Where do your old linen/towels go to die?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abnormandy

Reaction score
Like many of you, I'm super fussy about having nice white linens and towels. We've just had our third summer season (we're really seasonal) and some of the towels (about 20) and some of the linens are ready for retirement. Some have slight marks on them, some have tiny frays at the edge. Nothing is major and I'm pretty sure most guests wouldn't notice/worry - but I worry keeping up standards as we charge a premium in our area. So, what do you do with your old towels and linens? Previously the towels have gone to the local dog rescue (which I'm happy with) but not sure they need white sheets too! Merci and a very merry and prosperous 2018 to you all!

Facecloths and hand towels are dyed and become rags. Bath towels are offered to housekeeping and then given to charity. Same with the sheets, though we sometimes put them on Craigslist Free for pick up.

Sheets (queen-size) come downstairs. Towels also. Sheets & towels that are still "in-service" but older get donated to help when local families have a fire (happens to often). I have some older towels in the shed for motorcyclists (and car fanatics) to wipe down their machines on a dewy morning or after washing them. My place isn't large enough to need the Mission to receive them. I did give the Mission all the full-size linens when the last bed of that size left here.

We have a halfway house in the next town. I give them all the bedding. They either use it for their clients in house or give it to them to start off in their new home.
We've given them hundreds of sheets, towels, blankets, quilts, etc in 10 years' time.
Check with local shelters as well. People, not animal. :)
We use the 'ok' towels for beach towels for guests. But, they are not white towels, they're navy blue.
Some of the bedding I have grabbed for my own. Either it doesn't match the room any longer or it's too old fashioned or whatever. (I have one I really like that a guest burned a hole in with an iron. It's ok for me to use, but a guest might flip it over and see the damage.)

Facecloths and hand towels are dyed and become rags. Bath towels are offered to housekeeping and then given to charity. Same with the sheets, though we sometimes put them on Craigslist Free for pick up..
Generic said:
Facecloths and hand towels are dyed and become rags. Bath towels are offered to housekeeping and then given to charity. Same with the sheets, though we sometimes put them on Craigslist Free for pick up.
Yup. I don't dye them, but I clip the corner.
I made table runners that then got cut up and used under the juice bottles then hit the duster bag. About 10 years they've been making the rounds.

I offer them to chambermaids - each season go through them looking for stains and piling, etc. They are always thrilled to have them once they understand there is absolutely no shame in taking them. It's just that they aren't pristine ... like a faint 'clean stain' that just won't come out and can't be put on a guest bed. I am not embarrassed to say I kept a lovely sheet set for myself that has the hint of body bronzer on an edge.
I am clearing out a house right now (still) ...
I donate to Big Brothers Big Sisters who come and pick it up, in addition to small appliances and things. At the discretion of the driver, items might be left behind.
Anything seriously mangled like a ripped sheet goes into a textile recycling bin.

Facecloths and hand towels are dyed and become rags. Bath towels are offered to housekeeping and then given to charity. Same with the sheets, though we sometimes put them on Craigslist Free for pick up..
Generic said:
I made table runners that then got cut up and used under the juice bottles then hit the duster bag. About 10 years they've been making the rounds.
The one fight with my housekeeper. I don't like them cut up, threads go everywhere. But she's keeping the house clean, so I give in.

Generic said:
The one fight with my housekeeper. I don't like them cut up, threads go everywhere. But she's keeping the house clean, so I give in.
Generic said:
I find that with the pillow cases I rip up. Usually takes a couple of washes before all the thready bits are gone.

All mine go to a charity shop in town. The manager is a neighbor of ours and she tells me it's mostly other B&B owners that buy them.
omg_smile.gif

Generic said:
Generic said:
I find that with the pillow cases I rip up. Usually takes a couple of washes before all the thready bits are gone.
We put an X on the rag towels with black magic marker.
Sheets either go to us or the housekeepers.

All mine go to a charity shop in town. The manager is a neighbor of ours and she tells me it's mostly other B&B owners that buy them.
omg_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
omg_smile.gif
LOL You must have some REALLY NICE linens! That is so funny.
shades_smile.gif
I stayed in a place in Moidart, Scotland and some of the sheets were torn at the bottom - a housekeeping cottage so you changed the bed yourself and laundered everything - I am short and did not mind the raggedy edges but my taller traveling companions were not happy, getting their toes tangled in holes. Maybe they were your castoffs! :) probably not, but funny to think so.

omg_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
omg_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
I stayed in a place in Moidart, Scotland and some of the sheets were torn at the bottom - a housekeeping cottage so you changed the bed yourself and laundered everything - I am short and did not mind the raggedy edges but my taller traveling companions were not happy, getting their toes tangled in holes. Maybe they were your castoffs! :) probably not, but funny to think so.
seashanty said:
Highlands John said:
omg_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
Maybe I should have a tag-line on our website of "Our towels are so fine that other B&Bs use what we throw out"

At the NE inn it supplies the owner's children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren with all their towels and sheets.

omg_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
omg_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
seashanty said:
Highlands John said:
omg_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
Maybe I should have a tag-line on our website of "Our towels are so fine that other B&Bs use what we throw out"
Highlands John said:
That provided a much needed laugh! Basil-worthy!

Old and not stained or threadbare go to the vacation rental. Next stop after lightly stained they get put in the 'dog towel' basket for the canine loving guests. After that they get used for shop and painting rags.

I just found blankets that are so old I don't recognize them. They appear to be wool. Thinking I might run them thru the wash and then use them for batting on quilts.
Or, give them to the dog shelter. Depends on how they hold up in the wash. (Yes, I know I may end up with very dense baby blankets.)

Ours have probably been changed in larger blocks over the years as we decorated and updated, usually went to kids and grandkids with extras going to neighbors or donated, with some towels/washcloths going to my workshop and rougher blankets/spreads getting saved as potential drop cloths the next time I paint.

Washcloths and hand towels become cleaning rags. Bath towels become my dogs' bath towels or they're cut up for messy jobs (like cleaning up after staining the deck). Bed linens become drop cloths for painting & repairs. Worn out blankets end up on our bed, into our our dogs' beds, or used for picnics. :)

Back