When trying to take a day off....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
OK...What do you do when you close for a day??
We block the house so we can take a day off, but it never fails that people still stop by to look at the place, ask questions etc........we put a note on the door saying we're closed for the day but they can sometimes see us inside. Usually if we see them before they see us we hide. I'd like to really enjoy the day off in the house without having to be on guard. I've thought about putting something across the driveway so they can't drive in, but the DH is worried someone will hit it and then we're liable for their damages. Any suggestions or would love to hear what you do.
Thanks! Karen

I hear you! This is a major concern for us as we are on a popular road for scenic drives. Block the driveway and put a large sign on it that says Employees Only.

How about CAUTION tape across the driveway - the way you would do if you were resurfacing the driveway. Tape would indicate a no-no entry but not do damage if the idiot drove through it and it would no cost a lot to do or replace.

I would put a closed sign on the door and lock the door. So if people see you, you are doing something else. If you go to a business and it is closed, and you see people inside. Do you think those people will open the door for you so you can do business? I know they don't.

You let people in and give them tours anytime????? No way would I do that. You get nothing but "looky loos" wanting to check out your house. Sorry..no can do.This is your home too.
PUt up a closed sign and be done with it. Keep your doors locked as well. You don't have to answer the door. Or say "tours only by advanced arrangements."

How about CAUTION tape across the driveway - the way you would do if you were resurfacing the driveway. Tape would indicate a no-no entry but not do damage if the idiot drove through it and it would no cost a lot to do or replace..
gillumhouse said:
How about CAUTION tape across the driveway - the way you would do if you were resurfacing the driveway. Tape would indicate a no-no entry but not do damage if the idiot drove through it and it would no cost a lot to do or replace.
This is a really good idea if it's not too much of a hassle to put up the tape. It's almost, dare I say it, idiot proof???

Closed sign on the door, which also says "By Appt Only" and don't answer it. When they see you ignore them.

We had a similar problem which we addressed with judicious landscaping and gates. Our walkway is landscaped on both sides and we installed arbors at the entrances with swing gates. The gates lock from the inside and we hang handmade wooden signs out that say either closed or Innkeeper will return for 3 O'clock check in.
bhg-arbor-gate.jpeg

I feel uncomfortable if people see me and I ignore them. I feel like I'm being rude so I'm trying to eliminate that by keeping them AWAY completely.

We had a similar problem which we addressed with judicious landscaping and gates. Our walkway is landscaped on both sides and we installed arbors at the entrances with swing gates. The gates lock from the inside and we hang handmade wooden signs out that say either closed or Innkeeper will return for 3 O'clock check in.
bhg-arbor-gate.jpeg
That looks great. We don't have anything like that...we have a fence on both sides of the driveway which we could hang something across it with a sign.

bhg-arbor-gate.jpeg
That looks great. We don't have anything like that...we have a fence on both sides of the driveway which we could hang something across it with a sign.
Karen said:
Thanks! I confess to being initially opposed to it because I thought it might appear too cluttered or hemmed in, but when it was done....wow...I was wrong. It gave it a nice, country cottage feel.

I feel uncomfortable if people see me and I ignore them. I feel like I'm being rude so I'm trying to eliminate that by keeping them AWAY completely..
Karen said:
I feel uncomfortable if people see me and I ignore them. I feel like I'm being rude so I'm trying to eliminate that by keeping them AWAY completely.
You could put on some really obvious headphones and whenever you see people staring at you through the door/window start dancing and singing loudly.
teeth_smile.gif
Then they might just think that you can't hear them, not that you are ignoring them.
wow.gif

I feel uncomfortable if people see me and I ignore them. I feel like I'm being rude so I'm trying to eliminate that by keeping them AWAY completely..
Karen said:
Doesn't that make you mad though? It is your home, you should be able to be there without serving guests. The closed sign means closed. People can be so intrusive, they do not care how much of YOUR time they steal. I know it is easier said than done, but they are the ones being RUDE by disturbing you when you are not there to service their needs, you are CLOSED.

If you're like me (I wear grubbies on my day off), keep a basket or mounted mailbox next to the closed sign and put brochures and postcards in it. Then, if people see you, just glance their way and walk out of the room. If the sign says closed, and they see someone in sweatpants walking around inside, they will say "huh, must be the cleaning lady", grab a brochure and walk away.
Maybe get a sign custom made that says "The Inn is closed today; please take a brocure"!

If you're like me (I wear grubbies on my day off), keep a basket or mounted mailbox next to the closed sign and put brochures and postcards in it. Then, if people see you, just glance their way and walk out of the room. If the sign says closed, and they see someone in sweatpants walking around inside, they will say "huh, must be the cleaning lady", grab a brochure and walk away.
Maybe get a sign custom made that says "The Inn is closed today; please take a brocure"!.
The brochure box is already taken care of...We thought of that last year.
regular_smile.gif
I am like you and like to stay in my sweats all day when I don't have to go anywhere or see anyone. Maybe I can come up with some sort of covering for the window of the door so they can't look in...They end up leaving nose prints on the door from pressing their faces on it to see.

Maybe get a sign custom made that says "The Inn is closed today; please take a brocure"!.
When it's my day off, I don't even want other people on my property. It's an intrusion even if they come, see the closed sign and go away. I don't want to walk around mentally aware of anyone else.
Block off whatever/however you can, the access to your place. Run around naked if you want!

When it's my day off, I don't even want other people on my property. It's an intrusion even if they come, see the closed sign and go away. I don't want to walk around mentally aware of anyone else.
Block off whatever/however you can, the access to your place. Run around naked if you want!
THAT'S EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I don't even want to see
wow.gif
someone on the property. That's why I wanted to put a chain across the driveway....It's getting towards the end of our busy time and I am sooooooo ready for a few days off. Unfortunately we've got another month to go before our blocked 10 days off. Keep smiling keep smiling keep smiling!!!

How about CAUTION tape across the driveway - the way you would do if you were resurfacing the driveway. Tape would indicate a no-no entry but not do damage if the idiot drove through it and it would no cost a lot to do or replace..
gillumhouse said:
This is a really good idea if it's not too much of a hassle to put up the tape. It's almost, dare I say it, idiot proof???
I would be careful about using yellow CAUTION tape. It is liable to be mistaken for a crime scene. You don't want THAT kind of publicity.

Back