When they just can't help meddling grrr!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
room 10 came down this morning (they are a really nice family she is here for a women's empowerment conference so the daughter and dad are having fun doing local activities) "My toilet wasn't flushing very strongly" he says "so I took the lid off to have a look and while I was meddling with it the ballcock came off in my hand"
Just wanted to scream in the middle of the breakfast room "this is not your house! this not your toilet! if you have a problem you tell me and I will have it dealt with!" So got the handy man out while he had a window (he is working for my neighbour at the moment but had nothing to do while carpet was being fitted) and luckily we hadn't taken the old toilet to the tip we had taken out of room 8 so could cannibalise parts but just a pain in the arse!

Kinda like the guest who took the portable CD player from the living room into their room without telling me, I thought it was stolen (not to mention the fact that all TV's have a built in CD/DVD player ...)
When I get down to doing my guest directories (yes awful that I never have) they will say "I don't move around furniture in your house, please don't move it around in mine"

I find grabbing by the head and shaking works wonders! I think part of the trouble is they are so nice. If they were PITA's I would charge without blinking!

We have a surprising number of guests who hallucinate about plumbing problems. They apologetically mention something wrong with the toilet, but when we tidy the room, everything seems to function just fine. Then they thank me at happy hour for fixing the problem.
Notwithstanding that, we have a lot of plumbing problems, and every time a new one crops up, I get to learn something new. Most recently, after a spate of 30-below days, we had the sewer line freeze up. Now, I have dealt with a lot of frozen pipes in my life, but I've never had the drains freeze solid. There's something unnatural about the very concept. Anyway, I rented a "hot water jetter" from the local rental place, hooked it up to the closest hot water tank (after flushing the sediment out), and broke through the ice clog in the line. Miraculously, it cleared the drain in minutes. I felt like a god. Finally, something that worked. I wanted to take a Victory Lap around the lodge waving a plunger, but Julie set me to cleaning up the mess from the backups instead.
If I screw my life up royally and end up getting sent to Hell as a result, I'm pretty sure Satan's gonna make me a plumber.
--Tom

We have a surprising number of guests who hallucinate about plumbing problems. They apologetically mention something wrong with the toilet, but when we tidy the room, everything seems to function just fine. Then they thank me at happy hour for fixing the problem.
Notwithstanding that, we have a lot of plumbing problems, and every time a new one crops up, I get to learn something new. Most recently, after a spate of 30-below days, we had the sewer line freeze up. Now, I have dealt with a lot of frozen pipes in my life, but I've never had the drains freeze solid. There's something unnatural about the very concept. Anyway, I rented a "hot water jetter" from the local rental place, hooked it up to the closest hot water tank (after flushing the sediment out), and broke through the ice clog in the line. Miraculously, it cleared the drain in minutes. I felt like a god. Finally, something that worked. I wanted to take a Victory Lap around the lodge waving a plunger, but Julie set me to cleaning up the mess from the backups instead.
If I screw my life up royally and end up getting sent to Hell as a result, I'm pretty sure Satan's gonna make me a plumber.
--Tom.
Tom,....I like your humor . All long lasting Innkeepers seem to be this way. Better to chuckle than cry.
wink_smile.gif
Mary in Bwater.

Kinda like the guest who took the portable CD player from the living room into their room without telling me, I thought it was stolen (not to mention the fact that all TV's have a built in CD/DVD player ...)
When I get down to doing my guest directories (yes awful that I never have) they will say "I don't move around furniture in your house, please don't move it around in mine".
You can write it. Doesn't mean they'll read it!
teeth_smile.gif

we had a similar type of fun as we live in the basement so we have a macerating pump to pump the water etc up to the sewer line which is at ground level it also does the water from the two washing machines, dishwasher and kitchen sink (also in basement) however it froze somewhere between my bathroom and the sewer so you can't pour water up it to unfreeze (if you see what I mean) but we found the problem it had frozen in a loop of pipe which sticks out of the wall and then goes back in. We have built an insulated box over it so it won't happen again but I was not a happy camper I can tell you. (ie can't use own bathroom or wash up or do laundry!!)

Back