When seasonal rates change halfway thru a weekend

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you charge the same (higher or lower) rate for both days?
Just curious as last weekend we lowered rates on Saturday (Nov 1). Some guests were here for 4 days, some for 2 and some for 1. One couple changed their room from Saturday to Friday and paid the extra in season rate by doing that.
Wondering how it works for you? I've had guests argue why can't I give them the lower rate both days because it is 'just one day in season'? (Same folks who would argue the OTHER way in the spring!)

The answer is you do what is best for you.
My rates are the same (unless I am giving a discount) year round (easier on DH). IF my rates changed I think I would make the change go into effect starting on a Friday or as of a Monday to avoid the rate change during a stay. If it was a 4 nighter (unless it was a "killer" difference in price) I would probably give the discount all nights in hopes of getting a returner. Or make the change on a Wednesday closest to the change of season to avoid the weekend dillema.

That's a little tricky situation there. I think I would have given everyone the same rate..those that were there the same time. Did they all talk about it to each other?? How did they know?
I think I just would have waited until the weekend was over and then changed to the off season rate. That is cutting it a little too close:-(

I think its the same as rates changing between weekday and weekend which mine do every week, unless it's a last minute res or a long stay or special discount, the guest would pay the applicable rate based on the rate changes.

I think its the same as rates changing between weekday and weekend which mine do every week, unless it's a last minute res or a long stay or special discount, the guest would pay the applicable rate based on the rate changes..
agoodman said:
I think its the same as rates changing between weekday and weekend which mine do every week, unless it's a last minute res or a long stay or special discount, the guest would pay the applicable rate based on the rate changes.
It's a bigger difference...weekdays are $5 cheaper here. Off season can be $25 difference.

I think its the same as rates changing between weekday and weekend which mine do every week, unless it's a last minute res or a long stay or special discount, the guest would pay the applicable rate based on the rate changes..
agoodman said:
It's a bigger difference...weekdays are $5 cheaper here. Off season can be $25 difference.
I realize the price dif may be bigger but I think the concept is the same, is what I was trying to say. My difference BTW is $20.00 between weekday and weekend

Bree, for your situation, what about an average between the two rates. If you in-season is $150/night and your off-season is $130/night, why not charge them $140/night for their stay?

It is really irritating. I looked all over at hotels for Pitts and every single one charged me more for the THURS than the WED. I was not even booking a weekend! Go to Orbitz or Priceline or hotels.com and see how over 3 nights they give you diff rates, then an AVERAGE overall.
So in other words, it is what it is, not just B&B's but all over - guests are used to it. No big deal.

Bree, for your situation, what about an average between the two rates. If you in-season is $150/night and your off-season is $130/night, why not charge them $140/night for their stay?.
penelope said:
Bree, for your situation, what about an average between the two rates. If you in-season is $150/night and your off-season is $130/night, why not charge them $140/night for their stay?
You, my dear Penelope, are too logical...the guests wants to pay the cheapest rate, not the same rate! SO, if the room is $130 on Saturday, they don't want to pay $150 on Friday and they certainly don't want to pay $140 for both nights! ('Why are you charging me MORE??? It says right here, that the rate is $130!!!) BTW, no one would ever ask why I'm charging them LESS for Friday if I were to follow your plan.
I wouldn't split the diff online because not everyone stays 2 nights.
I was just wondering if anyone makes an adaptation for this event...it happens mid-week as well, but we have fewer guests midweek in the off season.

i had our rates change memorial day weekend and columbus day weekend. sometimes, yes, guests booked over the 'span' ... the way i handled it was to say 'the room for x nite is $. but one nite (or whatever) counts as during our quiet season, so your rate for that nite (or those nites) is only $.' i did not have any complaints or requests for the lower rate.
note: got to be careful if you did something like averaging for the 2 or 3 nites because if the guest cancels a nite of their stay within the guidelines of cancellation policy and the nite they cancel is the lesser price, you've given them a deal. the difference CAN be substantial.

