When you wish they wouldn't bother

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Guests who damn with faint praise. Short review, didn't say much but then says the lounge could use an update. A guest who didn't say 3 words to us for 4 days.
Very next day repeat guests who haven't been here in awhile- 'WOW! Love what you've done with the place! It looks gorgeous. You stripped the old wallpaper and got all new furniture.' Will they write a review exclaiming how wonderful everything looks? Not a chance.
And I'm not sure how much more updated the lounge could get than NEW! Ugh.

Why don't you ask them to write a review saying that it's the best appreciation of the work that you do. And send them a reminder with a link as well. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Why don't you ask them to write a review saying that it's the best appreciation of the work that you do. And send them a reminder with a link as well. It doesn't hurt to ask..
I did that for 2 years. It got me a total of, maybe, 60 reviews. Thousands of guests, 60 reviews, relatively few of them from repeats. Repeats come back, they think that's enough.
I am resigned now to taking what comes along. Asking hasn't really gotten me much more than not asking would have.

Why don't you ask them to write a review saying that it's the best appreciation of the work that you do. And send them a reminder with a link as well. It doesn't hurt to ask..
I did that for 2 years. It got me a total of, maybe, 60 reviews. Thousands of guests, 60 reviews, relatively few of them from repeats. Repeats come back, they think that's enough.
I am resigned now to taking what comes along. Asking hasn't really gotten me much more than not asking would have.
It never hurts to ask... don't beg, just ask. Something like "If you enjoyed your stay we would be every so happy is you would tell others..."
It's not how many reviews it's how new they are. You can't bribe them to review, but you can certainly thank them if they do it on their own.

It never hurts to ask... don't beg, just ask. Something like "If you enjoyed your stay we would be every so happy is you would tell others..."
It's not how many reviews it's how new they are. You can't bribe them to review, but you can certainly thank them if they do it on their own.
Yup, that's pretty much what we said. I thought it would work to get us some fresh reviews. The last few were after I stoppped asking. I can't even send an email off to guests who stay 3-4 times/year and ask for a review. I get back an email with 'as usual we had a wonderful time!'
We have quite the following. But they don't live their lives online.

It's a good review. Think it's funny that if you look at the others they wrote they gave everyone the exact same rating. They said nice things, they mention that their one "less than stellar" is minor...I say take it and run!

It's a good review. Think it's funny that if you look at the others they wrote they gave everyone the exact same rating. They said nice things, they mention that their one "less than stellar" is minor...I say take it and run!.
I hadn't had a chance to read the rest of them but noticed they were 4's so I figured ok that's what you rate everything.

Back