When you just do not remember a guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Just received an email from a guest who stayed last week. They loved it ("as usual") and will be back again next month. I didn't recognize them when they got here, haven't found any record of their ever being here before and just do not know who they have us confused with! They recognized hubs immediately. He still has no idea, either.
This has happened before and usually we can figure out where the guest really stayed when they start commenting on the things we've changed. Drastic, wall-moving changes which we have not done, but which explains why they think what we've done with the place is 'amazing!'

It reminds me of the guest who checks in is apparently not the happy go-lucky guest the next morning. I often do not recognize them in the morning, their whole demeaner is different.

There are many times I do not remember guests by a name in an e-mail but usually do when they arrive and I see them. And then there are others that even when you see them you put on the wide-eyed, big smile how ARE you (as you do the mental who the hell is this?) welcome and pray they say somethig that triggers a memory.

There are many times I do not remember guests by a name in an e-mail but usually do when they arrive and I see them. And then there are others that even when you see them you put on the wide-eyed, big smile how ARE you (as you do the mental who the hell is this?) welcome and pray they say somethig that triggers a memory..
No triggers, nothing. Usually I remember email addies (yes, weird, I know, but a lot of them are catchy) but nothing with this guest at all. Of course, the longer I think about it, the more likely it is I'll THINK I remember him.

There are many times I do not remember guests by a name in an e-mail but usually do when they arrive and I see them. And then there are others that even when you see them you put on the wide-eyed, big smile how ARE you (as you do the mental who the hell is this?) welcome and pray they say somethig that triggers a memory..
No triggers, nothing. Usually I remember email addies (yes, weird, I know, but a lot of them are catchy) but nothing with this guest at all. Of course, the longer I think about it, the more likely it is I'll THINK I remember him.
Triggers happen as you talk to them - sometimes. Just give your big winning smile and the how nice to see you again lilt to the welcome and you will skate right through it.

Triggers happen as you talk to them - sometimes. Just give your big winning smile and the how nice to see you again lilt to the welcome and you will skate right through it.
gillumhouse said:
Yeah, NEXT time I WILL know who they are! We went back 5 years in the db, no one with this name. Maybe he came with someone else who made the rez last time? In which case, bad boy, for talking about it so much in front of this lady!

ok, with your size inn, at 50% occupancy (i don't know what yours is, just an estimate...) that's like almost 3,000 people a year coming through your place. Give me a break, I can't even keep track of my kids names and I only have two of them! Everyone in my house answers to "Da'S'Br'" "Br'Sar'Da'" or "Sar'br'da"!! At least they know who they are, but they probably think I am fluent in some African click language!
tounge_smile.gif

ok, with your size inn, at 50% occupancy (i don't know what yours is, just an estimate...) that's like almost 3,000 people a year coming through your place. Give me a break, I can't even keep track of my kids names and I only have two of them! Everyone in my house answers to "Da'S'Br'" "Br'Sar'Da'" or "Sar'br'da"!! At least they know who they are, but they probably think I am fluent in some African click language!
tounge_smile.gif
Actually, it's close to 2000 NEW guests, but not quite that many! Still, most of the time SOMETHING clicks! Altho we have had a few 'ghost' guests that we never saw at all. Late arrival, early check-out. And the ones who were SO quiet we didn't really get to meet them.
It's just that this guy was SO certain.

tounge_smile.gif
I am soooo glad to know there is someone else who speaks my language! DH's first wife named the girls - Shelly, Shannon, and Sheryl. so they were spoken to (especially in the don't you dare voice) Shel-Shan-sher or some variation of same. my youngest sometimes found himself being called Wayne (my baby brother who was blond and my kid's dark like me) or Sparky - the DOG!

tounge_smile.gif
I am soooo glad to know there is someone else who speaks my language! DH's first wife named the girls - Shelly, Shannon, and Sheryl. so they were spoken to (especially in the don't you dare voice) Shel-Shan-sher or some variation of same. my youngest sometimes found himself being called Wayne (my baby brother who was blond and my kid's dark like me) or Sparky - the DOG!
I used to call my son by my brother's name or by the name of the only baby I ever babysat for (it was an entire summer). Poor kid had so many nicknames!

