When you think you seen/heard it all....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
Well, I "THOUGHT" I have seen and heard it all over the years, but this one topps the cake....
Into my driveway pulls this big Motorhome. I thought well, those could be guests which would like to have one night in a real room with a real shower, which happened a few times before.
They walk up to me telling me they read my ad in a magazine and were wondering if I were german. I told them yes and they started asking questions about all sorts of things since they did not speak much english.
I eventually asked them if they had reservations? Well, no, they replied. They just wanted to get some information about the area in german. Then the husband started to ask me about the motor oil the Motorhome uses. If it would be ok to use a lower grade?
wow.gif
Do I look like a mechanic??????
I finally told them I had to get back to work since I am the Innkeeper.....not just a share holder.....( naturally I told them in a nice way, you just never know who they might send my way....)
They got back into their Motorhome and looked over some brochures. Since I had no customers at the moment, I did not worry about it too much.
But when I noticed that they were also using my WIFI which is for my PAYING guests, I about blew a gasket....but, instead of throwing a fit unleashing the monster within me, I just accidentally tripped over that darn plug in for the router....Oh my, I hope it did not cost them any inconveniences.....as soon as the connection was interrupted they left......
Nerves they have......

You do get them don't you?
It's something to do with you and motorized vehicles, isn't it?
wink_smile.gif

You really should secure your wifi with a password and that wouldn't happen. You only give it to your guests.

Wait...you don't password protect your Wifi? You should consider doing so. Just post the password in an area inside your home that only your guests have access to. Make sure you change it regularly (ie. weekly).

Wait...you don't password protect your Wifi? You should consider doing so. Just post the password in an area inside your home that only your guests have access to. Make sure you change it regularly (ie. weekly)..
I don't really need a password here since we are in the middle of the woods. Closest neighbors are too far away to connect to us.
If I go into my farthest room I can still receive it but the signal is already weakening.
I never thought that someone would sit in my parking lot and use it. If there is someone just to come up to use my WIFI I would for sure notice them and chase them off...:)

You really should secure your wifi with a password and that wouldn't happen. You only give it to your guests..
I tried a password before and I could not get it to work.....so I left it.
If I'd be in a city with close neighbors I would have one for sure...

You really should secure your wifi with a password and that wouldn't happen. You only give it to your guests..
I tried a password before and I could not get it to work.....so I left it.
If I'd be in a city with close neighbors I would have one for sure...
I don't have a password on the wi fi here either. Tried it and none of the guests could figure it out so I just gave up. I havn't had any issues with it being unprotected.

"I never thought that someone would sit in my parking lot and use it."
They found you somehow and did exactly that.
Imagine if they were really experienced hackers and were financing their travels with stolen identities gleaned from the hard drives and business records of various businesses with unsecure Wi-Fi hotspots?

Wait...you don't password protect your Wifi? You should consider doing so. Just post the password in an area inside your home that only your guests have access to. Make sure you change it regularly (ie. weekly)..
I don't really need a password here since we are in the middle of the woods. Closest neighbors are too far away to connect to us.
If I go into my farthest room I can still receive it but the signal is already weakening.
I never thought that someone would sit in my parking lot and use it. If there is someone just to come up to use my WIFI I would for sure notice them and chase them off...:)
I use the three router system I've described on here before. My guest wifi is wide open (no passwords needed). My personal computers are behind another router that is locked down. The two can't see each other. The only risk is to guests seeing each others computers, but that risk would be the same whether the wifi is password protected or not.

I use the three router system I've described on here before. My guest wifi is wide open (no passwords needed). My personal computers are behind another router that is locked down. The two can't see each other. The only risk is to guests seeing each others computers, but that risk would be the same whether the wifi is password protected or not.
swirt said:
I have a single router and use a Ubiquiti transmitter to beam the wifi signal to the cottages. I get pretty good coverage even with all the trees.
I had a professional installation, so I don't understand the configuration, but I do know that no one can see anyone else on the network. I can monitor the network activity from my Macintosh, which is wirelessly connected to the network. The net work is password protected with the password available on a small tent-fold on the desk in each room.

You would be surprised. I know lots of kids who search the streets for wi fi

Beware of clusters of kids. At the library and home and school they have filters, outside your house they don't.
It is not difficult to make the password the phone number of your BnB. Simple for guests to use.

swirt said:
I have a single router and use a Ubiquiti transmitter to beam the wifi signal to the cottages. I get pretty good coverage even with all the trees.
I had a professional installation, so I don't understand the configuration, but I do know that no one can see anyone else on the network. I can monitor the network activity from my Macintosh, which is wirelessly connected to the network. The net work is password protected with the password available on a small tent-fold on the desk in each room.
I have a single router and use a Ubiquiti transmitter to beam the wifi signal to the cottages. I get pretty good coverage even with all the trees. I had a professional installation, so I don't understand the configuration, but I do know that no one can see anyone else on the network.
Maybe there is a piece of the puzzle missing here, but usually any computers on the same router are generally discoverable.
Its not a big worry though. Even if they are all discoverable, as long as your computers are password protected and have decent antivirus and firewalls in place then it is unlikely you'll have a breech from within your own property.

Back