"When I retire the one thing I will not miss is..."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely without question - food allergies and the fad diets some are on. This month already I've had the following:
- vegan
- GF, DF
- Tree nut allergies (there goes using my fabulous granola)
- all food dyes, especially red
- GF but your cookies look so good I'm gonna have one now as she walked over and consume one after you've adjusted your menu for me
- GF/DF, allergic to corn, all oils except sunflower (only gave her fruit and GF oatmeal to be safe)
- and the latest that I got today … allergic to cumin and all plants associated with it. (Since I'm not familiar with all of them associated with cumin, I'll do my best not to kill them.)
And I'm adding those who don't give a crap about sticking to their checkin time. Whether it's showing up 3 hours early or saying you're coming between 3-4 on two different occasions and finally showing up at 8:15. Thanks, I love shopping at 9pm at night after being up all day or having to be at the market at 7am when they open because I had to sit here for hours waiting for you when you wouldn't answer your phone and kept me waiting 5 hours..
Guess we're lucky that we don't serve food as much of the stress seems to center around the eating habits of guests. My limited bed and breakfast experience was at an inn on a farm, coffee was available early, breakfast was 8:30 sharp, the innkeeper asked a blessing and food was put on the table, take it or leave it, not sure how that would work with pampered guests, but do we make our own lives miserable attempting to please our guests?

Absolutely without question - food allergies and the fad diets some are on. This month already I've had the following:
- vegan
- GF, DF
- Tree nut allergies (there goes using my fabulous granola)
- all food dyes, especially red
- GF but your cookies look so good I'm gonna have one now as she walked over and consume one after you've adjusted your menu for me
- GF/DF, allergic to corn, all oils except sunflower (only gave her fruit and GF oatmeal to be safe)
- and the latest that I got today … allergic to cumin and all plants associated with it. (Since I'm not familiar with all of them associated with cumin, I'll do my best not to kill them.)
And I'm adding those who don't give a crap about sticking to their checkin time. Whether it's showing up 3 hours early or saying you're coming between 3-4 on two different occasions and finally showing up at 8:15. Thanks, I love shopping at 9pm at night after being up all day or having to be at the market at 7am when they open because I had to sit here for hours waiting for you when you wouldn't answer your phone and kept me waiting 5 hours..
I'm going to stick my neck out here and probably get my head in my hands, but................
I've never had a man stay who had a food allergy.
Hubby is lactose and gluten intolerant. Daughter inherited the lactose intolerance. I'd say more women are doing the diet thing and I find more men are allergic to nuts. Just my observation. But I also find guys who say they are allergic to eggs all the time and then their wife just says that they can't stand them and don't want to admit it.

Are there different levels of celiac disease? Is it like lactose intolerant where you can have milk cooked into something but you can't drink a glass of milk straight?

Are there different levels of celiac disease? Is it like lactose intolerant where you can have milk cooked into something but you can't drink a glass of milk straight?.
answer - yes however celiac tends to be used when its very severe but intollerant when its more mild

Are there different levels of celiac disease? Is it like lactose intolerant where you can have milk cooked into something but you can't drink a glass of milk straight?.
For real Celiacs, not much. In some, parts per million can affect them. Some of them get the rash from hell when they ingest any gluten at all.
That's why it annoys so many, because if they aren't worried about cross contamination... it's not Celiac. And so many never get tested. They take a protein out of their diet based on a guess (which is generally wrong) and once you take it out of your diet it's difficult to put back in. In fact, some who have taken it out of their diet find out that they get the rash from hell if they try to start eating it again... they essentially develop the autoimmune disease because they took it out of their diet.

For real Celiacs, not much. In some, parts per million can affect them. Some of them get the rash from hell when they ingest any gluten at all.
That's why it annoys so many, because if they aren't worried about cross contamination... it's not Celiac. And so many never get tested. They take a protein out of their diet based on a guess (which is generally wrong) and once you take it out of your diet it's difficult to put back in. In fact, some who have taken it out of their diet find out that they get the rash from hell if they try to start eating it again... they essentially develop the autoimmune disease because they took it out of their diet.
What I was told was 'it's not so bad, but I can't eat something like waffles.'
So, really celiac or what?

That's NOT a Celiac. A Celiac can't eat ANY gluten at all. Think of it like having arsenic, your body may be able to handle 1 part per million and not affect you, but 3 parts per million and you get a stomach ache. But a whole slice of bread would ruin you for days.
We have a friend who breaks out on her skin even from parts per million. Look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatitis_herpetiformis and she could be on medication for months for a slice of bread.

