When your brain goes blank

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For us it is an hour to 2 hours before as it depends on the breakfast. Can't set the table the night before as it is on an outdoor terrace ... our guests eat outside off our living room.
Dishes are put out on the counter the night before, we do not offer early coffee unless a guest wanders in or the dogs tell us someone is up and outside (as soon as they go out their door they are on the terrace) and they ask for a cup
"We'll take it over by the pool over there" - (lol first they are taking from my pot of coffee not always a good thing to do) - of course I say, (not like I am doing anything any way ... like cooking your breakfast) I'll be right out with it.
regular_smile.gif

My partner in crime does the fruit prep and clean-up and I do the pan dulce of the day (no longer make sweet bread) and the egg dish. I make home made bread the day before as I do not like getting up at 5:30 to make bread. Sorry.
We are one day going to take a picture of our table setting(s) and I would love to share them with you ... we are fortunate enough to serve from Talavera pottery and Mexican style glass wear so the table is usually colourful.
Cathy.
I would LOVE to see your table setting....sounds wonderful to eat out on a terrace :)
Tomorrow is a little tricky since it's just me on a weekday without dh to serve. I have one room eating at 8 AM & then have an en suite breakfast delivery in our other house at 8:30 AM, so I will probably plate everything on one plate tomorrow for the 8 AM folks (one is a vegan, too so it's a little different). The earlier breakfast has to be out of here by 8:30, so they won't be lingering.
We have guests this weekend, so will have to try and take the time for a photo of the table set up ... Just a bit of organization will be all that it takes. :)

Don't even ask. Just set up the plates for the number of guests you have, and plate the same thing. We've had 137 guests so far. And, not one guest has asked for something else.
Amazing.

Don't even ask. Just set up the plates for the number of guests you have, and plate the same thing. We've had 137 guests so far. And, not one guest has asked for something else.
Amazing..
trishany said:
Amazing.
I hate throwing food in the trash! If I don't have to waste bread and meat on guests who don't want it, I'd rather look like a compete ditz than have someone look at the plate and say, 'I don't want that.'
Tonight we have long time repeats coming in. All she wants is a scrambled egg with a little cheese in it. She wouldn't touch the french toast on a dare.
It's good if guests want what's fed to them, but I'd rather do a little advance work and give them just what they're going to eat!

For us it is an hour to 2 hours before as it depends on the breakfast. Can't set the table the night before as it is on an outdoor terrace ... our guests eat outside off our living room.
Dishes are put out on the counter the night before, we do not offer early coffee unless a guest wanders in or the dogs tell us someone is up and outside (as soon as they go out their door they are on the terrace) and they ask for a cup
"We'll take it over by the pool over there" - (lol first they are taking from my pot of coffee not always a good thing to do) - of course I say, (not like I am doing anything any way ... like cooking your breakfast) I'll be right out with it.
regular_smile.gif

My partner in crime does the fruit prep and clean-up and I do the pan dulce of the day (no longer make sweet bread) and the egg dish. I make home made bread the day before as I do not like getting up at 5:30 to make bread. Sorry.
We are one day going to take a picture of our table setting(s) and I would love to share them with you ... we are fortunate enough to serve from Talavera pottery and Mexican style glass wear so the table is usually colourful.
Cathy.
I would LOVE to see your table setting....sounds wonderful to eat out on a terrace :)
Tomorrow is a little tricky since it's just me on a weekday without dh to serve. I have one room eating at 8 AM & then have an en suite breakfast delivery in our other house at 8:30 AM, so I will probably plate everything on one plate tomorrow for the 8 AM folks (one is a vegan, too so it's a little different). The earlier breakfast has to be out of here by 8:30, so they won't be lingering.
We have guests this weekend, so will have to try and take the time for a photo of the table set up ... Just a bit of organization will be all that it takes. :)
YAY! Will look forward to see what breakfast looks like at the Casa :)

