When the inn has a pet

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting a guest with allergies in a room that has had animals in it is as bad as putting a non-smoker in a smoking room. Unless you have a separate pet-designated room, how can you be sure that it's clean enough for someone with pet allergies? You can't.
I don't care how well behaved dogs are or how clean, they still smell like dog. It's hard enough getting the people smells out of rooms..
I've had pet allergy people in that room...no problems whatsoever. No reactions, no dog smells. If you don't accept pets, then you are simply making assumptions, rather than speaking from experience, right?

Putting a guest with allergies in a room that has had animals in it is as bad as putting a non-smoker in a smoking room. Unless you have a separate pet-designated room, how can you be sure that it's clean enough for someone with pet allergies? You can't.
I don't care how well behaved dogs are or how clean, they still smell like dog. It's hard enough getting the people smells out of rooms..
I've had pet allergy people in that room...no problems whatsoever. No reactions, no dog smells. If you don't accept pets, then you are simply making assumptions, rather than speaking from experience, right?
Little Blue said:
Well, maybe no one went into anaphylactic shock, but you don't know what pills had to be popped in the privacy of their room to not have any problems. We (allergy sufferers) travel with an arsenal of antihistamines.
I'm I making assumptions, yes, but based on the fact that we have owned pets. We are very clean people so the cleanup seemed constant! We were either lint rolling to remove cat hair that the vacuum wouldn't pick up or cleaning up poop and pee and vomit. Dogs just smell. Animals shed. They can't help it, they just do. We loved our pets and that's why we put up with it. I don't have to with others.

Little Blue said:
Well, maybe no one went into anaphylactic shock, but you don't know what pills had to be popped in the privacy of their room to not have any problems. We (allergy sufferers) travel with an arsenal of antihistamines.
I'm I making assumptions, yes, but based on the fact that we have owned pets. We are very clean people so the cleanup seemed constant! We were either lint rolling to remove cat hair that the vacuum wouldn't pick up or cleaning up poop and pee and vomit. Dogs just smell. Animals shed. They can't help it, they just do. We loved our pets and that's why we put up with it. I don't have to with others.
Proud Texan said:
Little Blue said:
Except for a 1.5 year long dog-free period recently ended with the addition of Lola, we've always had dogs here. Like others have stated, we have separate living quarters and none of our dogs ever come in the main house where the guests stay. While the vast majority of our guests seem to be total dog lovers, not all of them are, so we're careful to respect that by not letting any of of our dogs run too freely until we know a guest's comfort level.
We also are constantly cleaning our personal space and would never want to add that to our workload in the main house. Plus, we don't trust people to be any more honest about how "well behaved" their dogs are than the folks we get a funny feeling about how "well-behaved" thier young kids are.
We made an exception once for a neighbor's friend before we officially opened and their damn dog was brought to the dining room for breakfast and literally jumped through the screen in the window to go chase a bunny who was in the front yard.
We've stayed at B&Bs that allow pets and were very "liberal" on where their own pets could go and its always been awful. I see an innkeeper's pet in the kitchen and its a call to the health department right after I check out.
Face it, these are ANIMALS with fur, dander, scents, accidents, etc.. I've had companion animals all of my adult life, and consider myself this close ( finger and thumb about an inch apart) to being a diehard animal welfare activist but would never impose the by products of an animal on guests who even if not allergic, just aren't animal lovers like me in my place of business.

We do get guests asking if there are pet smells. You always know when you've gotten the 'pet' room at a hotel so they worry about it. We limit dogs to one room to cut down on problems and laundry. When we have pets in that room, I change out everything when the pet leaves. I even have different bedding for guests with pets, it washes and dries much more quickly than the heavy weight quilts that I usually use.

I just had a guest review on bb.com exclaim all about how he would never know we have dogs, as the house is amazingly clean and he could not see, hear or smell dog. Guess which room he stayed in??!!
Our dogs do not go into guest areas at all unless someone wants to meet them quickly...and then it's right back out again. I often see guests outside laughing at the two girls both crammed in a narrow window looking out from our living room to the parking area....many guests take their photo and exclaim that they would never have known they were here if they hadn't noticed them peeping out.
My stellar reviews (especially those involving cleanliness) speak for themselves....but I would imagine given how up front we are about being pet friendly and about having our own dogs, pet allergy sufferers or those who just don't like dogs steer clear to begin with....which is just fine with me. This is my niche and I exploit it...we get pets sometimes (and far more pet lovers than pets) and It's certainly working for us.
Like I said, I couldn't care less whether any other Inns anywhere take pets or not, I'm just putting our POV and voice of experience as a pet friendly Inn (and one that has dogs of our own) out there...as requested. Non-pet accepting innkeepers have their own reasons for not taking pets at their Inns, but if you haven't visited our place, then you just have to take mine and my guest's words for it (like any review reader thinking of coming here who might be worried about the dogs).