That's NOT a Celiac. A Celiac can't eat ANY gluten at all. Think of it like having arsenic, your body may be able to handle 1 part per million and not affect you, but 3 parts per million and you get a stomach ache. But a whole slice of bread would ruin you for days.
We have a friend who breaks out on her skin even from parts per million. Look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatitis_herpetiformis and she could be on medication for months for a slice of bread.
Funny thing is I remember this reservation coming in and asking specifically if air born flour particles or anything like that would be an issue. No. Just can't eat it. Then at check in it's 'not that bad...'.
Of course the entire menu was adjusted around this one guest (not a biggie) until i realized long time guests (who get preference) don't like what was planned around other guest.
So, back to two different breakfasts to accommodate all the real issues (none, it seems) and the 'we don't like...' issues (not a big deal when you're here every year and you're good people).

Funny thing is I remember this reservation coming in and asking specifically if air born flour particles or anything like that would be an issue. No. Just can't eat it. Then at check in it's 'not that bad...'.
Of course the entire menu was adjusted around this one guest (not a biggie) until i realized long time guests (who get preference) don't like what was planned around other guest.
So, back to two different breakfasts to accommodate all the real issues (none, it seems) and the 'we don't like...' issues (not a big deal when you're here every year and you're good people).
Hard boiled eggs... no cross contamination that way. Frozen GF, DF, TF waffles (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Taste Free.)

Hard boiled eggs... no cross contamination that way. Frozen GF, DF, TF waffles (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Taste Free.)
Generic said:
I don't have a second toaster.
We'll have eggs tho. There will be plenty to choose from.
Unfortunately I forgot my plan to have hb eggs and yogurt for these situations. Long busy weekend and family in residence. I'm exhausted.

Generic said:
Unfortunately I forgot my plan to have hb eggs and yogurt for these situations. Long busy weekend and family in residence. I'm exhausted.
We actually bought one of those $10 toasters just for Celiacs. We don't let anyone use it, just us. And it's only for Celiacs. GF... get the cross contaminated toaster... Celiacs get the special toaster. We keep it in the original box marked with tape closing it on top of the cabinets.

Feeling tied down to The House… Sorry, can't do that, needed at The House..
Duff2014 said:
Feeling tied down to The House… Sorry, can't do that, needed at The House.
Oh yes, agree on that one.
Wont miss having people in the house either.
Further qualification to this, being woken up or disturbed in the evening by people in the bedroom above us.

Generic said:
Morticia said:
How about these? https://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Innovations-ToasterBags

Generic said:
Morticia said:
InnSemiRetirement said:
Morticia said:
I saw mention of those and was going to ask if anyone has ever used them.

Trip Advisor reviews from people who( don't) think my Vacation rental BnB is staffed by many (not just me) and at this cheap price... I always recommend another high priced ( fully staffed) BnB in my comments to TA. Cheap/discount people need Motel 6 not me . Wont miss these people. Now I really appreciate people who call/text or knock on my door and tell me something is amiss in their suite. Who wouldn't love them ......I can correct all and make them satisfied ...

We talk about , "if we ever own the house."
If we ever own the house, I will be happy to have a bedroom that is not also a hallway between the kitchen and TV room.
(Yes, we considered switching the TV room and bedroom and it would help make the apartment more livable, but would involve too much construction for us to bother.)

Generic said:
We actually bought one of those $10 toasters just for Celiacs. We don't let anyone use it, just us. And it's only for Celiacs. GF... get the cross contaminated toaster... Celiacs get the special toaster. We keep it in the original box marked with tape closing it on top of the cabinets.
Did the same at my local dollar store - $10 and it stays in the box in the plastic bag until I need it. Anyone who is just intolerant can go in the regular toaster oven (I clean the racks) but a celiac has to have special treatment. And $10 is cheap money to ensure someone doesn't get sick.

We talk about , "if we ever own the house."
If we ever own the house, I will be happy to have a bedroom that is not also a hallway between the kitchen and TV room.
(Yes, we considered switching the TV room and bedroom and it would help make the apartment more livable, but would involve too much construction for us to bother.).
I think a large part of our continuing to be happy in this business is having a large living quarters, I could only camp out in tiny quarters for a short period before becoming (more) grumpy from the lack of space.
Guess that would be my advice for anyone considering the business is to think long term about the living area of the property and choose a property where you will be happy with more than just the income.

Back