website is portraying your place accurately?

If you do a CTRL + you can increase viewing size on any page and CTRL - to decrease (fyi for more detail)
Not 8800 sq feet, 800? typo?
Looks very nice and priced very reasonably imo for the fireplace and jacuzzi tub included!

If you do a CTRL + you can increase viewing size on any page and CTRL - to decrease (fyi for more detail)
Not 8800 sq feet, 800? typo?
Looks very nice and priced very reasonably imo for the fireplace and jacuzzi tub included!.
Thanks for catching that typo. Its 800 sq feet. The private garden is about 24 x30 with a fountain, statuary and patio set with umbrella. I don't have a photo of that at the moment.

Just looked at your Cottage
thumbs_up.gif
They are SICK people.With age they will either get better or worse.I just sent a couple to another place ...too many questions in their e-mail about the bed, etc. Got bad vibes just reading it....Mary down one booking in Bridgewater, Va.

FD your image is letting your B&B name out to the public, fyi...

I have thought about this many time. I don't feel like I am misrepresenting the place. Here is the website page. Its 800 sq feet with a private garden and priced in the mid $200's. The privacy is one of its big appeals.
1x1.gif

[tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr] [/td][/tr][/table]

.I went to strip the cottage and read what they wrote in the ledger. They felt ripped off, lack of hospitality (?!) , felt like they were all alone (wasn't that the idea?) and how they will tell all their enemies about this place. When they win the lottery they want to buy it so they can bulldoze it into a parking lot.
Have you been able to put your finger on why your percentage of PITAs is higher than most? Do the innkeepers around you have the same problems? Have you analyzed if your website is portraying your place accurately?.
Breakfast Diva said:
Have you been able to put your finger on why your percentage of PITAs is higher than most? Do the innkeepers around you have the same problems? Have you analyzed if your website is portraying your place accurately?
I truly doubt that FD has a higher percentage of PITAs than the rest of us have. Not all of us talk about all of them - I talk about mine rarely, although I have to admit that they also bother me less than they used to. Doesn't make them any less of a PITA, it just rolls off more easily now.
She's a busy inn and close to at least one major city (NYC), as are we. I don't know her occupancy rates but I have six rooms and run around 50% - that means I meet close over 750 couples per year (counting for 2 nighters on weekends). That's 1500 people - just sheer volume gets you more PITAs than some of the smaller and less busy B&Bs deal with. It's not a higher percentage, just a higher number.
There have been quite a few of these kind of stories over the years - Seashanty, Bree, and myself, just to name a few. Let's not make FD feel like she's doing something wrong because her guests are assholes.

Have you been able to put your finger on why your percentage of PITAs is higher than most? Do the innkeepers around you have the same problems? Have you analyzed if your website is portraying your place accurately?.
Breakfast Diva said:
I truly doubt that FD has a higher percentage of PITAs than the rest of us have. Not all of us talk about all of them - I talk about mine rarely, although I have to admit that they also bother me less than they used to. Doesn't make them any less of a PITA, it just rolls off more easily now.
She's a busy inn and close to at least one major city (NYC), as are we. I don't know her occupancy rates but I have six rooms and run around 50% - that means I meet close over 750 couples per year (counting for 2 nighters on weekends). That's 1500 people - just sheer volume gets you more PITAs than some of the smaller and less busy B&Bs deal with. It's not a higher percentage, just a higher number.
There have been quite a few of these kind of stories over the years - Seashanty, Bree, and myself, just to name a few. Let's not make FD feel like she's doing something wrong because her guests are assholes.
muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks Muirford! I think you hit the nail on the head. My tiny village is a destination area located between New York City and Phila PA. I am the only lodging here. I'm very busy. I get a lot of city folks from NYC and Phila. Many have never been to a B & B before and dont know what to expect. New Yorkers (I hate to say it) often have more of a hotel mindset. They expect concierge service. They expect room service. They expect Taxi's ( hahahahaha!!) They expect a lot. I even had a woman wake me up at 1 am in the morning because she wanted me to bring her a cup of tea.
I also am more vocal than many on this forum. You guys are my sounding board. After all, I can't really vent to the PTB (powers that be), so I vent alot here.
I don't know if I really get more misfits than anyone else, I just complain about it more. :))

Back