When trying to take a day off....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about CAUTION tape across the driveway - the way you would do if you were resurfacing the driveway. Tape would indicate a no-no entry but not do damage if the idiot drove through it and it would no cost a lot to do or replace..
gillumhouse said:
How about CAUTION tape across the driveway - the way you would do if you were resurfacing the driveway. Tape would indicate a no-no entry but not do damage if the idiot drove through it and it would no cost a lot to do or replace.
This is a really good idea if it's not too much of a hassle to put up the tape. It's almost, dare I say it, idiot proof???
I would be careful about using yellow CAUTION tape. It is liable to be mistaken for a crime scene. You don't want THAT kind of publicity.
If you can why not get a heavy chain and put a big "closed" sign on it and hang it across. I've seen that at other places
Riki

How about CAUTION tape across the driveway - the way you would do if you were resurfacing the driveway. Tape would indicate a no-no entry but not do damage if the idiot drove through it and it would no cost a lot to do or replace..
gillumhouse said:
How about CAUTION tape across the driveway - the way you would do if you were resurfacing the driveway. Tape would indicate a no-no entry but not do damage if the idiot drove through it and it would no cost a lot to do or replace.
This is a really good idea if it's not too much of a hassle to put up the tape. It's almost, dare I say it, idiot proof???
I would be careful about using yellow CAUTION tape. It is liable to be mistaken for a crime scene. You don't want THAT kind of publicity.
I think Crime Scene tape is red. I will have to ask my daughter when she gtes here tomorrow.

We hace no driveway here, we have a whole street out front they coould walk up and a whole parking lot out back, so no way of blocking it off. We could block off access to the front door with a tape and a cone. In fact we have tape out there now on one side due to renovations. :)
Or you could do this - start a coughing fit if they see you. They will leave. LOL

Do you have a 'no vacancy' sign you put up? That usually stops them here unless they are desparate and just want help finding a place.
If having the sign stating you have no vacancy/are closed, etc does not work, then, yes, put a saw horse across the driveway. Make sure it is back far enough so the car has room to turn in and get off the street, but not so far that they get close to the house!
Also, you do not have to answer the door just because someone knocks or rings. If random people are that rude, it's ok to be rude back. It's your home they are invading. (But I know what it is like to hide when someone comes to the door. It's embarrassing and awkward!)

Do you have a 'no vacancy' sign you put up? That usually stops them here unless they are desparate and just want help finding a place.
If having the sign stating you have no vacancy/are closed, etc does not work, then, yes, put a saw horse across the driveway. Make sure it is back far enough so the car has room to turn in and get off the street, but not so far that they get close to the house!
Also, you do not have to answer the door just because someone knocks or rings. If random people are that rude, it's ok to be rude back. It's your home they are invading. (But I know what it is like to hide when someone comes to the door. It's embarrassing and awkward!).
We do put a no vacancy sign out but funny....people don't read!! I will try the saw horses or something so they can't drive up the driveway. Thanks to all for your input!

Get a roll of "Police Line - Do Not Cross" tape and drape it in front of your driveway. Pretty much guaranteed to keep unwanted visitors away.

it does AMAZE me how many people will resort to peeking in windows & such when the "we are not here- check in is at 4" sign is up. unbelievable. i definately have had times where i felt like a prisoner in my own home.
hang a sign, put out sawhorses, a gate or whatever. do what it takes and don't feel bad or guilty about it for one moment!

it is hard. all i can do is sympathize.
it's not much of a day off if people stop by, want a look, ask questions, etc. the brochures outside help, the barriers help ... but determined people will still come to your door. after all, 'it's only me' ... they just don't understand. one only me, plus another, plus another ...

Get a roll of "Police Line - Do Not Cross" tape and drape it in front of your driveway. Pretty much guaranteed to keep unwanted visitors away..
TLE041 said:
Get a roll of "Police Line - Do Not Cross" tape and drape it in front of your driveway. Pretty much guaranteed to keep unwanted visitors away.
Better yet draw a body outline in chalk and leave a few empty shell casings.
tounge_smile.gif

Get a roll of "Police Line - Do Not Cross" tape and drape it in front of your driveway. Pretty much guaranteed to keep unwanted visitors away..
TLE041 said:
tounge_smile.gif

I agree with Joe, police tape is tres' tacky and will not leave a good impression with passers-by

Oh here is a sign for the door "Be right back, had to check in with my parole officer"
cry_smile.gif

TLE041 said:
tounge_smile.gif

I agree with Joe, police tape is tres' tacky and will not leave a good impression with passers-by
Little Blue said:
...police tape is tres' tacky and will not leave a good impression with passers-by
Gee, and here we were thinking that police tape is an elegant decor item suitable for use in the classiest B&B. Thanks for pointing that out to us (and thanks to Joe too).

TLE041 said:
tounge_smile.gif

Little Blue said:
...police tape is tres' tacky and will not leave a good impression with passers-by
Gee, and here we were thinking that police tape is an elegant decor item suitable for use in the classiest B&B. Thanks for pointing that out to us (and thanks to Joe too).
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a smart-a@@, and didn't know if you were serious or not!

With the flu season approaching, a nice Quarantine sign in the driveway would certainly do the trick if you find police tape too tacky.

We had a similar problem which we addressed with judicious landscaping and gates. Our walkway is landscaped on both sides and we installed arbors at the entrances with swing gates. The gates lock from the inside and we hang handmade wooden signs out that say either closed or Innkeeper will return for 3 O'clock check in.
bhg-arbor-gate.jpeg
That looks great. We don't have anything like that...we have a fence on both sides of the driveway which we could hang something across it with a sign.
Karen said:
That looks great. We don't have anything like that...we have a fence on both sides of the driveway which we could hang something across it with a sign.
Thanks! I confess to being initially opposed to it because I thought it might appear too cluttered or hemmed in, but when it was done....wow...I was wrong. It gave it a nice, country cottage feel.
We have a very similar gate, complements the old fashioned house. Your landscaping looks welcoming and attractive.
KathleenM

Yellow caution tape is used all the time on construction sites. I said I was going to ask the cop about color. She said on the outer perimeter - to keep people out is yellow tape that says CRIME SCENE. If there is a death involed, the inner area has red Crime Scene tape.
So go ahead to Lowes or Home Depot and get your yellow caution tape for across your driveway.

Back