Where is your laundry room located?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini

Reaction score
Our washer and dryer are presently located in the the worst possible spot! The kitchen. How inconvenient!
We are presently renovating both the kitchen and the basement which is exciting me because we can replace the washer and dryer with 2 large fridges and have a large laundry room in the basement.
The nice thing about this is we can do a lot of this work while guests are still in the house since it is behind doors they never get to peek in.
DH just informed me today that he is going to make a laundry chute from the second floor to the basement. Still, there will be stairs to climb, but more ideal than the kitchen.
Where is your laundry room located and does it require climbing several sets of stairs each day to get the job done? Ideally it would be better to have a room off the kitchen to do laundry, but that is not going to happen.

Our laundry is down a short hall from the kitchen. I find this to be ideal since it is away from the guests but conveniently located where I spend a good part of my day. And no stairs is a bonus!

I think I have you beat as the worst location for the laundry room! Mine is just off the entry hall and is tiny! We have been discussing moving it and have a good location, just one glitch, the dryer vent location to figure out. Maybe our next off season project!

Ours is in the basemet of the cottage. I like it there, it works!

2 separate locations...one right off the kitchen and the other in the basement, so yes, both require lots of up and down the stairs all day.

No stairs, 2 laundry rooms. Main house, off the kitchen, then another one is attached to the Cottage. For once, this place had something right!

No stairs, 2 laundry rooms. Main house, off the kitchen, then another one is attached to the Cottage. For once, this place had something right!.
My parents built an addition to the house in the 1980's to get the laundry out of the basement and put a bedroom on the first floor so they could stay in the house even when they were too old to do stairs.
It's really amazing that both of those improvements done so long ago made it easier to convert this place.

our laundry room is in the walk out basement - not a lot of stairs. All rooms are on the ground floor.
Riki

My laundry room is in the kitchen to the right of the refrigerator. The refrigerator and the "island" where I have the coffee jars are the line of demarkation between laundry and kitchen - it sort of keeps them apart. I have a "laundry chute" from the second floor - I stand at the rail, call look out below and drop the linens. I do not have a basement (just a furnance room was dug out under the house), instead I have a crawl space that only a person in the third month of a hunger strike could fit under. My kitchen began life as the back porch so not only no insulation, I cannot get to the water lines to wrap them even. When we get predictions of single digit overnight, we pull an all-nighter to keep exercising the water lines in the kitchen and our bathroom. That is the night I do laundry all night.

In the basement. Works good for me. The noise is not heard by guest. Like Gillum House I drop laundry from my 2 second floor rooms to the 1st floor(3rd room is on the 1st floor). I have closelines in the basement also, if needed.

Our laundry room is in it's own room adjacent to the kitchen. It was very convenient for us. And allowed us to be on the same floor, but with doors closed to guests.

We recently gutted our one bathroom and stole a large area from a covered back porch, converting it into a mudroom/laundry room. This gives us convenient access from the outside back porch to the laundry room (since we have cottages) and we have access to our bathroom through a lockable pocket door. We designed our bathroom in such a way that it becomes a guest washroom during breakfast.

Our laundry room is down the hall and conveniently located away from guests. BUT - it also doubles as our tiny office. The room is long and narrow - two washers, 2 dryers along left wall, small toilet room on the right for us that's adjacent to a small storage closet for supplies and then a built in counter at the end of the room that's our office workspace. It's cramped, lint-y and is often messy. We keep many cleaning & repair supplies on shelves over the washers/dryers, so the washers/dryers often end up collecting odds-n-ends throughout the day. I so hate having to bring a guest in there to run their credit card and enter them in our reservatino book. When we get busier and are sticklers to our 3pm check-in, we'll have figured out a different procedure other than bringing them in there.

