When neighbors come asking favors

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't and we're very friendly with our neighbors here..and he is sargent of dispatch for the county sheriff's department.....and I'm pretty sure they would never ask for a discount. A good neighbor wouldn't, knowing what a busy weekend that is.

My neighbor down the road is also a sheriff's deputy. I wouldn't give him a discount either just because he's law inforcement.
When we requested they patroled a little more on our road because of the speeding, one day I went to their car to thank them and offered them some of my signiture cookies. They told me they couldn't take them, it was against regulations. They didn't want it to seem like we were getting any special treatment.
If a neighbor hadn't talked with you in 3 years, there's no reason to feel obligated to do anything special for them. It's your busy season and this is when you bring in your real bread and butter.

i am not being critical, but when new folks move in to the neighborhood, i go over and introduce myself ... not the other way around. as an innkeeper, i also brought blueberry muffins and a couple brochures ~ figured it couldn't hurt. anyway, if i didn't introduce myself and they didn't come over, time went by and it got really awkward.

i am not being critical, but when new folks move in to the neighborhood, i go over and introduce myself ... not the other way around. as an innkeeper, i also brought blueberry muffins and a couple brochures ~ figured it couldn't hurt. anyway, if i didn't introduce myself and they didn't come over, time went by and it got really awkward..
seashanty said:
i am not being critical, but when new folks move in to the neighborhood, i go over and introduce myself ... not the other way around. as an innkeeper, i also brought blueberry muffins and a couple brochures ~ figured it couldn't hurt. anyway, if i didn't introduce myself and they didn't come over, time went by and it got really awkward.
Oh yes, I tried that. I would be working in the garden and see them pull in their driveway. I would smile and wave. They would not respond at first. It was only last summer I got a wave out of them. The wife seems a bit friendlier than the husband. Then they got a dog that barks at everything that moves, so I was put off to go over, but continued with the waving. There is no harm in being friendly. I suppose they are friendly when it is an advantage to them.

i am not being critical, but when new folks move in to the neighborhood, i go over and introduce myself ... not the other way around. as an innkeeper, i also brought blueberry muffins and a couple brochures ~ figured it couldn't hurt. anyway, if i didn't introduce myself and they didn't come over, time went by and it got really awkward..
seashanty said:
Oh yes, I tried that. I would be working in the garden and see them pull in their driveway. I would smile and wave. They would not respond at first. It was only last summer I got a wave out of them. The wife seems a bit friendlier than the husband. Then they got a dog that barks at everything that moves, so I was put off to go over, but continued with the waving. There is no harm in being friendly. I suppose they are friendly when it is an advantage to them.
The Farmers Daughter said:
seashanty said:
wow ...

Ok FD here's some perspective for consideration about the "neighbors discount" and who to offer it to.
We are in the final day of a whole house, four night stay which despite this being one of the most popular and busy weekends of the year in area because of a huge hispanic arts festival going on, we gave the neighbor a great deal for his extended family reunion.
We've turned away at least a dozen potential full paying guests for this weekend in the last month alone.
As I write this, 6 of the 8 have unceremoniously checked out because at 1am this morning I had the unmitigated gall to get up and go politely ask them to "try and monitor their volume" on our front portal. The entire weekend has been an exhausting war of wills with these folks and we are convinced that the "great neighbor" dumped this arm of his family on us in order to get some sleep himself.
After asking them to be a little quieter, I was physically threatened by my neighbor's brother and my neighbors two nephews flipped me the old "dude, you better chill out or you'll be sorry"
Getting this kind of treatment after having spent the last three days and nights listening to them, cleaning up their vomit and bhut blasts in all the toilets, filthy rooms and a lack of disrespect that we only seem to get when we do stuff like this is ludicrous.
We got every single morning like normal and did all our normal prep as if all eight would be enjoying the wonderful breakfasts they had all heard about. The final two check out early tommorrow and don't want anything, so for four mornings in a row, we'll have put everything together like normal, but we have actually served a grand total of 4 breakfasts out of a potential 32.
The food waste alone is appalling.
The neighbor is actually paying for everything, so there is no financial incentive or consequences for the family to act properly.
The house is in pretty good shape, but our psyche's are worn to a frazzle.
He just stopped by to explain himself and apologize and our relationship is strong enough to endure, but he just couldn't believe what a waste the weekend became. He stated that at least several of the other family members of a more sober mentaility would have loved to experience what we have to offer but that idea is about four days too late and many dollars too short to think of now.
My advice to you is to make sure if you choose to do the deal, deal directly with all guests coming and make sure every one of them is privy to all of your policies, behavior expectations, etc.
Don't leave it to the intermediary, it either won't get done, or they will minimize how serious you are about running a proper business.
All of these lout's youngest chidren camped out on the neighbor's land and so not wanting to embarrass themselves in front of their youngest kids, they waited until returning here to really get drunk and stupid.