tounge_smile.gif
I used to call my son by my brother's name or by the name of the only baby I ever babysat for (it was an entire summer). Poor kid had so many nicknames!
Miy son sometimes has Thanksgiving for his birthday. When we first went to DH's house I have the porta-crib in the living room for during the day when I was taking care of the kids (I was on graveyard shift and the twins were only 4) and DH said it was like a little bean sticking up over the top of the crib - so he became Beans. had a devil of a time convincing him of his real name when he went to Kindergarten. What is your name? Beans!
aka Turkey; Turkey-Lurkey; Buzzard Bait; Buzz and the kids at school called him Marty-farty (poor kid took after his grandfather)

tounge_smile.gif
Miy son sometimes has Thanksgiving for his birthday. When we first went to DH's house I have the porta-crib in the living room for during the day when I was taking care of the kids (I was on graveyard shift and the twins were only 4) and DH said it was like a little bean sticking up over the top of the crib - so he became Beans. had a devil of a time convincing him of his real name when he went to Kindergarten. What is your name? Beans!
aka Turkey; Turkey-Lurkey; Buzzard Bait; Buzz and the kids at school called him Marty-farty (poor kid took after his grandfather)
I didn't get those particular turkey nicknames, but the family story is the stork didn't bring me, the turkey did, when I arrived the day after T-day.

tounge_smile.gif
I didn't get those particular turkey nicknames, but the family story is the stork didn't bring me, the turkey did, when I arrived the day after T-day.
He was my thanksgiving turkey. (Got sidetracked with Beans. He also got turkey-bird)

DW were lamenting over the fact that we can't remember our guests from the previous week. It's funny, we remember our first few guests, but now there all becoming a blur.

DW were lamenting over the fact that we can't remember our guests from the previous week. It's funny, we remember our first few guests, but now there all becoming a blur..
We of course remember our repeats but there are a few that were here once that we not only remember, but keep in touch with from time to time. Thre will be some that you will just make a connection with for some reason and then there will be others that you will say "were they ever here?" Many are just a blur.

I remember my first few guests right down to the car they were driving and the clothes they were wearing. Now, once a guest leaves, unless I've made a notation about them, they're out of my memory. However, If they become repeat guests I remember them after that.

I remember my first few guests right down to the car they were driving and the clothes they were wearing. Now, once a guest leaves, unless I've made a notation about them, they're out of my memory. However, If they become repeat guests I remember them after that..
Country Girl said:
I remember my first few guests right down to the car they were driving and the clothes they were wearing. Now, once a guest leaves, unless I've made a notation about them, they're out of my memory. However, If they become repeat guests I remember them after that.
I am sad our first guests weren't memorable in a happy way. A young couple who never left their room for two days. I was heartbroken.

DW were lamenting over the fact that we can't remember our guests from the previous week. It's funny, we remember our first few guests, but now there all becoming a blur..
This is happening to me too as we approach the 18 month mark of being in business! I don't remember the unremarkable guests now - meaning they were nice but we either didn't get to chat much or they weren't around much or something. There is a whole list of "phantom" guests that my husband never met and would have no clue about. I remember our first guests for the first month or so very clearly.

I used to be pretty good at remember everyone. Usually I still am but as I am now in my fourth year of doing this some of the guests are a blur to me. Especially when all four rooms are rented every night all summer just about. Once I see the guest come back well then I usually remember them. Before I was computerized I would write down something about each guest who stayed on the back of their 4x5 registration card. Something that would jog my memory in case they came back. Well I gave up on that after I became computerized and too busy to spend the time dealing with that.

maybe you gotten ubducted by aliens for a few minutes????
This happens to me too sometimes and I really hate it.....feel really
smileystooges.gif
....trying to figure out who where what....
heads upp :) You are not alone :)

Back