When there is a negative about your location -

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
I just returned from a quick trip and stayed at a nice B&B. Very nice place and very nice inkeepers with one major problem - for me at least - a very active set (multiple sets) of train tracks RIGHT behind the property - about 200 -250 feet from the house. And when I say active I mean active, while laying awake from 3:15-4:something AM, I counted 5 trains going through. DH was asleep for some of these but he had counted several during his overnight wakened hours. It was not just the train noise, it rattled the house as well. I was so happy to return home to my quiet bed.
While we all have something that some consider as disturbing, things we have no control of - for me I have had complaints of it being "too quiet" or "those frogs are too loud".
So, how do (or would) you handle a negative about your location in your marketing - or would you address it at all?

Yikes!
The obv would be to make it a train lovers B&B, 100%. It would totally disturb me as a guest but having train memorabilia all around I would suck it up and enjoy the theme.
We had guests tell us of a place like this a couple weeks ago, maybe the same place, said it was like the Lucy episode with house shuttering and furniture rocking around.

Sounds like someone I know EXACTLY. They do market to Train lovers.....the place took forever to sale and now it is back on the market:-( So that tells you something right there...Maybe??? I stayed one night and never slept a wink!
This is also a problem in our town. The train goes right through here in the Valley..THere is no escaping it. You can sometimes hear it from our house even though we are about 2 miles from the track.
There is a B & B in town right beside the tracks and the fire station!!!! YIKES..a marketing nightmare :-(

Yikes!
The obv would be to make it a train lovers B&B, 100%. It would totally disturb me as a guest but having train memorabilia all around I would suck it up and enjoy the theme.
We had guests tell us of a place like this a couple weeks ago, maybe the same place, said it was like the Lucy episode with house shuttering and furniture rocking around..
We had guests tell us of a place like this a couple weeks ago, maybe the same place, said it was like the Lucy episode with house shuttering and furniture rocking around.
Edited...took out VA city :-(

Evasion.
wink_smile.gif
Where we are is on a fairly busy street. But only during the day. However many people know the street by its interstate number. We call it by it's local name and when they get here they're surprised it's quiet. It's one of those roads that's an interstate highway near big cities, but when you get out far enough, it's just a little town road. 20 minutes from here it's a 6 lane highway!
When guests nail us down we tell them the street and the highway are one and the same. Then we do a song and dance to explain there is limited traffic at night and very little truck traffic. Then we tell them which are the quieter rooms. But quiet is relative.

We have one here in WV that is across the road from tracks. She advertises in Railroad publications adn plays it up to the hilt! She also gets the ATV traffic.
My house belonged to the B & O Station agent and the train that WAS about 50 feet from the house was probably music to his ears (actually I bet he never heard it) but if it was still here, I would not be.
I have an access road from the Interstate that the City hates and keeps calling a "horrible road" but I am FINALLY getting some in the City government to refer to it properly. It is a "scenic winding road that follows a meandering creek..." What you do is let people know it is there but turn it into lemonade. We take you back to the old days of transportation - the days of the rails.

I'll get a few comments about train horns, and the rail line is 3 miles away! It is so quiet here and the sound is so recognizable that you can hear it clearly across the valley in the early morning calm. This morning one room was woken by the gobbling of wild turkeys (I set them off :)) , but they thought is was cool.
If I was in a high noise location, I would triple glaze the windows and double rock the walls. Guests do not like to hear that. See movie My Cousin Vinny.

I have those train horns on this boat. :) Kahlenberg horns are the best!! They will blow you out of your shoes! Despite the fact that I know the blow is coming, I still get suprised by them. I can't tell you how many times, I've been handling lines, throwing the last one off at the bow, when the captain gives three blasts to indicate he is backing. Still scares the crap out of me every time.
Anyway...back to the topic...fortunately, we don't have any offensive noises here, except the occasional creaking dockline during a very windy night. We have had two dead bodies float up behind us this year, but we can't help what the tide brings in - this is a very nice neighborhood.
If anything it's too quiet here now that we've been able to turn off the air conditioning. I'm have to learn to sleep in the quiet again. All those little noises like fish munching on crud on the bottom of the boat, water occasionally lapping on the hullside, etc. annoy the crap out of me.
But, oh I LOVE those horns!!!

We have coal trains that come through (not that close) but close enough to hear the whistles and we love them, that is ONE THING I WILL MISS the guts out of when we move from this B&B in town. We love those trains, adore them!
So if any guest ever has a negative comment I just blow it off, phewy, not worth listening to, they are great! (Not the shake rattle and roll that CH is speaking about tho)

I have those train horns on this boat. :) Kahlenberg horns are the best!! They will blow you out of your shoes! Despite the fact that I know the blow is coming, I still get suprised by them. I can't tell you how many times, I've been handling lines, throwing the last one off at the bow, when the captain gives three blasts to indicate he is backing. Still scares the crap out of me every time.
Anyway...back to the topic...fortunately, we don't have any offensive noises here, except the occasional creaking dockline during a very windy night. We have had two dead bodies float up behind us this year, but we can't help what the tide brings in - this is a very nice neighborhood.
If anything it's too quiet here now that we've been able to turn off the air conditioning. I'm have to learn to sleep in the quiet again. All those little noises like fish munching on crud on the bottom of the boat, water occasionally lapping on the hullside, etc. annoy the crap out of me.
But, oh I LOVE those horns!!!.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
We have had two dead bodies float up behind us this year, but we can't help what the tide brings in - this is a very nice neighborhood.
omg_smile.gif

But, oh I LOVE those horns!!!.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
We have had two dead bodies float up behind us this year, but we can't help what the tide brings in -
WHOA!
confused_smile.gif

Back