We send ours out but store it all in bags when dirty in what is an awfull add on at the back which is single skin and freezing in the winter. I would also say in the UK you arn't allowed to do laundry in your kitchen in a B&B - why I have no clue? but we have our personal washer and dryer in a utility room in the basement. The other room is on the ground floor for the B&B laundry which goes out through the front door onto a lorry which means we can get everything in and out in about 5 minutes. However it is our plan to knock the ugly kitchen add on down and then we will store all the linen in what is now room 5 bathroom which is on the first floor and will require a little bit of up and down but not any more than it was before.

2 washers, 2 dryers in the basement. Yes, I've got two flights of stairs to take dirties/cleans down/up, but it works for now. There are days, though, when I've done too much yard work, inside work and every other kind of work when my knees are just killing me and I just can't think of taking one more flight of stairs!
I wrap all the dirty linens into the fitted sheet and toss it down the stairs. This is one of the reasons I just hate when the guests try to 'help' by stripping the beds! So, that's pretty easy. I wish I could get the clean stuff up the steps just as easily. Ah! Gravity!!

2 washers, 2 dryers in the basement. Yes, I've got two flights of stairs to take dirties/cleans down/up, but it works for now. There are days, though, when I've done too much yard work, inside work and every other kind of work when my knees are just killing me and I just can't think of taking one more flight of stairs!
I wrap all the dirty linens into the fitted sheet and toss it down the stairs. This is one of the reasons I just hate when the guests try to 'help' by stripping the beds! So, that's pretty easy. I wish I could get the clean stuff up the steps just as easily. Ah! Gravity!!.
I toss them because I envision a corner of sheet or a towel slipping loose and me going butt over teacups down the stairs. So much safer to do the Look out below. Every now and then I forget to call out and have almost decked DH going through the hall. Ooops

Mine is in the basement. I have a laundry chute from the second floor... which ends in a different from from the laundry room. And yes, it's a long way from the basement to the third floor. Happily the ds8x2 are now big enough to send on trips upstairs. And it's always been their job to "move the mountain" from the bottom of the chute to the laundry area.
What you really want is something like my custom built ironing board. There's a picture somewhere on the forum if you do a search. Basically it's a shelf with a pull out countertop. The countertop is wrapped in terry cloth and unbleached muslim. It's four feet wide, which is wide enough to iron a king sized pillow case without having to move it. If I were to do it again I'd make it 4'6" as a king sized sheet folded in half drapes off the end.
Above the ironing board are three shelves, which I use for towels, and stacks by room, and the iron. Below are two more shelves which have laundry baskets for our personal clothes.
It's beyond awesome. If you've gotta do the stairs, at least you can iron in comfort.
Oh, and don't forget the electrical outlet right there next to it! And a space for sorting bins. (I have 9 categories in 4 bins, all from yard sales.)
=)
Kk.

Mine is in the basement. I have a laundry chute from the second floor... which ends in a different from from the laundry room. And yes, it's a long way from the basement to the third floor. Happily the ds8x2 are now big enough to send on trips upstairs. And it's always been their job to "move the mountain" from the bottom of the chute to the laundry area.
What you really want is something like my custom built ironing board. There's a picture somewhere on the forum if you do a search. Basically it's a shelf with a pull out countertop. The countertop is wrapped in terry cloth and unbleached muslim. It's four feet wide, which is wide enough to iron a king sized pillow case without having to move it. If I were to do it again I'd make it 4'6" as a king sized sheet folded in half drapes off the end.
Above the ironing board are three shelves, which I use for towels, and stacks by room, and the iron. Below are two more shelves which have laundry baskets for our personal clothes.
It's beyond awesome. If you've gotta do the stairs, at least you can iron in comfort.
Oh, and don't forget the electrical outlet right there next to it! And a space for sorting bins. (I have 9 categories in 4 bins, all from yard sales.)
=)
Kk..
Holy cow! The kids are 8???

=)
Kk..
Madeleine said:
Yup. And I've been open almost five years (counting the first year with just the two rooms, no sign). Amazing, isn't it?
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
Madeleine said:
Yup. And I've been open almost five years (counting the first year with just the two rooms, no sign). Amazing, isn't it?
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Madeleine said:
=)
Kk.
cheers.gif

Back