When I cannot get to the door

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbid

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]We try to greet every guest personally at the door but as you all know, every now and then it is not possible.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have installed a phone on the front porch next to the doorbell. [/FONT]A sign next to the phone says “Ring doorbell, if no answer call …” This phone line has long distance blocked. I used a remote phone jack for years which worked okay but a few years ago, I took the time and hard wired it in.
[FONT=&quot]You can purchase remote doorbells for around $20.00. [/FONT]You put the small transmitter next to the actual door bell bell and when it rings, another bell that is plugged into any electrical outlet rings. We have two remote bells and one transmitter. One bell is in my office because I have trouble hearing the regular bell in our living area. The other is in the cleaning caddy so whoever is cleaning a room plugs it in the wall and can hear the bell.
Any other ideas?
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

We have that remote doorbell, too, but it is for the GUEST! We found the guests couldn't hear the doorbell ring after they pressed the button so they kept ringing. This way, they get a nice little 'bing bong' that tells them the doorbell has been rung (so hold your horses!)

Yes, I do love when the guests seem amazed that you didn't instantly materialize in front of their eyes the moment they rang the bell!

Yes, I do love when the guests seem amazed that you didn't instantly materialize in front of their eyes the moment they rang the bell!.
I tend to hang out on the computer. There is a window nearby where I can see guests drive up and try to meet them at the door, reassuring them they are at the correct place, since we have no signage.

I also am usually at my computer facing the street & porch. We have an old time doorbell - remember the bell on your tricycle? I have the mega version. Problem is, it is on the front door and people for some reason do not open the storm door and see the bell. It is a wonderful (and LOUD) bell.

We use a system sold for the hard-of-hearing. A transmitter is wired into the doorbell chime. When cleaning rooms, we wear a small rechargeable receiver with a belt clip. If the phone rings or the doorbell chimes, the receiver vibrates and small LED bulbs along the top indicate the source. Of course, none of this helps if you've just sat down in the bathroom when the doorbell rings!

I also am usually at my computer facing the street & porch. We have an old time doorbell - remember the bell on your tricycle? I have the mega version. Problem is, it is on the front door and people for some reason do not open the storm door and see the bell. It is a wonderful (and LOUD) bell..
We had one of those old wind up bells on our old house!

I also am usually at my computer facing the street & porch. We have an old time doorbell - remember the bell on your tricycle? I have the mega version. Problem is, it is on the front door and people for some reason do not open the storm door and see the bell. It is a wonderful (and LOUD) bell..
We had one of those old wind up bells on our old house!
I think it is soooo neat! No problem hearing that sucker!

We have one also and no one but our painter can work it. haha! The wireless doorbell works great though!

Back