When the cost conscious come a knockin

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I confess that sometimes I find it difficult to diplomatic when clueless people annoy me.
My door bell just rang and I found 2 women on my doorstep inquiring about rates.
I welcome them in and offer them a tour. They refused. They only want to know what my rates are. I tell them they range from $135 to $265 based on the room and the amenities. The rate includes our signature 3 course breakfast and a complimentary bottle of wine in room.
They stare wordlessly at me for a moment.
Oh, says one, we can stay at the Ramada for $75.
Or, you can stay here for $135 minus the bed bugs. Yes I said it.
My rooms would be $75 dollars too, if I didn't clean them either ( no I didn't say that...but I was sure thinking it).
Idjits.

Code:
Same here!  Guy rang our doorbell a few days ago, holding a rack card in his
hand, about 7:00 p.m.  When I answered the door he says 'I may be looking
for a room for tonight.'  Well, that's my first clue - shouldn't you already
know whether you are or you're not?  'What are your rates?' as he's striding
heavily into my hallway
'We have only one room that's still open - it's $150 for the night.'
'$150? I'm looking for a room for $50.' loudly as he's clomping around my
foyer looking in the downstairs rooms.  
'Alright then, I guess I can't help you' opening the door and gesturing him
out. 'There's a C**f**t Inn down the road about 1/2 mile.'
'Will they be cheap?'
'They'll be less expensive than we are.' He stomps back out the front door.
I have to add 'you get what you pay for.'

Wow! We are so lucky to not get much walk in traffic or looky loos.
That must be both frustrating and time consuming.
Sorry to you both.
I don't mind doing a little haggling or discounting if we need the business, but we have our limit on just how low we'll go before feeling insulted.
Kinda went through alot of this in another thread, so not much point in rehashing.

When the words out of their mouths are 'how much' you know then and there you are wasting any more of your time! I have almost come out and said my rates are $$ but there is a DisC**f**T inn about 8 miles away...

Oh, says one, we can stay at the Ramada for $75.

I would have answered, "Sounds like a deal to me you should take it" I wouldn't want her staying with me anyway.

I have guests this week because the [Decent Big Chain Hotel - DBCH] is full this week. Guy who called wanted to know about discounts. I'm thinking, you just told me the DBCH is full, and I should give you a discount? Well, turns out he is visiting [large important well-loved oft-visited major employer of my small city] and the DBCH gives [wonderful firm whose business I'd like to have] a rate of $65 a night. $65/night! Even the government rate here is $70!!
I gave him 10% off, but dh is saying I should match DBCH's prices. I don't think I should match them, but I am pondering how much of a discount is appropriate. It would be nice to get more mid-week business...
To all... do you have a business rate? If so, how did you calculate it?
=)
Kk.

Lest we forget...at one time Motel 6 was six dollars a night! However you slice it... you can not and, IMHO, should not try to compete on price with the DBHC. Our business rate is calculated from OUR rates and is a minor adjustment.
Business at any cost will cost you your business.
Instead, what if you go back to the core strategies that have worked for you in the past and see how they can be applied to the business market. You may be surprised that a certain segment of the business market may be willing to pay more for something the DBCH does not or can not offer. Find out what that is and.... etc etc

I have guests this week because the [Decent Big Chain Hotel - DBCH] is full this week. Guy who called wanted to know about discounts. I'm thinking, you just told me the DBCH is full, and I should give you a discount? Well, turns out he is visiting [large important well-loved oft-visited major employer of my small city] and the DBCH gives [wonderful firm whose business I'd like to have] a rate of $65 a night. $65/night! Even the government rate here is $70!!
I gave him 10% off, but dh is saying I should match DBCH's prices. I don't think I should match them, but I am pondering how much of a discount is appropriate. It would be nice to get more mid-week business...
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I agree with hubby. If everything else is full, at the very least match them. I wouldn't offer a discount unless you need heads in beds.

