When I grow up ..

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agoodman

Reaction score
When I grow up I want to be a shower .... (that's my jacuzzi tub talking)
If you are considering a jacuzzi tub - DON'T
More headache than they are worth, floods, leaks, malfunctions, cleaning .. not to mention they are REALLY not a novelty anymore, and if you don't have a regular shower in the room as well as the tub .. well you can lose business. Esp with male guests who prefer a shower

Good to know. I have showers in three room and a bathtub shower combo in another. I don't get many requests for a jacuzzi tub. I think most have been fine with the shower. I think a steam shower might be kind of neat but only if it is one of the custom made one with the nice tile and fixtures.

Sorry, I've got to disagree with you. Our tubs are a huge draw for us. No leaks, no floods, very minimal maintenance and we've only had to replace motors once in 16 years (2 of the 4 we have). Cleaning is a pain, I'll agree with that. Our tubs are shower/tub combos so nobody has to take a tub bath if they don't want to. If we didn't have these tubs, our business would surely suffer.

We have a simple tub/shower and utilize vinyl shower curtains(the tub is framed with a fabric valance and curtains). Low maintenance, easy and fast to clean.
I like the vinyl shower curtains because they are cheap and can easily be replaced. Shower doors require cleaning and maintenance.

We have a 60 inch shower in one bathroom and the original claw-foot tub AND a 48 inch shower in the other bathroom (I had visions ((shudder)) of having to Crisco a guest out of a smaller shower) and the claw-foot has a hand-held shower (telephone shower is what they are called I think).
I do not, and will not, have whirlpool or Jacuzzis because my floors would not support the weight and I AIN'T CLEANING THE FREAKIN' THINGS!!! As it is, my poor Mother is in her grave on rotate with laughter that I am now in a business where I have HAVE to clean house!
Edited to add: I forgot to say, I use the vinyl shower curtain to keep the water IN the shower (hopefully) but I also have a nylon shower curtain liner on the inside so the vinyl never touches the guest and I can change the liner when I flip the room. Goes in the washer and ready for the next time. I have a couple liners for each shower. OH, I also have personal shower heads for guests who like them BUT it makes cleaning easier for ME. I scrub down and HOSE off the showers. Can you imagine cleaning a 60 inch shower without the ability to hose it down?

We have a 60 inch shower in one bathroom and the original claw-foot tub AND a 48 inch shower in the other bathroom (I had visions ((shudder)) of having to Crisco a guest out of a smaller shower) and the claw-foot has a hand-held shower (telephone shower is what they are called I think).
I do not, and will not, have whirlpool or Jacuzzis because my floors would not support the weight and I AIN'T CLEANING THE FREAKIN' THINGS!!! As it is, my poor Mother is in her grave on rotate with laughter that I am now in a business where I have HAVE to clean house!
Edited to add: I forgot to say, I use the vinyl shower curtain to keep the water IN the shower (hopefully) but I also have a nylon shower curtain liner on the inside so the vinyl never touches the guest and I can change the liner when I flip the room. Goes in the washer and ready for the next time. I have a couple liners for each shower. OH, I also have personal shower heads for guests who like them BUT it makes cleaning easier for ME. I scrub down and HOSE off the showers. Can you imagine cleaning a 60 inch shower without the ability to hose it down?.
gillumhouse said:
Can you imagine cleaning a 60 inch shower without the ability to hose it down?
I don't have a hand held on mine. I have an old plastic juice pitcher that I have to hold under the shower head and fill up and then wash the shower walls down with. Having a hand held shower head would be alot easier and if the bathrooms ever get re-done I would add hand helds along with the normal head.

Tossed around adding a jet tub to at least one room until we went to a B&B with one... they are loud, or at least that one was and even with the sound insolation I am afraid the motor vibration would carry and I am not so keen on having MORE bathroom duties than I already have.
They are still a selling point here though and I loose business because I don't have one in room. We do have a hot tub on the property and some love the concept of being in the outdoors in the hot water especially during the cooler months, summer it usually sits empty.
Your bathroom design helps to dictate what type of B&B you are, a 'romantic getaway' place really needs these or the 2 person steam showers etc. IMMHO I get my share of romantic getaways but I am not THE place for this -

