When the cost conscious come a knockin

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do have a corp/gov rate which is $95 (same as per diem in my area). Sometimes that is too high but usually well within their limits for the trip here. I have been very lucky the last few years to have established a very good business relationship with companies in the area and my mid week business is fairly busy. As others have said, they are usually very tidy, up and out early and not picky about breakfast.

There is no way we B&Bs can compete with the chain hotels/motels. Why try?
Be all you can be as a B&B and you'll get the guest willing to pay full price..
Proud Texan said:
Be all you can be as a B&B and you'll get the guest willing to pay full price.
That can be a localized phenom. I charge half of what the hotels get around here, in season. And the hotels will fill up first. Brand loyalty? Don't want to take a chance? Before the hotel came in downtown, we were full all summer. But guests are willing to pay $300+ with no breakfast for a 'sure thing'. Right now that downtown hotel is still over $200/night, but farther out they are down to $159. By November they will be at $99 and guests will continue to fill them up then because of the lower prices and brand loyalty.

Proud Texan said:
That can be a localized phenom. I charge half of what the hotels get around here, in season. And the hotels will fill up first. Brand loyalty? Don't want to take a chance? Before the hotel came in downtown, we were full all summer. But guests are willing to pay $300+ with no breakfast for a 'sure thing'. Right now that downtown hotel is still over $200/night, but farther out they are down to $159. By November they will be at $99 and guests will continue to fill them up then because of the lower prices and brand loyalty.
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
Maybe you need to raise your prices!
wink_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Bree said:
Perhaps the problem lies with your low prices? The low prices combined with the uncertainty of your establishment can explain why people are willing to pay more to stay at the hotels. If people see that your prices are at par or slightly higher compared to the hotels', they might think that your quality is at least just as good if not better than the hotels' (they all know what to expect at the hotels).

Code:
Same here!  Guy rang our doorbell a few days ago, holding a rack card in his
hand, about 7:00 p.m.  When I answered the door he says 'I may be looking
for a room for tonight.'  Well, that's my first clue - shouldn't you already
know whether you are or you're not?  'What are your rates?' as he's striding
heavily into my hallway
'We have only one room that's still open - it's $150 for the night.'
'$150? I'm looking for a room for $50.' loudly as he's clomping around my
foyer looking in the downstairs rooms.  
'Alright then, I guess I can't help you' opening the door and gesturing him
out. 'There's a C**f**t Inn down the road about 1/2 mile.'
'Will they be cheap?'
'They'll be less expensive than we are.' He stomps back out the front door.
I have to add 'you get what you pay for.'
I don't want anyone to be held hostage by TripAdvisor reviews, but these are the kinds of encounters that I think the disgruntled travelers are looking to take advantage of and then throw it up on the Internet for the world to see even though they didn't stay with you. I would try to be as gracious as possible but suggest the Chamber or Convention and Visitors Bureau for more economical lodging options.

Proud Texan said:
Bree said:
Perhaps the problem lies with your low prices? The low prices combined with the uncertainty of your establishment can explain why people are willing to pay more to stay at the hotels. If people see that your prices are at par or slightly higher compared to the hotels', they might think that your quality is at least just as good if not better than the hotels' (they all know what to expect at the hotels).
I agree. Perception is everything....even my shared bath room started renting more often when I raised the rate on it. People might be asking why themselves why your rates are half what the hotels are charging....probably seeing an unattractive picture in their minds. Bree, don't be afraid to raise your rates, I think you would be very suprised in the increase not only in revenue, but in occupancy.

Back