When two rights go wrong

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you have 4 rooms you rent to the public you can discriminate? Seems a bit hokey to me...I need more. (per usual feed my info-maniacal-ism).
cry_smile.gif

You can refuse someone you know or think is a PITA if they aren't otherwise in a protected class. You could refuse anyone with blue eyes if you wanted to, or someone covered with tattoos or body piercings if you thought they looked like trouble. They aren't part of a protected class. Service dogs (animals) are a different story, as with refusing on the basis of race, religion, etc, etc, etc. I'm not sure I understand why a B&B can refuse children when familial status (having children) is protected from discrimination by landlords when it comes to renting housing. Does anyone have that answer?.
sunburst2 said:
You can refuse someone you know or think is a PITA if they aren't otherwise in a protected class. You could refuse anyone with blue eyes if you wanted to, or someone covered with tattoos or body piercings if you thought they looked like trouble. They aren't part of a protected class. Service dogs (animals) are a different story, as with refusing on the basis of race, religion, etc, etc, etc. I'm not sure I understand why a B&B can refuse children when familial status (having children) is protected from discrimination by landlords when it comes to renting housing. Does anyone have that answer?
No you can't! You can refuse someone because they are ugly! Are you kidding me? Everyone is part of a protected class. Call your attorney and find out your rights...you are open to the public you can't just say "You might be trouble so no room for you tonight." You can call the cops should they tear up the place and cause a problem there - you can't tell them in advance YOU WILL BE TROUBLE or I DON'T LIKE THE WAY YOU LOOK.
Depends on the size of your Inn. Ours is considered a business within a private home, thus I can refuse entry to anyone I like.
Little Blue said:
Depends on the size of your Inn. Ours is considered a business within a private home, thus I can refuse entry to anyone I like.
Who says?
I am asking as I had a "situation" year one and contacted attorneys who specialize in this area and was not told what you are saying above, at all. Here is my thing, we are a family living here as well, so I asked from the angle of a FAMILY, not just an owner. It didn't change a thing. You better have a legit reason for denying entry/service to anyone you like.
If someone has anything they can point us to, please do. I would hate for aspirings to read the forum and think they can pick and choose their guests based on eye color. :)
§ 2000a. Prohibition against discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation
Title 42 > Chapter 21 > Subchapter II > Section 2000a
Title 42 of the US Code as currently published by the US Government reflects the laws passed by Congress as of Jan. 8, 2008
(a) Equal access
All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
(b) Establishments affecting interstate commerce or supported in their activities by State action as places of public accommodation; lodgings; facilities principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises; gasoline stations; places of exhibition or entertainment; other covered establishments
Each of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this subchapter if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:

• (1) any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his residence
Found at: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/usc_sec_42_00002000---a000-.html
(1) any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his residence
See I said that for years on our other forum and here as well. But ...there are innkeepers here who will tell you...in their state, they cannot turn away children no matter what. But hey...kids aren't dogs...so this is an out for some. Isn't there somewhere that proof has to be provided when you have a "service dog"??

So if you have 4 rooms you rent to the public you can discriminate? Seems a bit hokey to me...I need more. (per usual feed my info-maniacal-ism).
cry_smile.gif
Yep I think that is what it says....Your home...you do what you want. My personal feelings...let the battle begin
embaressed_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif
Yep I think that is what it says....Your home...you do what you want. My personal feelings...let the battle begin
embaressed_smile.gif

catlady said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I agree 100%.
I also know when you hold a business license you are in a whole different ball game. Fair enough.

cry_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

catlady said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I agree 100%.
I also know when you hold a business license you are in a whole different ball game. Fair enough.
Fair Enough...if you live in a state that is highly regulatory of B&B's, requires licensure, inspections and such. Michigan does not for an Inn our size. There was no license required other than a state use tax license, and absolutely nothing on the county or local level either.

cry_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

catlady said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I agree 100%.
I had a business license. We never took children. No one ever threatened me because of it. No one at the court house told me I had to run my business a certain way. My home ... I ran it the way I wanted to.
We did not take pets, and no one with a "true" service dog ever tried to book a room with us. If they had, I would have welcomed them. Not just because it is the law..but the right thing to do.

I would still like to know what happened with the first place that turned them away. Did they knuckle under with the first letter and pay up? Is that why they were mot sued? Or were they sued also?

Back