Which part of ......?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funnily enough I would NEVER text a guest because it is cold and impersonal and more importantly they are more than likely driving ... but again thats just my personal opinion not to mention that I don't know if they know how to read or use text messages or don't have a texting plan and have to pay per text message. I DO know they can use a phone

True, but my optician's office asked if they could text when my glasses were ready, and I loved it. Maybe just an option for some guests; to me it would feel like less pressure. Personally I would not mind a text asking about arrival times (which can change according to road conditions, etc.) and giving self-check-in info if necessary.

But sometime it is the innkeeper who has to contact the guest. I wouldn't mind a text and further instructions, if the innkeeper knew that that was a preferred method.

I agree.... Have a check-in time or range. Hope that you can get your guests to somehow pinpoint it with your rez system so you might be able to plan better. Then, just get on with your day. And try to keep your sense of humor.
regular_smile.gif

If I am a guest who is hours late, I should not be offended by a call or text from the innkeeper. Or leave an incoming guest a note. "I had to run Sebastian out to his tuba lessons. Welcome! Here are your instructions."
A lot of guests who frequent B&Bs/inns know that it can be a one-(wo)man show at the inn.

I agree.... Have a check-in time or range. Hope that you can get your guests to somehow pinpoint it with your rez system so you might be able to plan better. Then, just get on with your day. And try to keep your sense of humor.
regular_smile.gif

If I am a guest who is hours late, I should not be offended by a call or text from the innkeeper. Or leave an incoming guest a note. "I had to run Sebastian out to his tuba lessons. Welcome! Here are your instructions."
A lot of guests who frequent B&Bs/inns know that it can be a one-(wo)man show at the inn..
God bless Sebastian and his tuba. I might use that one myself.

regular_smile.gif

A lot of guests who frequent B&Bs/inns know that it can be a one-(wo)man show at the inn..
Alibi Ike said:
Even Sebastian's parents burnt out eventually... :) Gotta do what we gotta do, and let the guests do what they gotta do. (I am getting so wise.)
shades_smile.gif

I know...how about having a check-in time.
Period. Full stop.
I find all of this very silly. Yes, you can remind me of this when I am pacing the walls when the guests aren't here when they say they will be. But let them BE ON VACATION ALREADY. I am not any guests apron string.
In fact DON'T CALL ME BECAUSE YOU ARE AN HOUR OUT! PLEASE, DON'T! Let me do my thing, and expect you at check in time. I am not your personal lacky, when you arrive I will be here and greet you at the door and welcome you to the inn and show you to your room with a smile. :)

If I am having a super efficient day I sometimes text my arrivals and say "your room is now ready free to check in" and that hurrys them on and frees up my day. It is different as I have a chamber maid to do the rooms but I would rather check them in a bit early than be hanging about all day while they are out shopping.

Sorry, but it would rub me the wrong way as a guest to have to call the innkeeper 30-60 minutes before my arrival. Give me a check-in time frame and I'll be there or I'll call as soon as I realize I won't actually make it in that time frame..
I am with you. I want a time frame to check in as a guest.
Most of the time I send a quick e-mail a couple of days before to tell them we are looking forward to their visit and if they need anything just give us a call. That reminds them and lets them know we are here if they need us. I also remind them very nicely that check in is between 4 and 6 and if they are coming late please let me know.
I try to keep it very short because they won't read a ton of things.
I found this is a great way to remind them. I would be afraid if I did it the day of they would be gong already and not always able to check the e-mail.

Camberly, I think that is very wise and considerate to both you and your guests!
And I liked Tom's thoughts on adding to the experience while not subtracting from the convenience!

Three days before the reservation, my online reservation sends this message to the guests.
Your reservation is almost here! Check-in is between 4 PM and 7 PM (unless prior arrangements have been made) so we can be sure to be here to greet you. We are looking forward to welcoming you to our home.
Please let us know if you need directions or information about the area before you arrive.
Have a pleasant journey

Sorry, but it would rub me the wrong way as a guest to have to call the innkeeper 30-60 minutes before my arrival. Give me a check-in time frame and I'll be there or I'll call as soon as I realize I won't actually make it in that time frame..
Most of the time I send a quick e-mail a couple of days before to tell them we are looking forward to their visit and if they need anything just give us a call. That reminds them and lets them know we are here if they need us. I also remind them very nicely that check in is between 4 and 6 and if they are coming late please let me know.
I found this is a great way to remind them. I would be afraid if I did it the day of they would be gong already and not always able to check the e-mail.
I did pretty much the same thing. My rez system allowed me to set up reminders so I'd schedule a reminder to send another confirmation a 4-5 days prior to their arrival date. It basically had all their reservation info again and I had a line or two in there about emailing or calling if they weren't going to arrive as scheduled. It worked very well.

I did pretty much the same thing. My rez system allowed me to set up reminders so I'd schedule a reminder to send another confirmation a 4-5 days prior to their arrival date. It basically had all their reservation info again and I had a line or two in there about emailing or calling if they weren't going to arrive as scheduled. It worked very well.
I will be doing this now to show the deposit has been taken. And to ask about any add ons for the upcoming stay.

Three days before the reservation, my online reservation sends this message to the guests.
Your reservation is almost here! Check-in is between 4 PM and 7 PM (unless prior arrangements have been made) so we can be sure to be here to greet you. We are looking forward to welcoming you to our home.
Please let us know if you need directions or information about the area before you arrive.
Have a pleasant journey.
I think this is nice. I have a few questions....
Does this go out automatically?.
If they have made prior arrangements to check-in outside of your check-in hours, do they still get this same wording? Doesn't that confuse them in some way?
Other than those questions, I think it's brilliant

Have a pleasant journey.
I think this is nice. I have a few questions....
Does this go out automatically?.
If they have made prior arrangements to check-in outside of your check-in hours, do they still get this same wording? Doesn't that confuse them in some way?
Other than those questions, I think it's brilliant
This goes out automatically with the ReservationKey system. yes, all get the same message - unless I remember to customize it - but they know if they have made prior arrangements as in the couple who were arriving around Noon or 1 and we were setting up our exhibit at Mountainfest. That couple was instructed to go to City Hall when they arrived and someone from the City would come let them in - the recreation coordinator did it because the City Manager was busy. One of the advantages of living in a very small city and being involved in EVERYTHING!

I like to think that I'm a considerate guest, but even I would balk at needing to call when I'm such and such time away...firstly even though we are good with maps, anything can happen and though I think I'm an hour away I could be 2-3 and now I have to call again. This would stress me out. Give me a check-in time, and if I'm not going to make it I'll call. Just my two cents, but then we are large and I can' imagine have to field all those calls every day. It's different for each situation.

agoodman said:
and if you are "not going to make it" do you just expect that the Innkeeper should now change THEIR plans because yours have changed?? I would consider that very inconsiderate especially since you know what its like to have waited around and / or planned their day around you.
If I were traveling and not going to make it in the regular time frame, I would expect to call the innkeeper and not be given an attitude. Is it inconvenient? Sure. Is it part of customer service? You bet. You wouldn't have to be there, but tell me where the key is and what I need to do to check myself in.
I'm afraid we as innkeepers can't have it both ways...if we want to be more mainstream and enjoy more business because of it, then we're going to have to offer a lot of what hotels do which means a more flexible check-in.

and if you are "not going to make it" do you just expect that the Innkeeper should now change THEIR plans because yours have changed?? I would consider that very inconsiderate especially since you know what its like to have waited around and / or planned their day around you.
and I should probably add that since you are "large" you probably have more staff than most of us do which gives you a little more flexibility in being able to change plans

Back