Where does SEO leave the little guy? - INN the news 07.09.08 Gotta box clever folks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
The tourism and travel sectors have long embraced the potential of search engines, and as such, are probably the most evolved and internet-savvy industry in the country today, with Bob’s Bed and Breakfast having had a strong internet presence long before corporates in South Africa had even heard of Google and the world wide web. (excerpt)
Where does SEO leave the little guy?
Tech Leader - Johannesburg,Gauteng,South Africa
... are probably the most evolved and internet-savvy industry in the country today, with Bob’s Bed and Breakfast having had a strong internet presence long ...

(If link doesn't work above - click here)
In today’s world however, this is virtually impossible, what with the massive and ever growing amount of competing websites, together with newer and constantly evolving search engine algorithms which favour larger websites with more content.

Excerpt: Then, putting on your SEM cap, make sure that Bob’s Bed and Breakfast is well represented on the various industry-specific directories and social bookmark websites. If you’re marketing an accommodation establishment for example, getting listed on the likes of Gumtree and Craigslist is a must. Set up accounts on the likes of Facebook, try and attract and hold on to group members and fans through regular specials and promotions, made exclusive to them.
Does anyone cater to these groups? Gumtree being the UK coutnerpart to Craigslist.

Excerpt: Then, putting on your SEM cap, make sure that Bob’s Bed and Breakfast is well represented on the various industry-specific directories and social bookmark websites. If you’re marketing an accommodation establishment for example, getting listed on the likes of Gumtree and Craigslist is a must. Set up accounts on the likes of Facebook, try and attract and hold on to group members and fans through regular specials and promotions, made exclusive to them.
Does anyone cater to these groups? Gumtree being the UK coutnerpart to Craigslist. .
Does anyone cater to these groups? Gumtree being the UK coutnerpart to Craigslist.
No. I equate listing my inn on craigslist to listing on eBay. I will discount any discount I am going to do, not let someone treat my place like the only way I can sell rooms is at an auction where everyone is expecting a "bargain".

K, see that is not right thinking necessarily as eBay people buy a potato chip for 10,000 bucks! Don't look at it as a discount store. People SHOP THERE like they do any other store. Not for bargains, but for variety. It is what it is. eBay is the way many peole shop ALL the time. Hard to grasp, I know, but it is true.

K, see that is not right thinking necessarily as eBay people buy a potato chip for 10,000 bucks! Don't look at it as a discount store. People SHOP THERE like they do any other store. Not for bargains, but for variety. It is what it is. eBay is the way many peole shop ALL the time. Hard to grasp, I know, but it is true..
I shop there for stuff I can't get at the store... like ice tea spoons that match my silver plate set, a cigar cutter for dh, paraphernalia from Ashland College (as it's now a university). It never occurred to me to shop for lodging, but I did get my business cards there, because someone else recommended them.
=)
Kk.

K, see that is not right thinking necessarily as eBay people buy a potato chip for 10,000 bucks! Don't look at it as a discount store. People SHOP THERE like they do any other store. Not for bargains, but for variety. It is what it is. eBay is the way many peole shop ALL the time. Hard to grasp, I know, but it is true..
I shop eBay for items and partly because I hope to find a bargain. Unless I get caught up in the "gotta have" I usually do OK. I bought my Fostoria replacements, my Steubenville pottery dishes, my silverplate - all on eBay but a lodging? No, It would make me think of Expedia...

Does anyone cater to these groups? Gumtree being the UK coutnerpart to Craigslist. .
No. I equate listing my inn on craigslist to listing on eBay. I will discount any discount I am going to do, not let someone treat my place like the only way I can sell rooms is at an auction where everyone is expecting a "bargain".
eBay and Cragslist are not quite the same in that eBay is an international auction site and Craigslist is a set of localized want ads / classifieds sites. So it is more akin to listing in your local PennySaver or similar want ad / free paper. It doesn't have to be a bargain, though everyone loves a discount ;)
It could be an avenue for those who are likely to house relatives of townsfolk or other local connections and local getaways. If you are in more of a tourist type location then you aren't as likely to attract a lot of those types of travellers from a Craigslist listing. The method for viewing listings on Craigslist is not conducive to travelers. No maps, no town by town lists, no activities lists....

I gotta say, that ebay was very good to us for our first few years. Gift certificates sold like hotcakes, and that money carried us through our first couple of spare winters. In addition, ebay was in the top three referrers to our website back then, above bbonline.com.
I don't sell on there anymore, as it's just become to expensive, but we have a pretty large bunch of repeat guests that first found us through ebay and they are just wonderful, nary a problem!

Back