When stuff goes missing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We have spent some time today trying to find 4 wine glasses that 'disappeared' this weekend. Short of looking in guests' belongings, we have looked in dressers, closets, under the beds, in the trash, etc. Nothing. Along with the wine glasses (which are in the guest area for their use), we're also missing 2 fruit bowls.
Yesterday, 2 couples asked if they could have wine on the porch. I said that was a wonderful idea and I took a quick look at the shelf where the wine glasses are kept. 2 left. Hmmm. There are usually 8. Tally of rooms checked-in and MAYBE 4 glasses were taken to rooms (I did see 2 glasses headed down the hall.) I said, 'I'll just empty the dishwasher.' Nope, not there.
Luckily, they had their own. A spur of the moment purchase when they bought the wine.
So, off to Tar-get to buy wine glasses. The fruit bowls were brand new and it's too far of a drive right now to get more, but now I'm short if we have a full house and I deliberately bought extra. We even checked the receipt to be sure we weren't nutso about how many we picked up. Just one more aggravation this weekend.

If you spend $1 per glass, who cares if they go missing once in awhile?? Guests can break them & clean them up or whatever. Stuff happens. It's not like it's Fostoria crystal or something. Same thing with the fruit bowls...just don't buy anything that you care about leaving. Whatever.....
You need a break :)

maybe they are out in the yard, under beds, under sofas, on railings, in cars or 'helpful' guests have put them away in the place you will never look ... i find things all over the house in the most unlikely spots ... sometimes.

Maybe, maybe they broke them, and swept them up somehow?
But, it doesn't matter how much these things cost to replace, it's just the point, and it's still stealing. I mean, you know yourself, if items were stolen or not.
You have every right to call them and ask.
We had very nice terry cloth wraps in each room for him and for her. They were missing in one room. Both cost $40.
I called the last couple who was in the room and, very tactfully, said that maybe they got placed in their suitcase by mistake?
They were returned about 10 days later by Fedex.

check UNDER the beds. I found some there with a bottle of wine once. whatever, no reasoning it out, but just have a look.
I have SO MUCH in the way of kitchen stuff I would gladly have people take them! I have had guests leave a box of wine glasses, in the box, brand new, 8 of them, near a trash can in their room.
I have guests use the wine glasses for our big water dispenser instead of the plastic ones I have there. No biggee, they prob just don't like plastic cups.

I went back and read what I wrote and realized I made it sound like an all out man hunt for the glasses. Sorry. It's not that bad.
teeth_smile.gif
I just meant we looked in each room as we were cleaning. Nothing in the trash, unless they put the broken glasses in their cars! Nothing under the beds.
I think because of everything else going on I'm just bothered by more stuff than usual. Naw. I'm always bothered by stuff. It's just that the bother is not going away like it usually does.

I went back and read what I wrote and realized I made it sound like an all out man hunt for the glasses. Sorry. It's not that bad.
teeth_smile.gif
I just meant we looked in each room as we were cleaning. Nothing in the trash, unless they put the broken glasses in their cars! Nothing under the beds.
I think because of everything else going on I'm just bothered by more stuff than usual. Naw. I'm always bothered by stuff. It's just that the bother is not going away like it usually does..
Bree said:
teeth_smile.gif
I think because of everything else going on I'm just bothered by more stuff than usual. Naw. I'm always bothered by stuff. It's just that the bother is not going away like it usually does.
Did they go away yet? the you-know-whos?

teeth_smile.gif
I think because of everything else going on I'm just bothered by more stuff than usual. Naw. I'm always bothered by stuff. It's just that the bother is not going away like it usually does..
Bree said:
teeth_smile.gif
Did they go away yet? the you-know-whos?
Not yet.

check UNDER the beds. I found some there with a bottle of wine once. whatever, no reasoning it out, but just have a look.
I have SO MUCH in the way of kitchen stuff I would gladly have people take them! I have had guests leave a box of wine glasses, in the box, brand new, 8 of them, near a trash can in their room.
I have guests use the wine glasses for our big water dispenser instead of the plastic ones I have there. No biggee, they prob just don't like plastic cups..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I always try to check under the beds...after I found the fuzzy slippers in the room occupied by 2 young guys, I made it a habit to look!
And I'm always finding pills that got away. And I wonder if anyone NEEDED that pill! What's bad about that (not necessarily for me) is that there are some meds for guys that women of child-bearing age absolutely should not touch. So you think it's a button or an M&M and it's some sort of med.
Haven't scored any really good left behinds lately (NOT the meds, don't even THINK that!
tounge_smile.gif
). Well there was a DVD of the old Andy Griffith show a few weeks ago.

Just keep your sites on your next day off. 17th, right?
We drove an hour and a half up to the beach today. Dh tends to be not overly excited about the beach. I was worried about the 30% chance of thunderstorms, and increasing cloud cover, but the water temp was 75 and we're not likely to get there this summer if we didn't go today. It was great, just what the doctor ordered. We all had a great time, including dh.
Can you sneak out and hit the beach, even for an hour or two?
=)
Kk.