We have one jetted tub in a 5-room inn. It is an air jet (Bain Ultra, Québec) so it is easy to clean and there are no sanitizing issues as bath water never enters the pump system; it is installed over heavy fiberglass insulation with a wet sack of mortar mix laid down on the subfloor for support so it is quiet. Has underwater lights. Costs a quarter-gallon of LPG to heat it (same as an hour in the gas fireplace, so I guess amenities aren't free).
Every room has a nice, high-flow shower. Those are crucial, IMHO. Personally I dislike the sit-in-tub-to-shower arrangement. We have several large 2-person showers which are popular, and all showers have at least one hand-held with a long hose to help with cleaning.
I now mildly wish we had installed another jetted tub - I think it would have added to sales, maybe enough to pay the cost. I doubt a third jetted would have paid off and they use up a lot of space. Oddly, I find that about half of the guests booking the room specifically because of the jetted tub never actually use it. Then there are the guests who will spend 4-hours in it.

Edited to add: I forgot to say, I use the vinyl shower curtain to keep the water IN the shower (hopefully) but I also have a nylon shower curtain liner on the inside so the vinyl never touches the guest and I can change the liner when I flip the room. Goes in the washer and ready for the next time. I have a couple liners for each shower. OH, I also have personal shower heads for guests who like them BUT it makes cleaning easier for ME. I scrub down and HOSE off the showers. Can you imagine cleaning a 60 inch shower without the ability to hose it down?.
gillumhouse said:
Can you imagine cleaning a 60 inch shower without the ability to hose it down?
I don't have a hand held on mine. I have an old plastic juice pitcher that I have to hold under the shower head and fill up and then wash the shower walls down with. Having a hand held shower head would be alot easier and if the bathrooms ever get re-done I would add hand helds along with the normal head.
You can do it now. It goes between the water pipe and the shower head. Not a big-time operation.

Our steam showers are pre-fab units and were immensely popular with guests. They are trimmed out to be unique. I highly recommend them. They were easy to clean, except I would put in something other than clear shower doors.. The other thing that I love as a guest are oversized showers with multiple jets. (We have one in our own master bath.) Many upscale hotels are going to large and tiled walk-in showers.
If you have a romantic destination, the large jetted tubs are still popular. But I agree 100%, I hated climbing in those things to clean them.
Like living in different houses over the years, you discover the things that you really like and must have.
regular_smile.gif

We have one jetted tub in a 5-room inn. It is an air jet (Bain Ultra, Québec) so it is easy to clean and there are no sanitizing issues as bath water never enters the pump system; it is installed over heavy fiberglass insulation with a wet sack of mortar mix laid down on the subfloor for support so it is quiet. Has underwater lights. Costs a quarter-gallon of LPG to heat it (same as an hour in the gas fireplace, so I guess amenities aren't free).
Every room has a nice, high-flow shower. Those are crucial, IMHO. Personally I dislike the sit-in-tub-to-shower arrangement. We have several large 2-person showers which are popular, and all showers have at least one hand-held with a long hose to help with cleaning.
I now mildly wish we had installed another jetted tub - I think it would have added to sales, maybe enough to pay the cost. I doubt a third jetted would have paid off and they use up a lot of space. Oddly, I find that about half of the guests booking the room specifically because of the jetted tub never actually use it. Then there are the guests who will spend 4-hours in it..
As per Tom, ours are all air jetted, all 4 of them and they are clawfoot air jet tubs for two. I would not be without them. Believe me, they attract guests all winter long.
We had one jacuzzi tub and got rid of it to replace with an air jetted one.
So 4 out of 6 rooms now have these air jetted double clawfoot tubs and they are the rooms which go first. The rooms also have a separate shower so we are covering everyone.
The nice thing is they are stand alone tubs so if someone were to buy this as a house and did not want the tubs, they could basically just unplug and unwire them and take them away.
Couples love them (especially in our cold winters) and I am so glad my DH convinced me we needed them.
Just don't ask me how much our water bill is.

I now mildly wish we had installed another jetted tub - I think it would have added to sales, maybe enough to pay the cost. I doubt a third jetted would have paid off and they use up a lot of space. Oddly, I find that about half of the guests booking the room specifically because of the jetted tub never actually use it. Then there are the guests who will spend 4-hours in it..
As per Tom, ours are all air jetted, all 4 of them and they are clawfoot air jet tubs for two. I would not be without them. Believe me, they attract guests all winter long.
So 4 out of 6 rooms now have these air jetted double clawfoot tubs and they are the rooms which go first. The rooms also have a separate shower so we are covering everyone.
The nice thing is they are stand alone tubs so if someone were to buy this as a house and did not want the tubs, they could basically just unplug and unwire them and take them away.
Couples love them (especially in our cold winters) and I am so glad my DH convinced me we needed them.
We have a large oval air tub in our own bathroom, plus a separate shower with multiple body jets. The only thing that I wasn't smart enough to do was get a hand held shower head, so that is on the list....someday when we decide to replace the main shower head. We also have a standard size tub/shower combination in our upstairs hall bath & the tub is an air tub. The air tub was a big hit when people booked our 2 bedroom suite and that was the second bathroom for the suite!
I love the air tubs, so easy to maintain!!

