When the innkeeper makes the arrangements and the guest defaults

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We offer a service to our guests that involves a third party. We pay for the service and we make the arrangements (to avoid confusion). The problem- the guests failed to show for the appt on the date arranged because they made their rez here for the wrong date.
When I finally got that sorted out with the guest I made a second arrangement for the corrected date. (After the service provider called me to ask if I knew where the guest was.)
We got the bill today for the service and they charged us only for the date the service was actually used even tho they were waiting for the guest (and could not take anyone else) on the date the guest didn't show.
I am inclined to pay the provider also for the date the guest didn't show up as a show of good faith. What do you think?

I know you feel bad about it, but I wouldn't pay them. They chose to accept the 1 payment because they appreciate the referrals you send.I would probably send them a nice card or e-mail thanking them. If they're local, you might want to drop in with some baked items and your card. It was the guest's fault and not yours.

I disagree - to me it is like a no-show same as with us. I do not know who/what the 3rd party arrangements was with but I personally would feel obligated to pay at least a "cancel fee" if not the whole amount.
With my horse confirmations in the winter, my cancel policy is that IF weather conditions on either end make travel unsafe, only the stable fee will be charged to their account as I cannot afford to lose my stabling privileges. IF this arrangement is beneficial enough (brings guests), I would definitely pay at least a token for good faith reasons - especially if they are small like us.

It depends on what the service they provided was. Would be my answer.
Was it a massage? Or a hair cut? Or was it a mountain bike or fishing guide? It all depends. Cost may help me decide as well, was it $40 or $300?

I have had the same issue and I felt that they did not charge me because I provided them lots of business AND they had the opportunity to refill the slots when the people did not show. But one employee did give me the what for on the phone, so the owner could also have been embarrassed by his employee's lack of tact with another business.
Given the fact they did fill the tour, I did not feel obligated and did not pay them. In your case they were unable to recoup the $ due to this. I would at least give the them a tip for the trouble. And when you do, talk to them about this, explain what happened and say you hope it never happens again but that maybe a policy should be in place. - If they do put one in place, have that policy passed on to the guest if they fail to show. Some people, as we know, are totally inconsiderate.
As for me, I stopped being the middle man with this tour. I now offer this tour as a 'money saver' in our confirmation. They are provided the list of money savers along with phone numbers and my discount code and they book their own tours and provide THEIR CC's. Saves me the hassle on both ends of the reservation.

Was it a massage? Or a hair cut? Or was it a mountain bike or fishing guide? It all depends. Cost may help me decide as well, was it $40 or $300?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Was it a massage? Or a hair cut? Or was it a mountain bike or fishing guide? It all depends. Cost may help me decide as well, was it $40 or $300?
Actually it was way lower than your lowest guess. If it was something like a guide who lost a day's work, we would have (the guide & I) worked out the cancellation details in advance. (Like I do with the kayaking trips I arrange. Guest's cc is used for that and THEY are totally on the hook unless the kayaking guide wants to let them off.)
So, I am not going to be out big bucks at all. Really little bucks is what it comes down to. Big bucks I would have required the guest be on the hook.

I have had the same issue and I felt that they did not charge me because I provided them lots of business AND they had the opportunity to refill the slots when the people did not show. But one employee did give me the what for on the phone, so the owner could also have been embarrassed by his employee's lack of tact with another business.
Given the fact they did fill the tour, I did not feel obligated and did not pay them. In your case they were unable to recoup the $ due to this. I would at least give the them a tip for the trouble. And when you do, talk to them about this, explain what happened and say you hope it never happens again but that maybe a policy should be in place. - If they do put one in place, have that policy passed on to the guest if they fail to show. Some people, as we know, are totally inconsiderate.
As for me, I stopped being the middle man with this tour. I now offer this tour as a 'money saver' in our confirmation. They are provided the list of money savers along with phone numbers and my discount code and they book their own tours and provide THEIR CC's. Saves me the hassle on both ends of the reservation..
I explained the situation when I called to resched. The operator totally understood, sort of. He was (I could imagine) shaking his head over the silliness of the guest.
I try not to do any 3rd party arrangements just to avoid this sort of thing.

If you are paying for services at the guest request, then you should charge their credit card with a stipulation that the charge is non-refundable. This protects you, the service vendor and forces the guest to actually think about the purchase before committing to it.
We do this with our wedding vendors. Works for us.

Back