=)
Kk..
I don't have a business rate, because there is little in the way of business travel in our location. I've had maybe a dozen business travelers in the 6.5 years we've been open.
IF there WERE alot of business to be had from that segment, you can bet I would pursue it. I would offer a $75.00 rate (at my Inn) and a simple continental breakfast, since that segment tends to be up and out early. They leave a very neat room, and sometimes don't even take a shower. The ones I've had have tended to be women, and they always say that they feel safer staying at a B&B. On the plus side of that, they are usually the ones to pick where their next romantic getaway will be.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I agree with hubby. If everything else is full, at the very least match them. I wouldn't offer a discount unless you need heads in beds.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
The regular room rate for our rooms is $110/$120. To match the $65 rate I'd be cutting too far. I told dh this morning I just can't do it.
The guest did tell me that anything over a $100 looks bad on their expense reports. $99 I can do... it's only 10% off which we do for clergy, military, and pretty much any other reason. I'm leaning toward a $95 rate for all three "nice" rooms and $85 for the "small" one... but I want the discount to be substantial enough to actually pull the business.
I agree... business travelers are great.
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
The regular room rate for our rooms is $110/$120. To match the $65 rate I'd be cutting too far. I told dh this morning I just can't do it.
The guest did tell me that anything over a $100 looks bad on their expense reports. $99 I can do... it's only 10% off which we do for clergy, military, and pretty much any other reason. I'm leaning toward a $95 rate for all three "nice" rooms and $85 for the "small" one... but I want the discount to be substantial enough to actually pull the business.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Yikes! I didn't realize it was that much of a cut....you didn't say. In that case, I wouldn't discount at all unless you need the reservation.

When the words out of their mouths are 'how much' you know then and there you are wasting any more of your time! I have almost come out and said my rates are $$ but there is a DisC**f**T inn about 8 miles away....
Copperhead said:
When the words out of their mouths are 'how much' you know then and there you are wasting any more of your time! I have almost come out and said my rates are $$ but there is a DisC**f**T inn about 8 miles away...
The 'how much?' doesn't bother me that much anymore. Lookie lous don't want to waste my time or theirs and they generally have no idea what the prices will be. Many of them have just spent an hour on our main drag thru the state seeing prices in the range of $59-$99 and they want to know if that holds true where they are now, where there are NO prices stated on the street except at the Eco-Lodge, which I understand has one room at the $59 price, all other rooms are much higher.

=)
Kk..
We tried a biz rate but it wasn't low enough. The rate was the lowest priced room in off season, about $115. My friend regularly comes to work here and he can't stay with me because his company gets the hotel rate of $75 if he stays at the airport hotel. No way I am charging $75 given what I already know about him and his buddies when they are here on business!

Lest we forget...at one time Motel 6 was six dollars a night! However you slice it... you can not and, IMHO, should not try to compete on price with the DBHC. Our business rate is calculated from OUR rates and is a minor adjustment.
Instead, what if you go back to the core strategies that have worked for you in the past and see how they can be applied to the business market. You may be surprised that a certain segment of the business market may be willing to pay more for something the DBCH does not or can not offer. Find out what that is and.... etc etc.
knkbnb said:
Instead, what if you go back to the core strategies that have worked for you in the past and see how they can be applied to the business market. You may be surprised that a certain segment of the business market may be willing to pay more for something the DBCH does not or can not offer. Find out what that is and.... etc etc
What we have found with the biz guests who originally booked at our full price is that many of them will ask us to charge their corporate card for the corporate rate and then put the rest on their personal card. Also, they've now been with us long enough to get a discount, so their outlay has gone down, which makes them happy!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Yikes! I didn't realize it was that much of a cut....you didn't say. In that case, I wouldn't discount at all unless you need the reservation.
My rooms are $129 & $95 (shared bath) and the per diem is $70 - and they all want the pvt bath guestroom!

=)
Kk..
I don't have a business rate, because there is little in the way of business travel in our location. I've had maybe a dozen business travelers in the 6.5 years we've been open.
IF there WERE alot of business to be had from that segment, you can bet I would pursue it. I would offer a $75.00 rate (at my Inn) and a simple continental breakfast, since that segment tends to be up and out early. They leave a very neat room, and sometimes don't even take a shower. The ones I've had have tended to be women, and they always say that they feel safer staying at a B&B. On the plus side of that, they are usually the ones to pick where their next romantic getaway will be.
I just love how you find the positive in everything! Keep up the good work!

When the words out of their mouths are 'how much' you know then and there you are wasting any more of your time! I have almost come out and said my rates are $$ but there is a DisC**f**T inn about 8 miles away....
You are so right when they say how much you know it is a lost cause or if they ask what is your cheapest rate. I love it when I tell how much and they say is that per week. They are sometimes shocked when I say that is per night. This mostly happens when they are local.

You are so right when they say how much you know it is a lost cause or if they ask what is your cheapest rate. I love it when I tell how much and they say is that per week. They are sometimes shocked when I say that is per night. This mostly happens when they are local.
sandynn said:
I know. It kills me when folks seem to think we do this for free or cheap. What are we? The YMCA?

There is no way we B&Bs can compete with the chain hotels/motels. Why try?
Be all you can be as a B&B and you'll get the guest willing to pay full price.

Be all you can be as a B&B and you'll get the guest willing to pay full price..
Proud Texan said:
Be all you can be as a B&B and you'll get the guest willing to pay full price.
I agree. Its apples and oranges really.

Back