Amazing..
trishany said:
Amazing.
I hate throwing food in the trash! If I don't have to waste bread and meat on guests who don't want it, I'd rather look like a compete ditz than have someone look at the plate and say, 'I don't want that.'
Tonight we have long time repeats coming in. All she wants is a scrambled egg with a little cheese in it. She wouldn't touch the french toast on a dare.
It's good if guests want what's fed to them, but I'd rather do a little advance work and give them just what they're going to eat!
I just can't believe that guests would be that rude to say "I don't want that!" That is unreal to me. What would their Mama say?? :)
I still think that you make more work for yourself than you need to. Just plate it up & serve it - if they leave it on their plate, so be it. If folks here say that they've got a lot of food, I just tell them that I'm not their Mom & they don't have to be a member of The Clean Plate Club
teeth_smile.gif
I figure the cost of breakfast is built into the room rates & it's up to them to just eat what they please.
I have cut back on the serving sizes of a few things because I was just giving people too much food (mostly on the sweet breakfasts - egg dishes are generally more popular here) :)

regular_smile.gif

Cathy.
YAY! Will look forward to see what breakfast looks like at the Casa :)
I am hoping one of my guests really does email me the pix she took of breakfast this morning. She rearranged all her fruit on her french toast and made a big happy face with it. It was so cute!

Amazing..
trishany said:
Amazing.
I just can't believe that guests would be that rude to say "I don't want that!" That is unreal to me. What would their Mama say?? :)
I still think that you make more work for yourself than you need to. Just plate it up & serve it - if they leave it on their plate, so be it. If folks here say that they've got a lot of food, I just tell them that I'm not their Mom & they don't have to be a member of The Clean Plate Club
teeth_smile.gif
I figure the cost of breakfast is built into the room rates & it's up to them to just eat what they please.
I have cut back on the serving sizes of a few things because I was just giving people too much food (mostly on the sweet breakfasts - egg dishes are generally more popular here) :)
Samster said:
Yes, that is true. I still can't do it. And it makes the guests uncomfortable to hand me a plate of what they don't want. They apologize. I'd rather not have that happen.
It's hard enough tossing 2 full pots of coffee and I don't even like coffee!

I know Bree. With the price of food now, you must hate throwing it away. We have two built- in garbage disposals -- two saint bernards, who wait patiently (with their big heads on paws) until guests are finished, then they get the leftovers.
They eat fruit too -- A note: for those of you who have dogs, and give them leftovers, please don't give them grapes. They can't digest grapes and will make them sick.
And, Samster, we think we give the guests too much, too. But, they'll eat as much as they want, and then the two behemouths get the rest.
Also, But, we just opened LAST Memrl. Day. The best advertising is word of mouth. So it's nice if the guests tell others that we serve enormous breakfasts. For now, anyway.

Why do you do it to yourself Bree, you are not a diner!
Serve it up, they eat it or not. That is what I would do and I DO. There is not enough time in the day to stuff around with people. You are bringing them a fresh hot delicious meal. Don't let those old fuddy-duddies ruin your morning.
My theory - they had a big fat greasy dinner - so they don't want it. On second thought, it sounds kinda good I will burn it off hiking...whatever.
Serve it up. Fat people get bigger portions and skinny people get slim portions? NOPE. Everybody gets the same. Same toast. Same Quiche. Typically it is the skinny binny's who are out jogging at 5am and eat like horses. You never know if people even eat breakfast at home and really only want a cup of coffee.
Can you tell I am impatient in this arena? NAWWWWW.
devil_smile.gif

Breakfast is at 8, I get up at 7. Set table the night before, prep as much as I can. In the AM I put main course in oven, meanwhile fix fruit cups, juices, etc.
This is something I can do that many of you might not be able to - I have the coffee in another area, not in the kitchen or dining room. So the lights are left OFF in the dining room. Oftentimes people wander in and then wander right on out. Sometimes they will put their cup by a place and leave.
But if you are setting up in the same area as guests are gettting coffee, like George used to do in PA where his kitchen was wide open and guests thought it was their luxury to talk to him while he cooked! (I would go nuts at that, and burn myself beyond recognition).
Guests think it is a simple thing to prepare and cook food for a whole house full of people for some reason. We are jut wandering around, in their eyes.

Yes, that is true. I still can't do it. And it makes the guests uncomfortable to hand me a plate of what they don't want. They apologize. I'd rather not have that happen.
NO!!!! No guests better hand you a thing! PLEASE I cannot even believe this. Guests pick up a plate and hand you something they don't want?
Serve it and leave them to it.
I was at a B&B in WV last Nov and as I sat there - the innkeeper on this forum told me a man waltzed into the kitchen and handed them his food and said he wouldn't eat such and such.
I sat there and mondboggled to think anyone could have such a lack of manners to do such a thing. This B&B is select rego and very nice. There is no marching into their kitchen!
I have a photo of my niece visiting from Seattle with a mouthful of steamed cauliflower after she warned me that if she eats it she will vomit.
I told her I want to see her vomit. She chewed it and swallowed it no problem after making a few faces. (I mention steamed as it was not soggy and gross, it was nice and firm like most kids will eat)
If she grows up and goes to a B&B and refuses to eat some delicious meal that the innkeeper worked hard over - then let it be on her head! (Literally aye!)