Little Blue said:
I lived in San Francisco for years with my cat in a two bedroom apartment with a balcony. There was no smell or anything from the cat. My cousin came to visit with his wife who was allergic as a child to pet dander, but they didn't even think about problems staying at my place.
Within one hour her face blew up and they had to sleep on the balcony in their sleeping bags. She had no clue she was still allergic.
Like I said, I love cats and dogs. And I often astound my B&B guests who don't realize I have a Russian Wolfhound stashed in our roomy quarters. They often find out through conversation or see him peering out at them from our loft window while they are walking around and ask to see him.
But not in my guest rooms, although when we still had our cat we saw evidence of "cat sneak in" fur on a white chair once in one suite.
RIki

Little Blue said:
I lived in San Francisco for years with my cat in a two bedroom apartment with a balcony. There was no smell or anything from the cat. My cousin came to visit with his wife who was allergic as a child to pet dander, but they didn't even think about problems staying at my place.
Within one hour her face blew up and they had to sleep on the balcony in their sleeping bags. She had no clue she was still allergic.
Like I said, I love cats and dogs. And I often astound my B&B guests who don't realize I have a Russian Wolfhound stashed in our roomy quarters. They often find out through conversation or see him peering out at them from our loft window while they are walking around and ask to see him.
But not in my guest rooms, although when we still had our cat we saw evidence of "cat sneak in" fur on a white chair once in one suite.
RIki
There is also a world of difference between an apartment that a cat LIVES in and a professionally cleaned B&B guest room that hosts dogs on an short-term occasional basis. No doubt people with pet allergies would have a hard time in our personal space, too.

Little Blue said:
RIki
There is also a world of difference between an apartment that a cat LIVES in and a professionally cleaned B&B guest room that hosts dogs on an short-term occasional basis. No doubt people with pet allergies would have a hard time in our personal space, too.
Little Blue said:
Who the heck do you think cleans the personal space? The same person who "professionally cleans the B&B! You make it sound as if we clean our personal spaces with less vigor than the B&B.

Little Blue said:
RIki
Little Blue said:
Who the heck do you think cleans the personal space? The same person who "professionally cleans the B&B! You make it sound as if we clean our personal spaces with less vigor than the B&B.
Who the heck do you think cleans the personal space? The same person who "professionally cleans the B&B!
Ahhh, not quite. If HE wants it cleaned, he is welcome to do it. I have my hands full already.....

Little Blue said:
RIki
Little Blue said:
Who the heck do you think cleans the personal space? The same person who "professionally cleans the B&B!
Ahhh, not quite. If HE wants it cleaned, he is welcome to do it. I have my hands full already.....
gillumhouse said:
Eeeyew! So, are we talking really nasty and gross personal quarters?
barf.gif
You're really mean making a man on crutches fend for him self.
wink_smile.gif

DW and I both had parents who were hoarders and so both abhor clutter and filth. EVERYTHING around here gets a spit shine. This is also the reason we no longer have pets.

Little Blue said:
I agree about not knowing how sensitive someone with some kind of animal dander allergy can be. I think you have to go with absolutely full disclosure if you accept pets in your rooms and let the guest make the decision about booking there or not.
For instance, if an inn accepted cats, I'd have to totally steer clear. It's impossible to remove all the dander and for some odd reason there are particular breeds of cats that I'm more sensitive to than others. I've not had a problem so far with inns that have innkeeper pet cats on the premises, if they are kept in their quarters. I stayed at a place in Atlanta and the cat was allowed to wander in the common areas downstairs - I was popping some antihistamines but didn't have to use my inhaler. Next time, I'll read more closely or ask if the cat is kept in the owners' area.

Little Blue said:
RIki
Little Blue said:
Dude, I was talking about her apartment in San Francisco where she lived with her cat. And I can only speak for myself....but my personal space at the Inn is NOWHERE NEAR as clean as the guest and common areas. My mom would say it is, but I'm the housekeeper and I know better.

Little Blue said:
RIki
Little Blue said:
Dude, I was talking about her apartment in San Francisco where she lived with her cat. And I can only speak for myself....but my personal space at the Inn is NOWHERE NEAR as clean as the guest and common areas. My mom would say it is, but I'm the housekeeper and I know better.
Little Blue said:
My bad.
embaressed_smile.gif
Should have read more carefully.

