When you just do not remember a guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you do when you can't remember a CURRENT guest? I called one of our female guests by the first name of the previous female guest.
smiley-ashamed005.gif

I apologized and passed it off as a "senior moment".
smiley-char124.gif
She laughed and even made a joke about it in the guest book.
We have a little black board by the front door that says "Welcome" and we write each arriving guest's name. Everyone is impressed and thinks that we are just being thoughtful and welcoming. In actuality, I glance at the dang thing as I go out to greet them to remind me who the heck they are..
Can't you just call everyone "Pard'ner"? Give 'em the local feel without having to remember who they are?
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
Can't you just call everyone "Pard'ner"? Give 'em the local feel without having to remember who they are?
tounge_smile.gif
If you live in CA you can just call every guy Steve or John and be safe. LOL!
We say Sir and M'am here. Other than at check in when I shake their hand and we exchange names. Yesterday I discovered the booking for Francis, he prefered to be called Frank. :)
Joe Bloggs said:
We say Sir and M'am here...
That can backfire on you. Some individuals resent someone of their age or older calling them "sir" or "m'am" because their vain enough to think that THAT makes them sound older.
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
That can backfire on you. Some individuals resent someone of their age or older calling them "sir" or "m'am" because their vain enough to think that THAT makes them sound older.
This is the south. There is no backfiring, older people call younger ma'am and sir out of respect. I call younger people than I ma'am and sir. Respect.
I have been working with a 28 yr. old physical therapist the past few months. he always calls me "Mrs. ...."......I told him 'you really can call me by my first name.' He said,Ok, but he just couldn't do that. That is not the way he was brought up.

What do you do when you can't remember a CURRENT guest? I called one of our female guests by the first name of the previous female guest.
smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
We have a little black board by the front door that says "Welcome" and we write each arriving guest's name. Everyone is impressed and thinks that we are just being thoughtful and welcoming. In actuality, I glance at the dang thing as I go out to greet them to remind me who the heck they are..
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
We say Sir and M'am here. Other than at check in when I shake their hand and we exchange names. Yesterday I discovered the booking for Francis, he prefered to be called Frank. :)
Joe Bloggs said:
I will take that orver the Sweetie and Honey I have been getting lately from wait staff. Guess they have not heard the truth - that I am full of vinegar.

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
I will take that orver the Sweetie and Honey I have been getting lately from wait staff. Guess they have not heard the truth - that I am full of vinegar.
The one that gets me from servers is "what can I get you guys?"

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Yes a younger person calling you honey is not on. I hired someone to help with the rooms (didn't last long) she thought I was younger than her and called me sweetie. A great term for you boss!

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
The one that gets me from servers is "what can I get you guys?"
I HATE that...and they all do it. When I would train my hotel staff, that was the first thing I would stress. I had a handsome young latino lad on staff who was a real charmer, but the "you guys" thing was constantly coming out of his mouth. I finally got through to him, and from then on it was "What can I do for you ladies" or "Yes sir, how can I help you". He started getting tips at the front desk, and you can bet everyone else starting doing the same.
If wait staff only knew how much more they could make in tips just by changing that one habit....

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
This is the south. There is no backfiring, older people call younger ma'am and sir out of respect. I call younger people than I ma'am and sir. Respect.
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Hello! I live in the South.
smiley-char124.gif

All I know is that more than once I've had people ask me NOT to sir and m'am them because it made them feel old. The other thing I hear most often is when I call a gentleman "Mr. So-and-so" I get "Mr. So-and-so was my father, call me Steve (or Bob or Bill, anything but Sue).
I think a lot of it has to do with their comfort level. If a guest feels comfortable and is made to feel like an old friend, then there is an increased level of intimacy that exists within the B&B bubble.
I agree that this is something that doesn't fly outside of this environment AND not with every guest....just most of them.

