Where to list the Wifi Password?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
I have been traveling a lot so I am using Wifi at the hotels etc.
So why not just list it in the room info book on the front page or something? My own B&B, you have to ask. Dumb imo ( and soon to change).
One hotel had it in the room book it was on page three and everything was single spaced with no headers or paragraphs.. Hard to just browse to the location. Worse yet it was ten characters long with wierd symbols so he had to come to the room and show it to me.
The last hotel said it was not in the room and people just call. In this day and age why would you want people to call?
So my suggestion is separated at the bottom of the first info page -
Wifi password - HaveANiceStay
Can you tell this has hit the pet peeve level. I could not believe we made our guests call or find the innkeeper. I need to ask if it is a problem as I might be filling a hole that didn't need filling. hahaha

We have a plastic sign in the room with a short version of what they need to know. We leave the password BLANK on there and then we have a removable label that we stick on the plastic so we can change the password without having the change the signs.

Thank you. I also had not posted it - well I DID try at first with biz cards on the dressers with the password but they were ignored. I just printed up address labels with in 14 pt
WiFi Connection - *******
Password - *******
Thanks for choosing the Gillum House (in 10 pt)
It does not look "pretty" but I put the labels on the TV with a loop of packing tape rather than the label sticky. I am afraid the label sticky will over time become a permanent sticky. As i just did this, I will let you know how it works for the guests. I figure they WILL look at the TV.

we have it on the bulletin board near the coffee. and in the guest room in a picture frame standing on the bed. it used to be in the guest book but too hard to find.
you would think no one has ever stayed at a hotel before where they have everything in a guest book or on the desk near the phone or near the outlets for plugging in all of your electronics.
that's how many people ring the bell to ask us where the code is. i do wish more guests would be more self-reliant at midnight. look around. if you see you've been provided with so many things to make your stay EASIER, why would you think the access code would be hidden or only available by contacting the innkeeper?

I share the password location amongst other guest info on their bed. The only time they have an issue is when they ring the bell and say "It is not working" and I ask them which one? One says "PRIVATE" and One says "B&B GUEST WIFI" and you can guess the rest of the story...

Thank you. I also had not posted it - well I DID try at first with biz cards on the dressers with the password but they were ignored. I just printed up address labels with in 14 pt
WiFi Connection - *******
Password - *******
Thanks for choosing the Gillum House (in 10 pt)
It does not look "pretty" but I put the labels on the TV with a loop of packing tape rather than the label sticky. I am afraid the label sticky will over time become a permanent sticky. As i just did this, I will let you know how it works for the guests. I figure they WILL look at the TV..
We have ours on a label on the television, but we get asked constantly anyways. You'd think a white label at the bottom corner of a big, black, flat screen television would drawn some curious attention... but no...

I have it on the first page of the guest info, welcome letter and cards in the main lounge - and we still get asked. When I redo the ones for the back of the bedroom doors I will put it on there as well.

I have it in the guest info binder located on the guest bed, leaning up again their pillow so they have to have it in their hands at some time. The type is in big letters.
I never get asked for the password, and I think it's because when I'm checking them in and tell them about not having cell service, the next thing out of my mouth is "but we have wi-fi and the password is in your binder". They are SO relieved we have wi-fi, they remember where to find it!

I had little notepads in each room on the desk or table in the room. The network name and PW was written on the first page. I could just rip it out when we changed it and start over again.

Why have a password?.
Bob said:
Why have a password?
I have been told a large number of users will bog down the speed. I am across from the VFD, within a block of several restaurant, across from a funeral home parking lot.... too many possibles signing on.

because I'm on satellite and have limited bandwith and my neighbor across the road is too cheap to get satellite so uses dialup. Oh yeah...except for when I gave him my password to do something special. I realized later on he was still using it.

Well looks like I am not alone. I also wanted to go without a password but there are issues as we are near other properties.
The interesting thing is that in lots of industries the big dogs start to create "norms". I was at a Marriotte last night and they solve it by having their page load with their site. Then you login and it charges your room. $500/night and the wifi was extra. The bottles of water in the bathroom were marked $8 each.

Well looks like I am not alone. I also wanted to go without a password but there are issues as we are near other properties.
The interesting thing is that in lots of industries the big dogs start to create "norms". I was at a Marriotte last night and they solve it by having their page load with their site. Then you login and it charges your room. $500/night and the wifi was extra. The bottles of water in the bathroom were marked $8 each..
We had a biz guest call the other day to inquire about room rates. I told him the price and when he hesitated I mentioned there were no WiFi fees, no parking fees, breakfast was included and there would not be a random 'resort fee' tacked on when he checked out.
Sold.

Ours are kept in the guest room binder on the first page, followed by the next five nearest restaurant menus, We also made a dvd on the homes history with vintage photos inside the binder and offer the dvd for sale in out gift shop. The dvd has saved us from the endless morning dribble by answering most of the questions. Then in each room is a smallish frame explaining those things in short one sentence burst that every other guest seems to ask. Questions like how long have you lived here and did the home come furnished. I have these frames throughout the home in every room so it kinda makes it like a scavenger hunt for them. No two frames have the same question on them and the golden room at check in and basically the only ruleis if a room is closed please respect the privacy of that room otherwise feel free to explore.

Ours are kept in the guest room binder on the first page, followed by the next five nearest restaurant menus, We also made a dvd on the homes history with vintage photos inside the binder and offer the dvd for sale in out gift shop. The dvd has saved us from the endless morning dribble by answering most of the questions. Then in each room is a smallish frame explaining those things in short one sentence burst that every other guest seems to ask. Questions like how long have you lived here and did the home come furnished. I have these frames throughout the home in every room so it kinda makes it like a scavenger hunt for them. No two frames have the same question on them and the golden room at check in and basically the only ruleis if a room is closed please respect the privacy of that room otherwise feel free to explore..
We wish guests would respect closed doors. Again today we found a bathroom in an unrented room had been used. Toilet plugged solid and not a word mentioned to us of the problem. Do the guests think it's OK to leave that mess for the next guest? Or do they simply think we clean every room everyday whether it was rented or not?
I still don't understand how they thought it was ok to try all the doors and let themselves into another room. Maybe THAT guest just stepped out for coffee in the morning!
We only found it because we decided to clean carpets today and went into the room.

Ours are kept in the guest room binder on the first page, followed by the next five nearest restaurant menus, We also made a dvd on the homes history with vintage photos inside the binder and offer the dvd for sale in out gift shop. The dvd has saved us from the endless morning dribble by answering most of the questions. Then in each room is a smallish frame explaining those things in short one sentence burst that every other guest seems to ask. Questions like how long have you lived here and did the home come furnished. I have these frames throughout the home in every room so it kinda makes it like a scavenger hunt for them. No two frames have the same question on them and the golden room at check in and basically the only ruleis if a room is closed please respect the privacy of that room otherwise feel free to explore..
We wish guests would respect closed doors. Again today we found a bathroom in an unrented room had been used. Toilet plugged solid and not a word mentioned to us of the problem. Do the guests think it's OK to leave that mess for the next guest? Or do they simply think we clean every room everyday whether it was rented or not?
I still don't understand how they thought it was ok to try all the doors and let themselves into another room. Maybe THAT guest just stepped out for coffee in the morning!
We only found it because we decided to clean carpets today and went into the room.
How many times can we say "LOCK THE DOORS"! Damn inconsiderate guests!!!

How many times can we say "LOCK THE DOORS"! Damn inconsiderate guests!!!
Well, I went from open to closed. I guess locked is next. And this is the second time in a week. Last time I found the guest IN the room. Drunk.

Back