It's called Yield Management, and yes if you can get a higher rate for one night then go for it.
Thu nights can often be more $$, since many business guests check out on a Friday, Thu nights are a popular night!
Many metro areas are offering lower rates on weekends now as a lot of people who used to travel on weekends don't travel anymore and whereas before the weekends were more expensive, now they are cheaper, except when there is a major convention or shopping thing or concert etc

I don't do a change-over during a weekend. High season rates start on a Friday, quiet season rates start on a Monday. If a guest books a stay that straddles two different rates, I charge them the high season rate on the high season night, and the quiet season rate on the quiet season night.
If they wanted a discount for the high season night, I might do it, especially if the weather was already behaving like quiet season weather (in other words, business was slow).
Bree, since you post a rate range on your rooms page and direct people to your online booking to see the actual rate, why do you choose a weekend for your season change? Wouldn't it be just as easy to choose Nov 2nd or 3rd for your new season to begin? Just curious, because I struggled with this when I first went to seasonal rates.

I don't do a change-over during a weekend. High season rates start on a Friday, quiet season rates start on a Monday. If a guest books a stay that straddles two different rates, I charge them the high season rate on the high season night, and the quiet season rate on the quiet season night.
If they wanted a discount for the high season night, I might do it, especially if the weather was already behaving like quiet season weather (in other words, business was slow).
Bree, since you post a rate range on your rooms page and direct people to your online booking to see the actual rate, why do you choose a weekend for your season change? Wouldn't it be just as easy to choose Nov 2nd or 3rd for your new season to begin? Just curious, because I struggled with this when I first went to seasonal rates..
I have printed literature that says actual dates. Nov 1- Apr 30, that sort of thing. And it says that on all the directories as well.

Bree, since you post a rate range on your rooms page and direct people to your online booking to see the actual rate, why do you choose a weekend for your season change? Wouldn't it be just as easy to choose Nov 2nd or 3rd for your new season to begin? Just curious, because I struggled with this when I first went to seasonal rates..
I have printed literature that says actual dates. Nov 1- Apr 30, that sort of thing. And it says that on all the directories as well.
When it's time to reprint your literature, you may consider putting seasons instead of firm dates. Maybe "late-fall to mid-spring". That's what I do now.

When we went away last weekend we paid summer rate on Friday (October 31) and winter rate on Saturday (Nov. 1). I didn't think anything of it. Well, I was grateful that they went by date so that we had a cut on one night.
=)
Kk.

Bree, for your situation, what about an average between the two rates. If you in-season is $150/night and your off-season is $130/night, why not charge them $140/night for their stay?.
penelope said:
You, my dear Penelope, are too logical...the guests wants to pay the cheapest rate, not the same rate! SO, if the room is $130 on Saturday, they don't want to pay $150 on Friday and they certainly don't want to pay $140 for both nights! ('Why are you charging me MORE??? It says right here, that the rate is $130!!!) BTW, no one would ever ask why I'm charging them LESS for Friday if I were to follow your plan.
I wouldn't split the diff online because not everyone stays 2 nights.
I was just wondering if anyone makes an adaptation for this event...it happens mid-week as well, but we have fewer guests midweek in the off season.
I guess if the first of November falls on a weekend, I would just wait to change the rates on Monday :)
ETA: I should have read the whole thread! With an actual date in print for rates, I wouldn't worry about it if you have it well publicized. Guests should know what to expect when they book. Don't worry about it.

When it's time to reprint your literature, you may consider putting seasons instead of firm dates. Maybe "late-fall to mid-spring". That's what I do now.
happyjacks said:
You do realize I'll have guests arguing seasons, right? 'Late fall' will start in Sept.
wink_smile.gif

happyjacks said:
You do realize I'll have guests arguing seasons, right? 'Late fall' will start in Sept.
wink_smile.gif

Maybe just put "in season" and off season and YOU decide when that is.:)

happyjacks said:
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
happyjacks said:
wink_smile.gif
I've only once had someone ask me if quiet season prices were in effect yet when it was still busy leaf season. But you do have the "shoppers" don't you.
Look at it this way, the same people who see your rate range and expect/hope to pay the low end at any time of year will try to debate the seasons. The thing is, it's subjective. There's no right answer -- except yours. :)

Back