When things don't work and we don't change

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Sitting today in a cafeteria listening to the guy emptying the trash complaining to the girls behind the registers, 'Can you believe it? They threw the plastic food containers into the bottle recycle. This happens everyday.'
What does the bottle recycle container have on the top? "Bottles, plastic, cans in here."
Even I hesitated the first time thru.
So, if it's not working, why not change it?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Insanity is the guy from Jersey who has called at least 4 times to see if he can stay here and bring his dueling schnauzers along.

It is being so close to the issue that you can't see the problem - and until you get to a point to ask someone outside, you will never hear all the complaining being done that would correct the problem.
Like when we have callers day in and out that say they can not find X information on our website - but we fail to try something different to make it stand out. - Just because we see it or know what it means, does not mean it is crystal clear to others.
And regarding your example Mort - I have seen this as well and questioned what goes in there. Only when they have a lid with only a round hole, just large enough for a bottle, do I know for a fact what qualifies as 'plastic' in their minds. I have even seen people scraping all the food off the plastic plates so they can place them in the 'right' bins.

It is being so close to the issue that you can't see the problem - and until you get to a point to ask someone outside, you will never hear all the complaining being done that would correct the problem.
Like when we have callers day in and out that say they can not find X information on our website - but we fail to try something different to make it stand out. - Just because we see it or know what it means, does not mean it is crystal clear to others.
And regarding your example Mort - I have seen this as well and questioned what goes in there. Only when they have a lid with only a round hole, just large enough for a bottle, do I know for a fact what qualifies as 'plastic' in their minds. I have even seen people scraping all the food off the plastic plates so they can place them in the 'right' bins..
It was a round bin hole! It's obviously not a good enough clue, tho.
I thought it was interesting simply because, like you said, we keep hearing what's wrong, we keep complaining about guests saying it's wrong and then we don't fix it! Maybe because a fix is not obvious.

And regarding your example Mort - I have seen this as well and questioned what goes in there. Only when they have a lid with only a round hole, just large enough for a bottle, do I know for a fact what qualifies as 'plastic' in their minds. I have even seen people scraping all the food off the plastic plates so they can place them in the 'right' bins..
It was a round bin hole! It's obviously not a good enough clue, tho.
I thought it was interesting simply because, like you said, we keep hearing what's wrong, we keep complaining about guests saying it's wrong and then we don't fix it! Maybe because a fix is not obvious.
Morticia said:
Maybe because a fix is not obvious.
To US. That is the problem... We are in the box and do not see outside it. - For that recycle bin the only other thing is the way it is worded - how simple is that!
Sometimes that is all WE need to do but we just do not heed the warning... we listen to the complaint then write it off as an idiot that can not read or follow instructions, when the real issue is that we need to tweak the wording or make it more obvious. I have been working on this myself - really listening to what someone says, that is when they at least call.... what we do not know is how many others have had the same problems but do not provide us a hint...because they just move on. I am trying to find each complaint hint as a blessing and will do what I can to make things easier (hopefully) for the masses.

Back