Ok FD here's some perspective for consideration about the "neighbors discount" and who to offer it to.
We are in the final day of a whole house, four night stay which despite this being one of the most popular and busy weekends of the year in area because of a huge hispanic arts festival going on, we gave the neighbor a great deal for his extended family reunion.
We've turned away at least a dozen potential full paying guests for this weekend in the last month alone.
As I write this, 6 of the 8 have unceremoniously checked out because at 1am this morning I had the unmitigated gall to get up and go politely ask them to "try and monitor their volume" on our front portal. The entire weekend has been an exhausting war of wills with these folks and we are convinced that the "great neighbor" dumped this arm of his family on us in order to get some sleep himself.
After asking them to be a little quieter, I was physically threatened by my neighbor's brother and my neighbors two nephews flipped me the old "dude, you better chill out or you'll be sorry"
Getting this kind of treatment after having spent the last three days and nights listening to them, cleaning up their vomit and bhut blasts in all the toilets, filthy rooms and a lack of disrespect that we only seem to get when we do stuff like this is ludicrous.
We got every single morning like normal and did all our normal prep as if all eight would be enjoying the wonderful breakfasts they had all heard about. The final two check out early tommorrow and don't want anything, so for four mornings in a row, we'll have put everything together like normal, but we have actually served a grand total of 4 breakfasts out of a potential 32.
The neighbor is actually paying for everything, so there is no financial incentive or consequences for the family to act properly.
He just stopped by to explain himself and apologize and our relationship is strong enough to endure, but he just couldn't believe what a waste the weekend became. He stated that at least several of the other family members of a more sober mentaility would have loved to experience what we have to offer but that idea is about four days too late and many dollars too short to think of now.
My advice to you is to make sure if you choose to do the deal, deal directly with all guests coming and make sure every one of them is privy to all of your policies, behavior expectations, etc.
Don't leave it to the intermediary, it either won't get done, or they will minimize how serious you are about running a proper business.
All of these lout's youngest chidren camped out on the neighbor's land and so not wanting to embarrass themselves in front of their youngest kids, they waited until returning here to really get drunk and stupid..
We get a neighbor's family every summer for a week. We know why. The guest demanded a discount. Doesn't like anything we serve and smokes like a chimney on the porch with all the doors and windows into the house wide open. Why would you want them staying in your own house when you can pawn them off on the business next door?

All of these lout's youngest chidren camped out on the neighbor's land and so not wanting to embarrass themselves in front of their youngest kids, they waited until returning here to really get drunk and stupid..
Oh, brother! This is why I don't like groups. They get some kind of mob mentality and act like jerks.

We get a neighbor's family every summer for a week. We know why. The guest demanded a discount. Doesn't like anything we serve and smokes like a chimney on the porch with all the doors and windows into the house wide open. Why would you want them staying in your own house when you can pawn them off on the business next door?
Bree said:
Bingo!
Don't get me wrong, this neighbor has been increbily helpful, friendly and despite being about ten income classes above ours, always very approachable and kind.
His relatives threw him for a loop too on this one. The other couples who could have stayed here all have the youngest of the children , so they were nervous about being too far from them in case one got scared in the middle of the night. Understandable.
We ask about four things of our guests.
1. Treat us, other guests and the house with a modicum of respect.
2. Don't smoke in the house.
3. Don't display obnoxious or beligerent inebriation. In other words, if you can't hide your drunkenness, don't get that drunk. We're not prudes and don't want ot rain on anybody's good time, but if a simple request for a little lower volume gets met with what I encountered, you've had too much to drink.
What always amazes on #3 is of all the responses I could get for that polite request for some lower volume during the wee hours, "Wow, we're really sorry, we'll tone it down immediately" is never one of them.
4. When leaving the property for any length of time, turn off your A/C and a few extra lights.
These folks all made a nightly practice of coming back here from dinner which was usually around 7 because of the youngins, going in their rooms and turning every light and the A/C on and then walking over to the neighbor's property to get shiitefaced for 5 more hours.
Once all the normal folks and kids over there went to bed around midnight, they stumbled back over here and kept the party going on here each night out on the porch. All the while, every light and the A/C is still cranking in their rooms. When I found them on the porch this morning at 1 to ask for some quiet, they were all smoking in front of the open door to the one room with every light in it on AND the A/C cranking.
So the door open is enough and the A/C is acting like a vaccuum to draw even more smoke inside. You may as well just go in and smoke.

You need to make it clear that who every stays make the reservation because you need the cc number. Other wise you won't be clear who is paying. This is a huge problem in the end. You should just tell them you can't give discounts this time of year.
If you have a store in town they would not go to the store and say I live close by and would like a discount for what I am buying. NO this would not happen.
You will be much happier if you don't do it. No only do I love my job I want to be a happy innkeeper. I have learned over the years this is so true.

This thread got me to thinking (uh oh
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
) couldn't something like this happen with someone who had received a gift certificate for your B&B? The gift giver might be aware of the policies (chances are they won't) but the recipient rarely has a clue.
As you all well know, the time for them to know your policies is NOT after they have arrived.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
All of these lout's youngest chidren camped out on the neighbor's land and so not wanting to embarrass themselves in front of their youngest kids, they waited until returning here to really get drunk and stupid.
Holy Crap! What a nightmare!
So far I have not heard, or seen the neighbors since they came over last week. I will let you know what pans out. I may have put them off when I told them it was a 2 night minium. The family can drive 12 miles over to the Hampton Inn for 1 night if that is what they want. No skin of my nose.

Sorry but when they enquired I would have lied and said I was full! Its a total cheek to ask for a discount on the fact they simply live nearby if you had been chatting back and forth I myself may have offered a discount but not in a very busy period. I basically think they are trying it on. Or if it is too late for that make them pay up in full in advance and insist on a two night stay (non refundable) with any luck they will dislike the terms so much they will go somewhere else. If they balk say well everyone else who comes at this busy time has to do this policy.

Funny thing...they ended up having the wedding and had people camping in tents on their property. Haven't said a word to me since. Cheeky buggers!

Back