When the innkeeper is sick

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, I have been fighting a neurological disease for 3 weeks now. I'm in constant pain that is not eased with normal 'aspirin-type' meds. I have no symptoms visible to guests. But, I have the attention span of a gnat and zero tolerance for any rannygazoo. I cannot meet and greet guests, can't do breakfast service, no guest-facing, in-person tasks. If I'm out in the inn and someone comes back I have to leave the room. I just cannot focus and I don't want people touching me.
Everyone has been wonderful to Gomez. No one giving him grief because he's running everything himself. I can do meal planning, but I don't have the energy to cook. Gomez has gotten several really good reviews and he's had some wonderful chats with guests while he cooks. We are limiting our reservations right now and only taking 3-4 rooms so he can cope.
I'm ok to do online reservations, answer the phone, stuff like that. Today, tho, we had a caller who 'spoke with someone else last week' about a reservation. Oh, good, they know everything and are just calling back to reserve. Oh, I wish. Caller went on for 20 minutes at which point I was 2 seconds away from just bursting into tears because I was in such pain and this person 'just wanted to go over everything one more time.' For the love of all that is holy, please pick the room in advance, read the room descriptions online, or at the very least LISTEN and write down what I'm telling you 15 times so I can get off the damn phone and lie down.
It's possible I will have this for years to come. Or, it could go away tomorrow. Other than the pain and sleepiness, I've never felt better! All my other aches and pains are gone. Or, possibly, the new pain is stronger. ;-)

Sorry to hear that! Yes, stronger pains can make the lesser ones seem to disappear. Hope time and the medical community can bring you some relief. Regular life is hard enough without this kind of thing!

Oh Mort, I am so sorry to hear this. I will ask the SOSK to get on the case. They seem to be on the right wave-length for a lot of things. Trust me, they ARE the heavy hitters. May you return to your normal self very soon.

Been there as I just wrote in my last post. Though it was not a disease I could not function. I know this will be unsolicited advice, and I know I don't have the whole picture, but if it was not for acupuncture I would not be healed today. Nothing helped except for 3 visits to a master acupuncturist. He has been in practice for 35 years, and 3 other major injuries I got myself into. Just a thought to consider......and why don't they listen when you give them tours of the inn as well and instead call you in the night to ask you something you went over with them?
Be well #selfcare

Been there as I just wrote in my last post. Though it was not a disease I could not function. I know this will be unsolicited advice, and I know I don't have the whole picture, but if it was not for acupuncture I would not be healed today. Nothing helped except for 3 visits to a master acupuncturist. He has been in practice for 35 years, and 3 other major injuries I got myself into. Just a thought to consider......and why don't they listen when you give them tours of the inn as well and instead call you in the night to ask you something you went over with them?
Be well #selfcare.
Acupuncture is one of my options. I am looking into finding someone. Thanks!

I’m so sorry! It sounds so frustrating and pain is so exhausting. I wish I could help out. You know you have friends here. And remember the best way to end a conversation in an Inn, “Oh! Muffins in the oven! Gotta run!”

Be well #selfcare.
Mort - 3 of the SOSK have asked me to tell you that you are in their prayers.

Be well #selfcare.
gillumhouse said:
Thanks. I know they helped my mom years ago.

I’m so sorry! It sounds so frustrating and pain is so exhausting. I wish I could help out. You know you have friends here. And remember the best way to end a conversation in an Inn, “Oh! Muffins in the oven! Gotta run!”.
Luckily this is not peak season! By next week we'll have days at a time off so that will help.

Luckily there has only been one time I woke up and thought, oh dear this is not good. I had ran myself down after a busy spell but had one single lady that morning to get thru breakfast. I some how managed to feed her without her knowing a thing. Once she exited the Inn I was in the bed within seconds and stayed there all day.
Nothing compared to what you are going thru though.
Thankfully you have Gomez.
All hope you are feeling better very soon.

Sweet Morticia, I’m so sorry to hear this.
keeping you in my thoughts ...
heart.gif

Oh my, sorry to hear this. Hope it is curable and not something that you just have to live with. Just in case it might help I’ll recommend a test for Lyme disease. Neurological complications are not uncommon, and down here ticks abound.

Oh my, sorry to hear this. Hope it is curable and not something that you just have to live with. Just in case it might help I’ll recommend a test for Lyme disease. Neurological complications are not uncommon, and down here ticks abound..
Not Lyme. Dr checked for that first thing. Good thing, too, my mom suffered from that for years.

Oh my, sorry to hear this. Hope it is curable and not something that you just have to live with. Just in case it might help I’ll recommend a test for Lyme disease. Neurological complications are not uncommon, and down here ticks abound..
Not Lyme. Dr checked for that first thing. Good thing, too, my mom suffered from that for years.
Do not want to be a Debbie Downer but have they checked for Lupus. I knew about that because my cousin's wife had it. When a friend was not able to find what the problem was after many tests, I suggested the Lupus check. It was it.

Very sorry to hear! Glad you have back up, hopefully you'll be soon recovered.

I sure hope you get to feeling better. It's one thing when you have a job that has disability insurance, but small business owners are just hung out there.

I sure hope you get to feeling better. It's one thing when you have a job that has disability insurance, but small business owners are just hung out there..
ChrisandShelley said:
I sure hope you get to feeling better. It's one thing when you have a job that has disability insurance, but small business owners are just hung out there.
It's now almost 2 months. I still haven't 'gone to work.' Gomez and Lurch have been doing everything. It took me a week to do last weekend's laundry.
I've tried everything the Dr gave me. Nothing works. I'm trying OTC stuff and eye of newt now.

Back