When you take a deposit to equal one night stay

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Question:
A room is booked for just one night. They have added-on a romance package (breakfast delivered to the room and flowers). Your reservation policy states the reservation will be held by one night's deposit.
Do you include the add-on package to this deposit or leave that little bit til they check in or out?

Never asked myself this question, but probably would not, only the regular nights stay, but I guess that aslo would depend on how extensive the add on is...a few flowers and chocolates, I can make use for myself...a fishing charter, etc.....probably would take deposit.

I never have either, but thought it would be silly to run their card for a weenie amount tomorrow. I might just run it all. I have run it all before, but thought uh maybe I shouldn't be. It is not a package where I go and purchase big bucks worth, those I would precharge.

I guess it depends what the romance package involves. If it involves me buying stuff specifically for that package (that I wouldn't have around anyway) then I would probably charge that as part of the deposit ... though then if they cancelled and you kept the deposit, they would want you to ship them whatever they purchased.
My guess would be that for all of the extra time it would take explaining the addendum to the deposit policy it would not be worth the effort....most of the time (unless it is a really big package) I would not make it part of the deposit.

Never asked myself this question, but probably would not, only the regular nights stay, but I guess that aslo would depend on how extensive the add on is...a few flowers and chocolates, I can make use for myself...a fishing charter, etc.....probably would take deposit..
In this case, we take the full cost of the room, and the package plus tax, but we make it clear that if they cancel within our cxl policy period (7 days prior), they lose the room portion of the deposit +tax, but we will refund the unused items from the package (I never order the flowers in our romance package until 2 days prior, anyway). The only exceptions are packages that include things like carriage rides or guided tours - I watch out for the people I partner with to create my packages - they get hurt from my cancellations, too.

I haven't sold packages, but I take one night deposits... if they're only staying one night then I run the total, including tax, and when I get to selling packages then it will be the total, including the package.
Often when I have a two night stay I tell them I can run one night, or just run the whole thing and they'll owe nothing when they arrive. They do that about 50% of the time.
=)
Kk.

If I have to buy something out of pocket, then I charge the card one week in advance, ie- when the cancellation policy kicks in. I don't like being out the money for the add-ons if the guest cancels.

If I have to buy something out of pocket, then I charge the card one week in advance, ie- when the cancellation policy kicks in. I don't like being out the money for the add-ons if the guest cancels..
Bree said:
If I have to buy something out of pocket, then I charge the card one week in advance, ie- when the cancellation policy kicks in. I don't like being out the money for the add-ons if the guest cancels.
But you bring up a good point - if they ordered something for just one night - then they pay for it and it falls into the cancellation policy? See I just can't add more and more to our policy, but I sure think that IS THE WAY it should be.

My cancellation policy states if cancelled less than 48 hours prior to expected arrival or no-show, a full reservation charge will be posted to the card. In case of horses, it states including the stable fees. If the package includes a dinner, I have purchased supplies. If it is with horses they have readied the stalls (no problem with my insurance in this case since there is no possibility of a problem with no-show horses kicking or biting anyone).

Yes, leave the romance pck. until the last night.
As a deposit, we take the first night stay plus the sales and hotel taxes for ALL nights.

If I have to buy something out of pocket, then I charge the card one week in advance, ie- when the cancellation policy kicks in. I don't like being out the money for the add-ons if the guest cancels..
Bree said:
But you bring up a good point - if they ordered something for just one night - then they pay for it and it falls into the cancellation policy? See I just can't add more and more to our policy, but I sure think that IS THE WAY it should be.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
I didn't add it to the cancel policy, I added it to the package info...all packages must be paid for one week in advance or some such. I don't always get around to charging the amount but I should so guests don't think I'm charging them twice because I said I would charge the package ahead of time. I also say that pkgs are non-refundable.

Back