When your town knows you own an inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
You can never just zip into the grocery store without being stopped, asked how is business and then have them try to sell you something that they know you just cannot live without (or your guests).
They know nothing about your B&B, they think your guests are all relatives of people in this town, so for some reason they think you OWE THEM. They have NO CLUE that they (the community) are reaping the bennies of "quality" out-of-towners bringing money into this area. They have no idea how much you promote the area, how much you sell online to bring people in from this nation, continent and overseas.
Some days I feel like I have a big red TARGET on my forehead.
There is no use explaining anything to them, I just say good, lots of work and try to squeeze past them with my cart. And as you know, we are at the grocery store often...and usually in a tight time frame so have a list and want to get in and out in a hurry.
(sorry just needed to ventilate here for a moment)

How big is your town people-wise? I ask because we've been getting our hair cut (both of us) at the same place for over 5 years. Every single time I go in there, they kind of know who I am, sort of and then it takes awhile before she says, 'You own that breakfast place, right?' Because a few innkeepers go there, she has no idea who goes with who so she'll ask me about such and such which I know is a different place. She always calls it a 'bread and breakfast' so I really think she thinks it's a breakfast restaurant.
Now, the grocery store is another thing altogether. If my partner misses a day at the store in town, the checkout girls all ask next time, 'Have you been cheating on us with the other grocery store?'

Oh the hair and those have no idea there IS A B&B in this town. It is one way or the other. No idea.
One clerk at this particular store who is a gossip queen and I avoid her line or go home asking everyone:
"Did you know an illegal alien died in the rafters running electrical wiring at walmart?"
or
"Did you know a copperhead came in the loading dock at walmart and bit three people before it was caught?"
Yeah, that is what I get, so I have to be very careful WHAT IS ASKED OF ME.
PS Those prev two examples were truly what I was told.

Oh the hair and those have no idea there IS A B&B in this town. It is one way or the other. No idea.
One clerk at this particular store who is a gossip queen and I avoid her line or go home asking everyone:
"Did you know an illegal alien died in the rafters running electrical wiring at walmart?"
or
"Did you know a copperhead came in the loading dock at walmart and bit three people before it was caught?"
PS Those prev two examples were truly what I was told..
Joey Bloggs said:

Why bother? It's obvious she says whatever comes into her head. Maybe people get a kick out of telling her made up stuff to see how long before they hear it somewhere else. Next time tell her you are getting an award as your business single handedly brought in more tax revenue than any other business in town.
Or, that someone famous has stayed at your B&B. Pick someone who would matter in your town. 'I can tell you now that they've gone... It was quite exciting.'

Back