When they don't show (and then they DO show)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I feel my face getting hot.
Yesterday was the 4th of July and the 4pm check in was 8pm. Yeah? Shot my day to
potty-mouth.gif

Now they do not show for breakfast, I busted my butt to get their room ready after a mass checkout, and got up early and no show. I will leave the table set for tomorrow then dang it! I will go remove the cold items now.
This is why innkeepers get grouchy, wonder why people? This is why. I am ready to go ballistic. Quietly of course...bye

They showed at 10am.
I had cleared most of the table and left settings for tomorrow's breakfast. I asked "Are you here for breakfast?" They said Yeah. I said, "You know it was at 9am?" Yeah, we overslept. "I could have slept in too." and then served them. With a smile. If I get a bad review y'all will know why, because I dare to say something about a couple showing up an hour late for breakfast. An hour late is an HOUR of my day, I could be cleaning rooms or doing something, other than sitting here waiting...
Sorry to complain, it just irritates me when people are insensitive.

They showed at 10am.
I had cleared most of the table and left settings for tomorrow's breakfast. I asked "Are you here for breakfast?" They said Yeah. I said, "You know it was at 9am?" Yeah, we overslept. "I could have slept in too." and then served them. With a smile. If I get a bad review y'all will know why, because I dare to say something about a couple showing up an hour late for breakfast. An hour late is an HOUR of my day, I could be cleaning rooms or doing something, other than sitting here waiting...
Sorry to complain, it just irritates me when people are insensitive..
By 10 AM the kitchen is cleaned, the lights are off and we're nowhere to be found. Most of the time. Even if we're still picking up we're not starting breakfast all over. They could have their fruit course which is made up and cereal and coffee.

Yeah, we wait maybe 10 minutes past the end time, and then it's over Johnny. I'm glad you said something.
Frequent repeat guests got here last Thursday, 45 minutes after regular check-in time. Me: "Oh, I was so worried about you guys, the traffic must have been terrible" (because they drive from several states away and usually arrive around 3 pm). Them: "Oh, we got here this afternoon, had some time to shop and grab dinner." I admonished them thoroughly "Wow, we've been starving and waiting to go have dinner for the last 45 minutes! You guys know better". If they didn't like it tough.

Wow, JB. You're a better woman than I. By then, they could have had a sweet roll and made themselves a cup of coffee. No plated breakfast by that time in this house.

Wow, JB. You're a better woman than I. By then, they could have had a sweet roll and made themselves a cup of coffee. No plated breakfast by that time in this house..
Red Handed Jill said:
Wow, JB. You're a better woman than I. By then, they could have had a sweet roll and made themselves a cup of coffee. No plated breakfast by that time in this house.
Picture the scene - had a full active house all weekend, then on the 4th we have ONE room. So today I had it all ready to roll for them, and was making pecan pancakes (bacon was already cooked, fruit was already plated, fruit course was done and I put it back in the fridge) etc etc. So I decided better use up this pancake mix...I had the pecans all chopped etc. I make the pancakes and just as I flip them they arrive. So I told them "Good thing you showed up I was about to eat your thick sliced bacon and pecan pancakes."
So they knew. They don't care. Like most people, who cares, we paid for the room.
You know how it is, after a full 4 day weekend worth of people not giving a rip... Yesterday we had the same couple who thinks breakfast is 40 minutes later than it is show up to a full table (they were told to sign up and they didn't). I HATE BABYSITTING! Don't you?

Really, if people want to act like they're at some big hotel, where no one cares what time they get there, if they do at all, or what time they eat breakfast (cuz there's someone there to wait on them 24/7), then GO to a hotel...do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Just go and get out of my clean house!

They showed at 10am.
You have a right to complain - breakfast is at 9am! And usually having just one couple is so much fun and relaxing and you feel like you can spend more time visiting with them, etc. You probably just wanted them to eat and get out!
What I don't understand is the B&B's that have the breakfast from 8-10 (show up anytime). So, I have to be up in time to serve breakfast at 8am, but they may all "sleep in" and like you said - "I could have slept in too!" There are some owners out there that do it to themselves and I have never understood that philosophy myself. It doesn't help that I like my food hot and fresh and don't understand people that don't.