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
That irks me when a waitress calls me "honey" or "sugar" or "baby" I usually let them know about it too.
[insert pictures of FLO here]

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
smiley-char124.gif

All I know is that more than once I've had people ask me NOT to sir and m'am them because it made them feel old. The other thing I hear most often is when I call a gentleman "Mr. So-and-so" I get "Mr. So-and-so was my father, call me Steve (or Bob or Bill, anything but Sue).
I think a lot of it has to do with their comfort level. If a guest feels comfortable and is made to feel like an old friend, then there is an increased level of intimacy that exists within the B&B bubble.
I agree that this is something that doesn't fly outside of this environment AND not with every guest....just most of them.
Sorry, sir. You don't live in the South. You live in TEXAS!!! I've been corrected many times since I moved to the South that Texas is not part of it. Don't quote history or any legitimate sources, these folks will tell you how it is. :)

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
smiley-char124.gif

Sorry, sir. You don't live in the South. You live in TEXAS!!! I've been corrected many times since I moved to the South that Texas is not part of it. Don't quote history or any legitimate sources, these folks will tell you how it is. :)
Samster said:
That shore be's the truth, Miz. Samster. (Now I CAN say that being that I am from where you live now!!!) Gotta love the REAL southerners
wink_smile.gif

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
smiley-char124.gif

Samster said:
Sorry right back at you! WE WERE PART OF THE CONFEDERACY!!!!
Edited to add: Most historic Texans came from Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee.

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
smiley-char124.gif

Samster said:
I told you not to quote facts! Sorry, still not part of the South according to the folks here and Copperhead has backed me up on that. lol! :)
Of course I know about historic Texans...we lived there for 8 years. btw - if you have not made it there, get over to the Bob Bullock State History Museum in Austin. It is wonderful!

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
smiley-char124.gif

Samster said:
I told you not to quote facts! Sorry, still not part of the South according to the folks here and Copperhead has backed me up on that. lol! :)
Of course I know about historic Texans...we lived there for 8 years. btw - if you have not made it there, get over to the Bob Bullock State History Museum in Austin. It is wonderful!
Samster said:
I'm very big into Texas History. This is my website I created sometime ago. It grew so large that it was taking over my life and I relegated its upkeep and storage to Texas A&M University.
The interface is somewhat dated AND if I ever get the time would like to update it for the 21st Century.

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
smiley-char124.gif

Samster said:
Samster said:
I'm very big into Texas History. This is my website I created sometime ago. It grew so large that it was taking over my life and I relegated its upkeep and storage to Texas A&M University.
The interface is somewhat dated AND if I ever get the time would like to update it for the 21st Century.
Very interesting site. We moved to TX in the middle of the middle school year that kids in TX have to take the TX history competency exam. Our son was so interested in TX history that he read the entire textbook and passed with flying colors. I always say that TX history is "bigger than life".
Just so you know though, these Deep South folks will still not accept you as a Southerner. tee hee hee.... :) I'm in the same category...also born in a Southern State, part of the Confederacy, and am not considered a Southerner. Oh, well....

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
smiley-char124.gif

Samster said:
Samster said:
Very interesting site. We moved to TX in the middle of the middle school year that kids in TX have to take the TX history competency exam. Our son was so interested in TX history that he read the entire textbook and passed with flying colors. I always say that TX history is "bigger than life".
Just so you know though, these Deep South folks will still not accept you as a Southerner. tee hee hee.... :) I'm in the same category...also born in a Southern State, part of the Confederacy, and am not considered a Southerner. Oh, well....
Samster said:
Sounds like a Yankee conspiracy to me!
smiley-angry013.gif

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
smiley-char124.gif

Samster said:
Samster said:
Samster said:
And of course there is the fact that FLA being as far south as you can get is not considered part of the south either. Maybe because the residents are 50% Jersey and 45% Cuban.
wink_smile.gif

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
smiley-char124.gif

Samster said:
Samster said:
We moved to TX in the middle of the middle school year that kids in TX have to take the TX history competency exam.
In West Virginia, WV History is a required class from 4th thru 8th grades and there is a test in 8th called the Golden Horseshoe test. The best of the best of each county become Knights of the Golden Horseshoe which they receive at a banquet with the Governor. I made it to the County level and then went brain-dead (I wanted it too much).

Back