When neighbors come asking favors

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
My neighbors from across the street moved in 3 years ago. They came to the front door just now to introduce themselves. They want to book 3 rooms for a Saturday night in October for a wedding they are having in their back yard. The weekend of their event just happens to fall on our villages Fall Wine Festival Weekend of which I will be completely booked for. I told them I still had some rooms open, but they would need to commit to a 2 night stay. They also asked about a 'neighbors discount'. What do you think about this? I will be booked solid for the Festival so I don't 'need' their business. Is it a bad idea to diss your neighbors? (one of which is a state trooper). How would you handle this?

I think I would have asked (and this would only work at the time they asked about the neighbor's discount) Does that mean I get a neighbors's pass instead of a ticket if I am speeding?
You have an out that no one else has - YOU are not the OWNER. Only the owners can OK a neighbor's discount.

why should it matter what he does for a job? fair weather neighbors, it sounds like to me. couldn't be bothered to acknowledge you until now?

I would go with the Wine Festival guests. If the wedding guests turn out to be PITAs then you have to live across the street from the neighbor for a long time, as well as possibly losing money if you chose to give a discount. It sounds like you will only be getting yourself into a sticky situation again.

I would stand by the two nights but offer a discount.
Although they're supposed to be in an honest line of duty, I've read and heard far too many horror stories about neighbors and cops who get off on the wrong foot.
Creating tension in the neighborhood is not something you want to do, especially with somebody who could potentially make your business more difficult to run.

i gave a neighbor's discount. admittedly, grudgingly (i hope they couldn't tell), the first time. but it paid off because they recommended me in future to other people who needed rooms - and not at a discount.
just be sure to get the deposit etc. in EXACTLY the same way you would for anyone else. this is absolutely crucial. because another innkeeper near me did not ask for a deposit because it was a neighbor after all and then the neighbor's guests booked with her never showed up for a weekend wedding. it was 3 nites, all 3 of her rooms, basically on a handshake. and the neighbor didn't feel responsible because the rooms were not for her but for wedding guests. so there was a heated discussion and hard feelings and lost revenue with no recourse.
this other innkeeper was able to book two of the rooms for one of the remaining nights, but it was very different from three rooms, three nights.

Oh, absolutely. That goes without saying. A reservation is not a confirmed committment without a valid credit card. It is on the discussion end right now with them and the familys arriving from Chicago for the wedding.
I made it very clear that being as small as we are and with the popular wine event, they will need to make a decision soon as we could fill at any time.

We host MANY family members and friends of neighbors throughout the year.
We're surrounded by fellow artists whose spare bedrooms are studio space, so we are usually the first choice of folks. We have at least half a dozen relatives of neighbors who come more than once a year, so its substantial.
As I've stated many times in other threads about discounts, if your place accepts reservations through second party booking engines with a commission due, or you are willing to pay a travel agent a commission, then what is the difference if you do it on a one on one level and have somewhat "vetted" guests to boot?
We have had a few of these backfire in the behavioral department, but far fewer than even in our general guest population. Most are incredibly grateful for the convenience of being close to the family to make visiting very easy, to not impose on a family member, the space at the end of the night to break from "family" time and relax and the chance to meet some of the family's other neighbors.
We always invite the neighbor to come join their family or friends for breakfast at least one of the mornings and it is all good from our perspective. It has enhanced our standing and connnection to our neighbors a hundredfold.

We do provide a neighbor discount to the 2 neighborhoods that are around us. We get quite a lot of guests through these neighbors and even have one of our rooms taken this weekend through them. We provided all a magnet with the discount code on it. It states that the discount does not apply during holidays or event periods.
It is my feeling that since these people have lived across the street from you for THREE years and never made an attempt to introduce themselves until they WANT a favor they are just wanting guilt you into the discount. They KNOW the area fills up during that weekend, and they KNOW hotel prices will be higher than normal. Why would they plan an event during one of the busiest weekends in your town??? If it were me I would tell them that normally you would be more than happy to extend a good neighbor discount BUT due to the large event happening that weekend, your rates must stay intact.

To those of you who do offer a local lodging discount, what % off do you give?.
The Farmers Daughter said:
To those of you who do offer a local lodging discount, what % off do you give?
We do a chamber discount, which is a 'local' discount. It's 10%. Rarely do we get regular locals looking for a place to put their family. This year we had one local book the whole inn for a wedding. When it came time to pony up the deposit she refused. That weekend is still wide open for me and I'm more and more annoyed at her and myself for not insisting on the deposit much earlier.
Live and learn.

If its the family or friend of somebody who just "knows" an immediate neighbor but lives in our area, 10% high season, 20% low season.
If its the family or friend of an immediate neighbor and their first time, 20% high season, 30% low season. Returning guests in the same category, an extra 5%.
This is in the range of what we would pay in commission to a second party booking engine.
So if given the choice between a fully vetted and usually wonderful guest we have a connection to and know and one we know nothing about, we'll take the folks who walk around here callling us the "other" kids of theirs and this as "their home away from home" any day of the week. We've developed some really special friendships with some of these folks.
We cut the discounts down considerably for holidays and these folks usually come loaded with gifts and such for us. As many of us know, holidays can be a little sparse on the spirit with us working so hard to serve others, so that is our chance to feel like its a holiday also.

We do a 15%, for 2 or more nights.
When thinking on the discount, just make it a little better than what you do for the regular guest, that is if you have any discounts or specials you promote. Even a 5% or $10 off is nice if you do not discount for anyone. Some just like the thought that they are being treated special...

My neighbors from across the street moved in 3 years ago. They came to the front door just now to introduce themselves. They want to book 3 rooms for a Saturday night in October for a wedding they are having in their back yard. . How would you handle this?
Ummm, they moved in THREE YEARS AGO and are just now introducing themselves? You will probably get nothing from this. Wedding in the back yard? Sounds like the couple that wanted to get married in my vineyard and have already cancelled that.
If you decide to give them a discount (and I don't know why you would) I would require a two night stay and payment up front as it is 'busy season". Weddings can go bust and you'd be left with one open night with two days' notice.
RIki

What kind of neighbors are they if it took 3 years to come over and introduce themselves. Sorry I would say..this is "such and such weekend" and we will fill up quickly. We don't give discounts during "prime" events. And uh oh..wedding guests...that opens another can of worms. I'd book them a room if they pay a deposit and guarantee the 2 nights. that is it.

My neighbors from across the street moved in 3 years ago. They came to the front door just now to introduce themselves. They want to book 3 rooms for a Saturday night in October for a wedding they are having in their back yard. . How would you handle this?
Ummm, they moved in THREE YEARS AGO and are just now introducing themselves? You will probably get nothing from this. Wedding in the back yard? Sounds like the couple that wanted to get married in my vineyard and have already cancelled that.
If you decide to give them a discount (and I don't know why you would) I would require a two night stay and payment up front as it is 'busy season". Weddings can go bust and you'd be left with one open night with two days' notice.
RIki.
Total sidetrack here Riki, but I have guests from VA who love the area you're in. I've told them your inn name for their next 'close to home' getaway. They LOVED the idea of the winery tours.

RIki.
Total sidetrack here Riki, but I have guests from VA who love the area you're in. I've told them your inn name for their next 'close to home' getaway. They LOVED the idea of the winery tours.
Bree said:
You are a doll! Thank you so much, and when are you coming down here????!!!
RIki

Back