Can you hear these tubs run in adjacent rooms? Seems if they are free-standing the sound might not transfer as much?

You don't have to sell me, agoodman. DH & I agreed when deciding about the "flavor" of our (then, theoretical) BnB: no jacuzzis. Ever. And no pool, either.
We do have a couple fancy-schmantzy showers with tons of shower heads. I, however, was not the half of the partnership to test them out. (Somehow, I got to test the plain old vanilla showers). Anyway, DH says they work, and guests seem to like them.
All our showers (5 - yes, we have 5 showers in four bathrooms, you'd have to ask the previous owners...) have doors. I'm glad. Me, I'd rather squeegee a door than deal with vinyl shower curtains. They give me an ick factor...Hate, hate, hate mildew and that weird film that sticks to them. PT, I get what you mean about replacing them cheap enough. For now, for us, the squeegee is a bit cheaper.

You don't have to sell me, agoodman. DH & I agreed when deciding about the "flavor" of our (then, theoretical) BnB: no jacuzzis. Ever. And no pool, either.
We do have a couple fancy-schmantzy showers with tons of shower heads. I, however, was not the half of the partnership to test them out. (Somehow, I got to test the plain old vanilla showers). Anyway, DH says they work, and guests seem to like them.
All our showers (5 - yes, we have 5 showers in four bathrooms, you'd have to ask the previous owners...) have doors. I'm glad. Me, I'd rather squeegee a door than deal with vinyl shower curtains. They give me an ick factor...Hate, hate, hate mildew and that weird film that sticks to them. PT, I get what you mean about replacing them cheap enough. For now, for us, the squeegee is a bit cheaper..
Having the nylon liner that I can change with each guest and throw in the washer eliminates the ick of the vinyl shower curtain. Always a clean, fresh liner to keep the icky vinyl away from touching guests and to protect the vinyl from the water so no mildew.

Speaking about shower doors etc... the hotel we stayed in while in Barcelona had a very nice looking large shower... I would say it was 5ft at least, and instead of a door, there was a 3/4 smoked glass wall. No water escaped but no door to bother with. Very sharp looking and since there was no hardware I am sure it would be easy to keep clean and looking good.

Speaking about shower doors etc... the hotel we stayed in while in Barcelona had a very nice looking large shower... I would say it was 5ft at least, and instead of a door, there was a 3/4 smoked glass wall. No water escaped but no door to bother with. Very sharp looking and since there was no hardware I am sure it would be easy to keep clean and looking good..
I think Innkeep has a large shower without a shower door also. Glass blocks are part of the wall. Perhaps she'll chime in on how that is to clean....

Speaking about shower doors etc... the hotel we stayed in while in Barcelona had a very nice looking large shower... I would say it was 5ft at least, and instead of a door, there was a 3/4 smoked glass wall. No water escaped but no door to bother with. Very sharp looking and since there was no hardware I am sure it would be easy to keep clean and looking good..
I think Innkeep has a large shower without a shower door also. Glass blocks are part of the wall. Perhaps she'll chime in on how that is to clean....
This thread is aging a little, but I'll say that in the planning stage, my architect and builder both thought that an "awesome" shower would be a good choice for one of my bathrooms. It is large enough to pitch a tent inside, has multiple jets and 2 shower heads, and is booked only after the room with the whirlpool for 2 is already booked (i.e. much less often).
As for cleaning, windex on glass blocks, steam mop on the floor, spic n span for the walls, etc.
I have a sa ni jet whirlpool without pipes. Each jet is actually a little propeller that is removed and cleaned. A little time consuming, but out here in the midwest, it seems to be what the guests want.

We LOVE our whirlpool tubs. They have a cleaning system where you put in some bleach and just turn it on. Pipes are sanitized using just a couple of gallons of water. Takes no time at all.
RIki

Back