They showed at 10am.
You have a right to complain - breakfast is at 9am! And usually having just one couple is so much fun and relaxing and you feel like you can spend more time visiting with them, etc. You probably just wanted them to eat and get out!
What I don't understand is the B&B's that have the breakfast from 8-10 (show up anytime). So, I have to be up in time to serve breakfast at 8am, but they may all "sleep in" and like you said - "I could have slept in too!" There are some owners out there that do it to themselves and I have never understood that philosophy myself. It doesn't help that I like my food hot and fresh and don't understand people that don't.
We do the 8-9:30, come when you want seating. If it is one room we'll ask when they want to eat because, yeah, I might like to sleep in, too. Otherwise, we're generally good to go at 7:45 and may just start early if enough guests are milling around.
True, there are mornings (usually Sunday) when no one makes an appearance until 9 and then they want to stand around and chat. No, sorry, breakfast ends at 9:30 and if you (all 14 of you) want to get breakfast, you have to sit down. NOW.
Unfortunately too many of them do not get it at all. And they are peeved we won't ignore 12 other guests to tell them the story of why we're doing this. Amazingly, I am perfectly capable of telling that story WHILE I am serving your food. And everyone else's.
And then some of the guests have struck up friendship with the other guests so they want to wait so they can talk to them over breakfast. Which gets annoying when the other guests are a party of 8 and I'm going to be slammed when they all show up and want to eat together.
The 'wise' ones show up at 7:30 when they have the cook all to themselves and he'll happily chat with them.

I'm just wondering......
would it be at all helpfull if on the first morning after they had arrived the afternoon, evening before.......if one was to suggest......
"Breakfast is at 9am. After all that driving you did to get here, you may over sleep. Would you want a wake up knock on the door at 8am ? "
Can't expect them to set the alarm ?

I'm just wondering......
would it be at all helpfull if on the first morning after they had arrived the afternoon, evening before.......if one was to suggest......
"Breakfast is at 9am. After all that driving you did to get here, you may over sleep. Would you want a wake up knock on the door at 8am ? "
Can't expect them to set the alarm ?.
One Day said:
I'm just wondering......
I want you to imagine yourself in the guest room and you've decided to skip breakfast because something better is going on in the room. And now someone knocks on the door to remind you breakfast is at 9 AM. What do you do? Explain you won't be making it to breakfast, ignore the knocking or just rush what you were planning to take your time doing?
I don't think any of us A) have the time to run up and knock on doors while we're prepping breakfast; B) have the desire to interrupt guests; C) want to treat our guests like they're recalcitrant children.
I certainly don't even like going to check the mail out the front door when I know guests are in their rooms. I don't want them to think I'm spying on them!

I'm just wondering......
One Day said:
I'm just wondering......
I want you to imagine yourself in the guest room and you've decided to skip breakfast because something better is going on in the room. And now someone knocks on the door to remind you breakfast is at 9 AM. What do you do? Explain you won't be making it to breakfast, ignore the knocking or just rush what you were planning to take your time doing?
I don't think any of us A) have the time to run up and knock on doors while we're prepping breakfast; B) have the desire to interrupt guests; C) want to treat our guests like they're recalcitrant children.
I certainly don't even like going to check the mail out the front door when I know guests are in their rooms. I don't want them to think I'm spying on them!
personaly....
If I had driven several hours.......or flew for hours and drove a few to get to your place.....the likelyhood of over sleeping the next morning is pretty good...........if you offered to knock on my door......I'd definitely take you up on it.

I'm just wondering......
One Day said:
I'm just wondering......
????? Presumably these are adults, who have already CHOSEN a breakfast time of 9 AM. No one should be knocking on doors or trying to divine what the guests' behavior *might* be.
Good grief, we are not baby sitters. You set a time, they don't show, they don't eat. Happens all the time here, have a cup of coffee and buh-bye.

