When it's somebody else's nickel!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverspoon

Reaction score
It always amazes me that people will fire up the gas fireplace at the end of December until the cottage is 80 degrees (mind you, it was only 50 degrees outside...kind of balmy for New Year's Eve) and then have the nerve to go out for the evening leaving the windows open. We charge enough for the cottage to afford the gas.....but it is the principle of the thing that bugs the hell out of me.
angry_smile.gif

This couple from NYC did not budge all day so we had no way to dry, fluff and straighten. When they FINALLY left for an evening out, we went over to retrieve the breakfast tray, dry the shower (in this case the walls and windows were so wet that we had to dry them too!), pick up the wet towels, dry the puddles all over the floor and freshen up the place, it was like a steam bath in the entire cottage. There are 3 zones of heat in the cottage and they used them all to create a tropical paradise. I guess this vacation is cheaper for them than a trip to the Caribbean...I just wish they had not created their tropical paradise on OUR nickel.
Looking forward to closing mid-week in Jan and Feb....I think we really need it.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Thanks for the ear and Happy New Year to all of you!
cheers.gif

We have a electric fire in room 2 that is very realistic and does a nice flame effect. Went up after 2 chaps checked out as it wasn't busy while I was waiting for the next guests to come down. Went in fire on full blast all lights on room, bathroom everywhere. So was glad I went up as it would have been running till the chamber maid got to it which depending where she started could have been 1pm!

We have a electric fire in room 2 that is very realistic and does a nice flame effect. Went up after 2 chaps checked out as it wasn't busy while I was waiting for the next guests to come down. Went in fire on full blast all lights on room, bathroom everywhere. So was glad I went up as it would have been running till the chamber maid got to it which depending where she started could have been 1pm!.
I went on a road trip in the UK in 1959 with my grandmother, who insisted on staying in 5-star hotels, period. We were in a vast Victorian in Wales with freezing rain driving in across the Irish Sea. The place was very fancy, very expensive, served a great tea, but ... the only room heat was a gas log about the size of an overnight case and that would only run for about 20 minutes after you put in a sixpence piece. My grandmother harrumphed all evening about that and I had to fetch a pocketfull of sixpence pieces to keep the place warm.
So, go retro, Cambs, harken back to the parsimony of the old days, put in a coin op heater.

We have a electric fire in room 2 that is very realistic and does a nice flame effect. Went up after 2 chaps checked out as it wasn't busy while I was waiting for the next guests to come down. Went in fire on full blast all lights on room, bathroom everywhere. So was glad I went up as it would have been running till the chamber maid got to it which depending where she started could have been 1pm!.
I went on a road trip in the UK in 1959 with my grandmother, who insisted on staying in 5-star hotels, period. We were in a vast Victorian in Wales with freezing rain driving in across the Irish Sea. The place was very fancy, very expensive, served a great tea, but ... the only room heat was a gas log about the size of an overnight case and that would only run for about 20 minutes after you put in a sixpence piece. My grandmother harrumphed all evening about that and I had to fetch a pocketfull of sixpence pieces to keep the place warm.
So, go retro, Cambs, harken back to the parsimony of the old days, put in a coin op heater.
I was in hotels in London that had coin heat. Thankfully, it was October and no heat was needed. I think it was 10p at the time.
I have a friend in the UK who has a smart card for his electricity. It's prepaid. When he needs more, he has to shut down the whole house and go with the card to buy more. Very odd!

I was in hotels in London that had coin heat. Thankfully, it was October and no heat was needed. I think it was 10p at the time.
I have a friend in the UK who has a smart card for his electricity. It's prepaid. When he needs more, he has to shut down the whole house and go with the card to buy more. Very odd!
That system is used in either rented properties which the landlord doesn't want the tennants running up big bills and then scarpering ie they have to pay as they go. This is very popular with the low rent 6 month type tenancys as you don't have to keep changing the names on the bills you just hand the swipe card over to the next tennant. However this way of paying is much more expensive than being billed. It is also a solution for people who have been declared bankrupt as they are not allowed any kind of credit which includes bills they have to be paid as they go so its a solution for them. HOwever it does mean that it is generally much more expensive as you generally get a discount for paying direct debit.

They do that kind of dumb stuff here in the Caribbean, too, except it's w/the AC! And, tho I have some good friends from NY, NY & DC (& MD, bc it often means DC) area codes make us cringe... Sorry for the stereotyping, but it's 99% of the time the case....

Holy Flash-Back Batman. As a university student I chose to rent accommodations as opposed to staying in a hall of residence (provided by the university). No showers (of course) and when you wanted a bath you had to feed the metre with 50p coins until you had enough hot water. I will, for the rest of my life, consider a free bath to be the ultimate luxury.

Holy Flash-Back Batman. As a university student I chose to rent accommodations as opposed to staying in a hall of residence (provided by the university). No showers (of course) and when you wanted a bath you had to feed the metre with 50p coins until you had enough hot water. I will, for the rest of my life, consider a free bath to be the ultimate luxury.
UKMaineiac said:
This is not meant to be a one-upper, just to let you know i am with you.
I grew up on a farm & unlike the neighbors who dug cisterns or had wells, we had neither. The well hit mine surface water (totally unusable for anything) and Daddy did not get around to putting in a cistern until we moved to town and did it for the renters. We hauled our water in 5, 8, and 10 gallon milk cans.
Flash forward 25 years. We are on vacation driving through Wyoming. It was VERY hot and DH did not believe in AC in a car. We were traveling with 5 kids and all day, all I could think of was the L O N G cool shower I was going to get tonight. We encounter a lightning storm and pull into the ONLY motel./restaurant we had seen for many miles. In the restaurant is a small sign stating: Our water is for our customers. We haul it 50 miles.
I could NOT take a shower that night even though DH pointed out (correctly) that they hauled it in tanker trucks. Use precious water for a shower? Sponge bath is not wasteful.

Back