When someone books 'the whole place'...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good topic. You will find that no matter what policy you start with regarding groups, you will change it over time. I do not think I have ever been 100% satisfied with my policies on groups. I have already made notes on some things posted here.
Here is my current answers:
Do you change your cancellation policy? Make it longer?
Yes, 30 days prior to stay.
Do you require a deposit?
Yes, 1 nights stay, the day they make the reservation. Balance paid 30 days prior to stay - no refunds, strictly inforced!
Do you offer a discount?
Yes, 10% for 3 or more rooms (have 5 total - 13 people max), for 3 nights or more, unless booking is during a holiday or event period, which there is no discount & may be higher rates.
Do you need to know the names of whos in each room?
Yes! This way I can be sure of the TOTAL number of guests. I have had someone slip in extra people in their room thinking I would not catch it - they were slapped with additional charges and now my policy is better written to prevent this. As stated by others, some of these people have never stayed at a B&B before and think they can get away with things like they can at a hotel. It is very important to have firm policies that are detailed and provided to all members of the group. (I have emplimented a requirement that all of the group sign my policies at checkin)
Do you allow one person to 'hold the rooms' and then have others in the party call to hold they particular room?
To get the discount, they must have one 'contact' person. This person is responsible for the deposit and final payment and is my contact for all information. If there are cancellations within the group, that is that persons burden, not mine.
Anything else?
Make sure they are under the understanding that this is not a vacation rental, meaning they can not use the kitchen or laundry or hold parties on the property. Since we do have party facilities, it was very important that I state that those facilites are not included but I will be happy to provide a quote for that rental if they would like..
How was the trip?
Hi GH! It was great, thanks for asking! Very relaxing, good weather, wonderful beaches and clear blue water. We roamed around Nasau for 1/2 the day scouting out places we went on our honeymoon 32 years ago. We had my Dad with us so we did take things slow but that was what we wanted. Came back and had to jump back into the swing with guests coming in that night.
Our real vacation will be next month to Hawaii. (can't wait)
Go ahead! Make me jealous! Going away with DH is more stressful than staying home. I will get a day and a half this month with the Governor's Conference (would have been 2 and a half but our daughter will be here so it is rush there and rush back) So I will have to settle for the Mid-Atlantic in January.
To explain - Since he on crutches I get to be the pack horse, open doors, look for restaurants with food that HE will eat and try to find something worth eating for me, walking at his pace is excruciating for my knees, and the constant worry about him putting a crutch on a slick surface, a stone or any other whatever so that he falls (and hearing him constantly carping about whatever) sort of takes the fun out of things. He absolutely refuses to do a wheelchair when we go places - would make it so much easier for me. He would rather be angry at the world because he had polio than be happy to be alive and grateful for what he does have - an artistic talent many would give their eyeteeth to have and it does not require legs or 2 hands to do it. Can you tell I am very tired today?
gillumhouse said:
Go ahead! Make me jealous! Going away with DH is more stressful than staying home. I will get a day and a half this month with the Governor's Conference (would have been 2 and a half but our daughter will be here so it is rush there and rush back) So I will have to settle for the Mid-Atlantic in January.
To explain - Since he on crutches I get to be the pack horse, open doors, look for restaurants with food that HE will eat and try to find something worth eating for me, walking at his pace is excruciating for my knees, and the constant worry about him putting a crutch on a slick surface, a stone or any other whatever so that he falls (and hearing him constantly carping about whatever) sort of takes the fun out of things. He absolutely refuses to do a wheelchair when we go places - would make it so much easier for me. He would rather be angry at the world because he had polio than be happy to be alive and grateful for what he does have - an artistic talent many would give their eyeteeth to have and it does not require legs or 2 hands to do it. Can you tell I am very tired today?
Would he consider using a scooter? I bought this one for my mother and it has been wonderful. It's easy to transport and it only takes about 30 seconds to take apart and put it in your trunk. You take the seat off (easy) and the battery and then it only weighs about 30 pounds. It would give him and you such freedom! Another innkeeper told me about this because her husband also wouldn't use a chair but loves driving this scooter.
268385.jpg
it's $549 which includes free shipping. walgreens.com

Good topic. You will find that no matter what policy you start with regarding groups, you will change it over time. I do not think I have ever been 100% satisfied with my policies on groups. I have already made notes on some things posted here.
Here is my current answers:
Do you change your cancellation policy? Make it longer?
Yes, 30 days prior to stay.
Do you require a deposit?
Yes, 1 nights stay, the day they make the reservation. Balance paid 30 days prior to stay - no refunds, strictly inforced!
Do you offer a discount?
Yes, 10% for 3 or more rooms (have 5 total - 13 people max), for 3 nights or more, unless booking is during a holiday or event period, which there is no discount & may be higher rates.
Do you need to know the names of whos in each room?
Yes! This way I can be sure of the TOTAL number of guests. I have had someone slip in extra people in their room thinking I would not catch it - they were slapped with additional charges and now my policy is better written to prevent this. As stated by others, some of these people have never stayed at a B&B before and think they can get away with things like they can at a hotel. It is very important to have firm policies that are detailed and provided to all members of the group. (I have emplimented a requirement that all of the group sign my policies at checkin)
Do you allow one person to 'hold the rooms' and then have others in the party call to hold they particular room?
To get the discount, they must have one 'contact' person. This person is responsible for the deposit and final payment and is my contact for all information. If there are cancellations within the group, that is that persons burden, not mine.
Anything else?
Make sure they are under the understanding that this is not a vacation rental, meaning they can not use the kitchen or laundry or hold parties on the property. Since we do have party facilities, it was very important that I state that those facilites are not included but I will be happy to provide a quote for that rental if they would like..
How was the trip?
Hi GH! It was great, thanks for asking! Very relaxing, good weather, wonderful beaches and clear blue water. We roamed around Nasau for 1/2 the day scouting out places we went on our honeymoon 32 years ago. We had my Dad with us so we did take things slow but that was what we wanted. Came back and had to jump back into the swing with guests coming in that night.
Our real vacation will be next month to Hawaii. (can't wait)
gillumhouse said:
Would he consider using a scooter? I bought this one for my mother and it has been wonderful. It's easy to transport and it only takes about 30 seconds to take apart and put it in your trunk. You take the seat off (easy) and the battery and then it only weighs about 30 pounds. It would give him and you such freedom! Another innkeeper told me about this because her husband also wouldn't use a chair but loves driving this scooter.
268385.jpg
it's $549 which includes free shipping. walgreens.com
Heavens no! He gets around with 2 crutches, just v e r y s l o w l y. He looks at using a wheelchair as "giving in" and the heck with what helps me. I do not want him using anything around the house or for a normal go to the store. I just want him to use it when we go to events or museums, etc.
Last time we went to a baseball game I asked him if he was going to use the wheelchair or did he want me standing over him when he fell on the brick sidewalk saying I told you so. Because he capitulated we had the best seats in the house!
Basically, It is a power thing - he is in control and life is so much more pleasant when I just knuckle under to whomever is pulling my chain today. Learned that very early as a child. Probably why taking care of guests comes so easily.

Back