I'm just wondering......
One Day said:
I'm just wondering......
personaly....
If I had driven several hours.......or flew for hours and drove a few to get to your place.....the likelyhood of over sleeping the next morning is pretty good...........if you offered to knock on my door......I'd definitely take you up on it.
I've had a few guests tell me that they've stayed places that crank the house music up at 7:30-8 AM to insure no one has a chance to sleep in. These were not happy comments.
We provide alarm clocks and most guests use the alarms on their cellphones or watches to wake themselves up.
Yes, it is annoying for us when guests skip breakfast, but that's maybe one couple/month. Imagine the animosity if I woke up 100 couples/month!
Now, if a late arriving guest is going to oversleep there is no way I am going to be able to offer a wake-up knock as I won't even see the guest, I'll be asleep myself when they arrive.
Breakfast is an option, it is not a requirement. However, if it is an ongoing issue when the innkeeper has asked what time the guest would like breakfast and the guests don't show, the innkeeper can ask during check in if the guest would like a wake-up call on their cellphone. Rather than knocking on the doors.
It can be hard to tell WHICH door is being knocked on in these old houses and I wouldn't want panicked guests thinking something was wrong.
Still, with everything else I have to do in the morning, I really don't want to be someone's nanny, too.
(Of course, when I had to get up at 6AM to make a 9AM flight and, after being awake all night afraid I hadn't set the alarm properly, I promptly went to sleep as soon as the alarm went off, I was very happy the innkeeper woke me up to tell me to get my butt in gear!)

I'm just wondering......
One Day said:
I'm just wondering......
personaly....
I've had a few guests tell me that they've stayed places that crank the house music up at 7:30-8 AM to insure no one has a chance to sleep in. These were not happy comments.
We provide alarm clocks and most guests use the alarms on their cellphones or watches to wake themselves up.
Yes, it is annoying for us when guests skip breakfast, but that's maybe one couple/month. Imagine the animosity if I woke up 100 couples/month!
Now, if a late arriving guest is going to oversleep there is no way I am going to be able to offer a wake-up knock as I won't even see the guest, I'll be asleep myself when they arrive.
Breakfast is an option, it is not a requirement. However, if it is an ongoing issue when the innkeeper has asked what time the guest would like breakfast and the guests don't show, the innkeeper can ask during check in if the guest would like a wake-up call on their cellphone. Rather than knocking on the doors.
It can be hard to tell WHICH door is being knocked on in these old houses and I wouldn't want panicked guests thinking something was wrong.
Still, with everything else I have to do in the morning, I really don't want to be someone's nanny, too.
(Of course, when I had to get up at 6AM to make a 9AM flight and, after being awake all night afraid I hadn't set the alarm properly, I promptly went to sleep as soon as the alarm went off, I was very happy the innkeeper woke me up to tell me to get my butt in gear!)
Had a couple today who asked us to do a morning call which is fair enough but I wouldn't unless asked.

I have called the cell phone of a guest who is also a friend to make sure she was up - called because I was too lazy to climb the stairs.

I'm just wondering......
One Day said:
I'm just wondering......
or D) I AIN'T YOUR MAMA! You got yourself here, you can show up or not to eat. The little note to please let us know if you cannot make breakfast is a moot point, it simply doesn't work for people who have the whole world revolving around them.
One day, as a side note, you hear us gripe about this here so often and it makes no sense until you are doing this same breakfast thing every day for weeks or months on end. We understand stuff happens, but let us know, we are the one making your breakfast. Or as one innkeeper says "Don't piss off the one cooking your food"

I'm just wondering......
One Day said:
I'm just wondering......
I don't even want to respond One Day> I need to meet you in person, give you a hug then we can laugh all this off.
These people WERE TOLD, it does not matter what you tell people, a sign on the table, a note IN THEIR HAND, and of course two confirmations in advance. Doesn't matter. Some people are late wherever they go and in fact think an hour late for breakfats is EARLY!
Heck if you are this sort of person I will even deliver breakfast to your room! No worries sport, bring it on! :)
PS I did call their cell phone, which I don't like to do either, I hate it. I won't knock on anyone's door. There seems to be lines of privacy and rudeness and respect that are crossed if I THE INNKEEPER WHO IS MAKING YORU FOOD has to go totally out of the kitchen to go and FIND YOU AND COLLECT YOU for your breakfast that you know totally in advance when it is served.

Back