NO!!!! No guests better hand you a thing! PLEASE I cannot even believe this. Guests pick up a plate and hand you something they don't want?
I was at a B&B in WV last Nov and as I sat there - the innkeeper on this forum told me a man waltzed into the kitchen and handed them his food and said he wouldn't eat such and such.
I sat there and mondboggled to think anyone could have such a lack of manners to do such a thing. This B&B is select rego and very nice. There is no marching into their kitchen!
I have a photo of my niece visiting from Seattle with a mouthful of steamed cauliflower after she warned me that if she eats it she will vomit.
I told her I want to see her vomit. She chewed it and swallowed it no problem after making a few faces. (I mention steamed as it was not soggy and gross, it was nice and firm like most kids will eat)
If she grows up and goes to a B&B and refuses to eat some delicious meal that the innkeeper worked hard over - then let it be on her head! (Literally aye!).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Sorry, I meant that when I go to collect the plates when they are 'done' they hand the mostly full plate back and apologize for not eating whatever. (The toast, the sausage, the quiche, whatever is left.) Which is why I ask. This morning I would have gotten back: 2 slices of quiche, 6 slices of toast, 12 sausages if I hadn't asked everyone what they wanted with the quiche.)

Serve it up, they eat it or not. That is what I would do and I DO. There is not enough time in the day to stuff around with people. You are bringing them a fresh hot delicious meal. Don't let those old fuddy-duddies ruin your morning.
My theory - they had a big fat greasy dinner - so they don't want it. On second thought, it sounds kinda good I will burn it off hiking...whatever.
Serve it up. Fat people get bigger portions and skinny people get slim portions? NOPE. Everybody gets the same. Same toast. Same Quiche. Typically it is the skinny binny's who are out jogging at 5am and eat like horses. You never know if people even eat breakfast at home and really only want a cup of coffee.
devil_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Serve it up, they eat it or not.
This is why I ask about food allergies, to try to cut down on what we make that guests won't/can't eat. Some 'diets' I respect. The guests are clear that they can't eat something and they don't ask me to go nuts for them. The one this weekend with the 'scrambed egg only' that is all she ever wants. She's a good, repeat guest, is polite, takes care that her dogs are well-behaved and that's all she asks for. Of course she is going to get that!
But, I just can't serve good food to guests who just don't want it. Maybe it all goes back to my own childhood and having foods (and lots of it) put in front of me and left there for me to eat, like it or not, able to fit it all in or not.
So, I ask. 'Would you like toast and sausage with the quiche?' Generally a fairly easy question. Some days I'm just not awake!
I don't entertain answers like, 'Can I have pancakes instead?' You can have any combo of quiche-sausage-toast, that's it.
OK, am I really so far off here? Does no one else ask questions like this? I guess I just don't like it when a plate of something is thrust in front of me that is totally NOT something I want. I'd rather have the choice to decline instead of having the cook think it doesn't taste right!

I do get food left on the plates... I throw it away. I have cut down on the portion sizes and have reduced the wastage. If they are members of the clean plate club, I offer more food, but rarely do I get anyone who wants second helpings. The cost of the food is figured in with their stay and if they leave the table hungry, it's their own fault. :)

