When the CF bulbs burn out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score

Wow not a good thing to happen, our downstairs is totally filled with the strong odor of burning plastic and the second guest room just left for the day - I am racing around this house trying to locate what is burning, did they leave a hot iron on the sofa or what?
I am a nutcase bouncing around until I walk into my own bathroom and see one of the two bulbs is out. I leave these on as it is a tomb in there with no windows between two other rooms, so pitch dark if there is no light on. So just an fyi when you smell a strong melted plastic smell - this is it! It is so strong I can TASTE IT. Look out for headaches ahead...oi veigh.

I have never noticed that. We've had 2 of them burn out and never had that smell. Could be the different brands of bulbs.

I too use these type of bulbs and have not smelled this smell you describe. Maybe it is the different brand or how it reacted with your fixture especially since you leave them on all the time. - May I suggest a night light in the bathroom instead of leaving on the light? I use LED nightlights which provides just enough light to find the switch.
Thanks for the heads up though. If I do smell that melted plastic odor, I will start by looking up!

I too use these type of bulbs and have not smelled this smell you describe. Maybe it is the different brand or how it reacted with your fixture especially since you leave them on all the time. - May I suggest a night light in the bathroom instead of leaving on the light? I use LED nightlights which provides just enough light to find the switch.
Thanks for the heads up though. If I do smell that melted plastic odor, I will start by looking up!.
Copperhead said:
Thanks for the heads up though. If I do smell that melted plastic odor, I will start by looking up!
We have a nightlight, I can't walk from the bright kitchen into darkness 150 times a day. It is my cut through to the laundry room, to the guest areas, to my office. I HATE bathrooms with no windows, hate them!

Thanks for the heads up though. If I do smell that melted plastic odor, I will start by looking up!.
Copperhead said:
We do leave these lights on all the time. It's one reason we replaced the old filament bulbs with the CFL's. All of my 'leave on lights' have these bulbs and none of those have burned out. The ones that did burn out were bad from the start, I think. Otherwise, all the others have been going for well over a year.

I have one in the foyer side lamp that has burned out before without such a scene as this one! It still stinks. I haven't taken it out yet, I am worried something else went on in there.

My guess is that you have cause and effect reversed. Probably the bulb did not "burn out" in the traditional sense of the word, but more likely the tranformer in the base malfunctioned created the smell ... which also produced the odor.

My guess is that you have cause and effect reversed. Probably the bulb did not "burn out" in the traditional sense of the word, but more likely the tranformer in the base malfunctioned created the smell ... which also produced the odor..
swirt said:
My guess is that you have cause and effect reversed. Probably the bulb did not "burn out" in the traditional sense of the word, but more likely the tranformer in the base malfunctioned created the smell ... which also produced the odor.
Yes. The only way to describe the bulb not working is 'burned out' like old bulbs. :) It is for sure the transformer, the 'bulb' or 'globe' isn't broken. Still stinks tho.

Here it is - cut n paste this into a browser
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29vjkoi&s=5[/COLOR]
or this one
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]http://i41.tinypic.com/29vjkoi.jpg[/COLOR]

My guess is that you have cause and effect reversed. Probably the bulb did not "burn out" in the traditional sense of the word, but more likely the tranformer in the base malfunctioned created the smell ... which also produced the odor..
swirt said:
Yes. The only way to describe the bulb not working is 'burned out' like old bulbs. :) It is for sure the transformer, the 'bulb' or 'globe' isn't broken. Still stinks tho.
distracted swirt said:
...tranformer in the base malfunctioned created the smell ... which also produced the odor.
Hah...must have been distracted when I wrote this...I sound like some kind of idiot. :(

swirt said:
distracted swirt said:
...tranformer in the base malfunctioned created the smell ... which also produced the odor.
Hah...must have been distracted when I wrote this...I sound like some kind of idiot. :(
swirt said:
distracted swirt said:
Yeah, like when I spent all day cleaning the viruses out of my computer, fixing the stupid obscure dll32 error, installing IE8 and finally taking my computer to the guy who unchecks a box and we're good to go... I swear that box was NOT checked earlier in the day, so one of my 15 fixes must have done it, but it didn't make me look good.
My sister says her computer guys call it an I-D-10-T error.
=)
Kk.

i'd get them out of your house -- immediately. and i wouldn't handle them without gloves. they contain mercury and phosphorus.
i am not an alarmist and i see the value in energy savings, etc. but they worry me a bit.
i am posting a link to an article about disposal of them.

Back