Just keep your sites on your next day off. 17th, right?
We drove an hour and a half up to the beach today. Dh tends to be not overly excited about the beach. I was worried about the 30% chance of thunderstorms, and increasing cloud cover, but the water temp was 75 and we're not likely to get there this summer if we didn't go today. It was great, just what the doctor ordered. We all had a great time, including dh.
Can you sneak out and hit the beach, even for an hour or two?
=)
Kk..
my daughter & g-kids are coming tomorrow so that will help. And it slows right down to nothing tomorrow for the next 3 days. That in and of itself will help. Maybe I can get out to the beach with them!

re when stuff goes missing
today i noticed a hand knitted afghan is not in the guest room where it should be. have hunted around some ... so far, no luck. i feel a little sad about this as it was a wedding gift. i didn't use it ... i'm not really an afghan person ... but, where could it be? hoping someone carried it down to another room or a chambermaid no longer here packed it away with blankets.
now it's on my mind.
i know, never put out in guest rooms or common rooms what you treasure. it went so well in this particular room .... i just never thought it would go missing. or why it would go. unless some spouse thought it was a personal item. how could that be?
number one chambermaid when asked said she thought i removed it .. hasn't seen it in a few weeks. this is not good.
oh dear ... fingers crossed that i locate it. not that i have time right now to go searching.

We've had wine glasses go traveling. I think more often than not it is a case of the person packing doesn't realize they are not theirs because they thought the significant other brought them...or something. We get glass wine glasses at Bed Bath and Beyond for $9.99 /12 glasses so if they go missing it is no big deal. But most of the time we give out the acryllic goblets with are ~$4 a piece. When they go missing we usually send an email mentioning that if they got packed by mistake we'd appreciate seeing them again. They either come back or they send us some money. I always laugh to myself when some snooty guest turns up their nose at the acryllic glass and asks for a glass glass...it makes me laugh to take back the $4 acryllic so I can hand them an 83 cent glass. We mainly use the acryllic to keep the broken glass on the beach to a minimum.

We've had wine glasses go traveling. I think more often than not it is a case of the person packing doesn't realize they are not theirs because they thought the significant other brought them...or something. We get glass wine glasses at Bed Bath and Beyond for $9.99 /12 glasses so if they go missing it is no big deal. But most of the time we give out the acryllic goblets with are ~$4 a piece. When they go missing we usually send an email mentioning that if they got packed by mistake we'd appreciate seeing them again. They either come back or they send us some money. I always laugh to myself when some snooty guest turns up their nose at the acryllic glass and asks for a glass glass...it makes me laugh to take back the $4 acryllic so I can hand them an 83 cent glass. We mainly use the acryllic to keep the broken glass on the beach to a minimum..
swirt said:
We've had wine glasses go traveling. I think more often than not it is a case of the person packing doesn't realize they are not theirs because they thought the significant other brought them...or something. We get glass wine glasses at Bed Bath and Beyond for $9.99 /12 glasses so if they go missing it is no big deal. But most of the time we give out the acryllic goblets with are ~$4 a piece. When they go missing we usually send an email mentioning that if they got packed by mistake we'd appreciate seeing them again. They either come back or they send us some money. I always laugh to myself when some snooty guest turns up their nose at the acryllic glass and asks for a glass glass...it makes me laugh to take back the $4 acryllic so I can hand them an 83 cent glass. We mainly use the acryllic to keep the broken glass on the beach to a minimum.
Found $6.30 on the kitchen counter this afternoon. I don't know who left it, but they took a coffee mug and must have read the sign about how much they sell for. (But they took one from the shelf, a used one, the new ones were right there next to the sign!)

today i noticed a hand knitted afghan is not in the guest room where it should be. have hunted around some ... so far, no luck. i feel a little sad about this as it was a wedding gift. i didn't use it ... i'm not really an afghan person ... but, where could it be? hoping someone carried it down to another room or a chambermaid no longer here packed it away with blankets.
now it's on my mind.
i know, never put out in guest rooms or common rooms what you treasure. it went so well in this particular room .... i just never thought it would go missing. or why it would go. unless some spouse thought it was a personal item. how could that be?
number one chambermaid when asked said she thought i removed it .. hasn't seen it in a few weeks. this is not good.
oh dear ... fingers crossed that i locate it. not that i have time right now to go searching..
update below
regular_smile.gif

seashanty said:
now it's on my mind.
oh dear ... fingers crossed that i locate it. not that i have time right now to go searching.
update: a box arrived from vermont. a bright orange shoe box taped up all strange and i was thinking ... did i buy something from ebay?? inside was the afghan with a note apologizing for packing it up and taking it home accidentally back in july. hurray! sent an email thanking her for the afghan's return
and have put it in my room (lesson learned) whew!
okay - i don't know why this post is ahead of swirt's since i just posted it. i need to figure out how to fix my settings!

I mentioned this theory to another inn-mate on the forum. ONE NIGHTERS are more apt to lift things than multiple night stays.
There is alot to be said about that, but I will just say that.
BEWARE OF ONE NIGHT STAYS

now it's on my mind.
oh dear ... fingers crossed that i locate it. not that i have time right now to go searching..
update below
regular_smile.gif

seashanty said:
now it's on my mind.
update: a box arrived from vermont. a bright orange shoe box taped up all strange and i was thinking ... did i buy something from ebay?? inside was the afghan with a note apologizing for packing it up and taking it home accidentally back in july. hurray! sent an email thanking her for the afghan's return
and have put it in my room (lesson learned) whew!
okay - i don't know why this post is ahead of swirt's since i just posted it. i need to figure out how to fix my settings!
seashanty said:
That happens if you have your comment viewing preferences set to "threaded list" With threaded, items appear directly beneath who the comment you replied to (and indented). So in this case you replied to your own cpmment so the reply went directly beneath that comment. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is a big help in reading old topics (easier to see who is replying to what).
Congratulations on getting the afgan back..that is cool.

Back