devil_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
This is why I ask about food allergies, to try to cut down on what we make that guests won't/can't eat. Some 'diets' I respect. The guests are clear that they can't eat something and they don't ask me to go nuts for them. The one this weekend with the 'scrambed egg only' that is all she ever wants. She's a good, repeat guest, is polite, takes care that her dogs are well-behaved and that's all she asks for. Of course she is going to get that!
But, I just can't serve good food to guests who just don't want it. Maybe it all goes back to my own childhood and having foods (and lots of it) put in front of me and left there for me to eat, like it or not, able to fit it all in or not.
So, I ask. 'Would you like toast and sausage with the quiche?' Generally a fairly easy question. Some days I'm just not awake!
I don't entertain answers like, 'Can I have pancakes instead?' You can have any combo of quiche-sausage-toast, that's it.
OK, am I really so far off here? Does no one else ask questions like this? I guess I just don't like it when a plate of something is thrust in front of me that is totally NOT something I want. I'd rather have the choice to decline instead of having the cook think it doesn't taste right!
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
You are in the wrong business. Have you not been to a restaurant and ordered something and it came out different than what you thought and decided you didn't want to it. Or you go with someone who orders and never intends on eating even half of it? This is the world these days. Don't even think of visiting a boo-fay or you will be disgusted. I can't take it. I know someone - who takes it at a boo-fay, walks to the table and complains it is cold and throws it away. Awful.
The thing is you are asking, so the guests think ASKING means OPTION/CHOICE. Isn't that usually why you are asked? Oj or cranberry?
In a home you are asked DO YOU WANT SOME OJ? Not typically choices like in a lodging situation.

I do get food left on the plates... I throw it away. I have cut down on the portion sizes and have reduced the wastage. If they are members of the clean plate club, I offer more food, but rarely do I get anyone who wants second helpings. The cost of the food is figured in with their stay and if they leave the table hungry, it's their own fault. :).
greyswan said:
I do get food left on the plates... I throw it away. I have cut down on the portion sizes and have reduced the wastage. If they are members of the clean plate club, I offer more food, but rarely do I get anyone who wants second helpings. The cost of the food is figured in with their stay and if they leave the table hungry, it's their own fault. :)
Another reason I seem to have the three or four standby breakfasts now. No more trying to make something that someone might not like. Just the basics, k.i.s.s. so noone is worried they might get something "foreign" or gor-met. Pretty bad isn't it! But that is where we are here. We don't charge enough for gor-met offerings.

devil_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
You can have any combo of quiche-sausage-toast, that's it.
If I had your setup, I'd ask the same question. Because we only have the four rooms I put it on a serving platter and let people serve themselves. I hate waste, and I would hate being given food I won't eat and therefore being the cause of the waste.
That said, I would take all three and eat them all...
=)
Kk.

If she grows up and goes to a B&B and refuses to eat some delicious meal that the innkeeper worked hard over - then let it be on her head! (Literally aye!).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Sorry, I meant that when I go to collect the plates when they are 'done' they hand the mostly full plate back and apologize for not eating whatever. (The toast, the sausage, the quiche, whatever is left.) Which is why I ask. This morning I would have gotten back: 2 slices of quiche, 6 slices of toast, 12 sausages if I hadn't asked everyone what they wanted with the quiche.)
I ask at check-in about the food thing & particularly ask about meat...end of discussion. Do you eat the breakfast meat of the South, pork, in all its forms? Longer stay - lady has said all the food is fabulous here...she always picks some element out. Some people are just that way!! It's like they HAVE TO be picky. Ya know what I mean? Either for attention or something. A true allergy, dislike, food restriction...fine & dandy, but then there are the people that just have to be like that. haha! It doesn't worry me or bother me about being wasteful because they've paid for it. So, truly their choice.
btw - I've found that even here, people really prefer bacon over any kind of sausage.

If I had a round table and there were 6 or less I would do family style. The only thing is you have to provide MORE for that than you do on a plate. The plates you can garnish with the fruit and flowers and herbs.
The bennie of that is here are the eggs, yes scrambled eggs - you can eat them or not. If I did this I would have to do like all the favorite very popular family style places do in and about this area and bring out more if they want more. There are a few places within an hour where people drive in from all over to eat like this.

devil_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
No, in my opinion, you are not "far off" about asking people if they want ..... I serve family-style so they can take as much or as little without wasting. I am soooo glad I have a small inn! I could not give the attention I want to give to my guest's needs if I had more rooms.
The gentlemen that left this morning told me I went beyond expectations and took care of every detail. And the birthday boy was thanking me for making him a chocolate cake (which I wrapped up for them to take home). That sure perked me up.
You are paying attention to detail and giving the guest what HE wants by asking a simple would you like sausage and/or toast. It may be easier to just give whatever, but by asking you acknowledge how important the wants of that guest are to you. Guests (from my experience her) do not like to be wasteful and the "light eaters" apologize for not eating more until I assure them nothing is wasted in this house.

Back