Little Blue said:
RIki
Little Blue said:
gillumhouse said:
barf.gif
wink_smile.gif

DW and I both had parents who were hoarders and so both abhor clutter and filth. EVERYTHING around here gets a spit shine. This is also the reason we no longer have pets.
Yep, I am at his beck & call with enough stuff - all the heavy lifting. I do not believe in enabling. After his 6-way, I gave him the first week at home to whine and be "needy" and then it was do it yourself. He can get around on crutches and then in a wheelchair until he goes out feet first. When I start SNEEZING instead of just sneezing, he knows it is time to vac with the snorkle dohickey.
I come from a long line of pack rats (we KNOW that within a couple weeks of throwing it out, we will need it) and DH has all his tools, reloading bench & supplies, matting table, drill press, etc in what should be a sun room and my office, then books on art, motorcycles, guns, history, and now he is gettng into airplanes.... plus his collection of frames, watercolor paper, canvas, easels, drawing table, magazinesm satellite radio, regular radio, TV, ..... in what is supposed to be our living room. My Library is a disaster area again right now since we are back to band rehearsals and the sax case is downstairs until Aug 23 in addition to the stuff that I swear mates and multiplies every night of papers, etc overpflowing the large plastic tub I have been trying to get it into....
DH still has the receipt for the purchase of his 1960 BSA Gold Star racing bike - the one he crashed on Feb 1, 1964 and left the hospital from on Jan 31, 1965.

Proud Texan said:
It's hard enough getting the people smells out of rooms.
Ha! I am on my third washer load of shams, quilts and bedspreads that my housekeeper brought down today because they smelled funny.
Did you have some clowns staying with you?? :)

Little Blue said:
RIki
Little Blue said:
gillumhouse said:
barf.gif
wink_smile.gif

Yep, I am at his beck & call with enough stuff - all the heavy lifting. I do not believe in enabling. After his 6-way, I gave him the first week at home to whine and be "needy" and then it was do it yourself. He can get around on crutches and then in a wheelchair until he goes out feet first. When I start SNEEZING instead of just sneezing, he knows it is time to vac with the snorkle dohickey.
I come from a long line of pack rats (we KNOW that within a couple weeks of throwing it out, we will need it) and DH has all his tools, reloading bench & supplies, matting table, drill press, etc in what should be a sun room and my office, then books on art, motorcycles, guns, history, and now he is gettng into airplanes.... plus his collection of frames, watercolor paper, canvas, easels, drawing table, magazinesm satellite radio, regular radio, TV, ..... in what is supposed to be our living room. My Library is a disaster area again right now since we are back to band rehearsals and the sax case is downstairs until Aug 23 in addition to the stuff that I swear mates and multiplies every night of papers, etc overpflowing the large plastic tub I have been trying to get it into....
DH still has the receipt for the purchase of his 1960 BSA Gold Star racing bike - the one he crashed on Feb 1, 1964 and left the hospital from on Jan 31, 1965.
gillumhouse said:
Okay I needed a good chuckle, thank you. Not the getting hurt part, but the receipt part.
If anything sits around here for more than 24hours it goes by by. I am insane about it, and OCD is fairly close. I watched a program on OCD the other night and looked over and S.O. was shaking his head "Yes, you have it" one way to keep the clutter away...live with me.

True but funny/not funny story about PETS..............a guest stayed here months ago then wrote Trip Advisor about our place.....bla.bla..bla.. then comments about he can tell we allow pets as he can smell a slight pet order. Guess what that Inn suite he was in has never had a pet in it (only the Cottage) ....but it has 2 pictures (1 oil .1 print) of DOGS ....the power of suggestion !!!!..Mary in Bridgewater , Va.

True but funny/not funny story about PETS..............a guest stayed here months ago then wrote Trip Advisor about our place.....bla.bla..bla.. then comments about he can tell we allow pets as he can smell a slight pet order. Guess what that Inn suite he was in has never had a pet in it (only the Cottage) ....but it has 2 pictures (1 oil .1 print) of DOGS ....the power of suggestion !!!!..Mary in Bridgewater , Va..
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
True but funny/not funny story about PETS..............a guest stayed here months ago then wrote Trip Advisor about our place.....bla.bla..bla.. then comments about he can tell we allow pets as he can smell a slight pet order. Guess what that Inn suite he was in has never had a pet in it (only the Cottage) ....but it has 2 pictures (1 oil .1 print) of DOGS ....the power of suggestion !!!!..Mary in Bridgewater , Va.
Were they playing poker?
smileystooges.gif

Little Blue said:
RIki
Little Blue said:
gillumhouse said:
barf.gif
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
Okay I needed a good chuckle, thank you. Not the getting hurt part, but the receipt part.
If anything sits around here for more than 24hours it goes by by. I am insane about it, and OCD is fairly close. I watched a program on OCD the other night and looked over and S.O. was shaking his head "Yes, you have it" one way to keep the clutter away...live with me.
If it is only a month old it is new!
When you are on City Council/Committees/etc you get "gun shy" about throwing things away. I always wanted to have proof if I had to defend myself... When I started the decrapify in January, I was quite proud of myself. I took 5 bags out to the trash and shredded checks & receipts from prior to 2000!

Little Blue said:
RIki
Little Blue said:
gillumhouse said:
barf.gif
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
There is no telling what's in the boxes in the garage here or some in the den. I'd like to put it all by the curb for the trash but my dh says that I'd be destroying his "memories". I rather live with someone who likes to throw receipts and that kind of stuff away than deal with a paper collector. It's a burden.... haha! Thus the invention of the de-crapification term. :)

Back